Groveboox / drumcomputer / multipads

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What is your opinion on these three products.

Groovebox / Drumcomputer / Multipads.

I am wondering about the most relevant to use for Trance / Techno.

There are the Roland / Elektron, etc ...

But wouldn't the multipads offer greater creative flexibility?

For example the Strike from Alesis.

An alternative to the Roland / Elektron?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

You have probably already done this, but I would search extensively for longer-term user reviews on durability. I think in some cases I've seen reviews talking about double-hits or inactive pads after only a few months.

Good luck in your search.

Thank you very much for your reply and your warning for the pads.

Yes indeed, I would like to have feedback on this kind of device in the short / medium / long term.

For a multipads still 600 euros a good budget, if not reliable, not at all interesting.

To me it makes no sense to use a multipad for trance or techno. Drums are sequenced, not played in these genres.
Elektron doesn't have a product with pads, so I'm not sure what you are comparing.

Thanks for your feedback.

Here I am not comparing, I am asking myself the question in relation to the use, creativity.

With an Alesis multipads, for example, it is possible to add your own samples to it, I tell myself that it is easier to compose with a multipads, more flexible, than with for example Elektron, which can be much more tedious.

We use very clearly more Roland, Elektron for these musical styles, I know that very well.

Here the question is in relation to an alternative between Groovebox / Drumcomputer, can the Multipads be this alternative.

Take a look at the MPC line up. A used Akai Force might be worth a look. I have a Live II and its a portable monster.

roman.i wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:34 pm Elektron doesn't have a product with pads, so I'm not sure what you are comparing.
The Analog Rytm has pads

Forgot that it has pads.
Anyway, my take on this is that a controller doesn't help too much with the creativity.
I'm using now Elektron Octatrack and a Digitone, and it's a different level of creativity that I had in a daw.
Regarding pads, I see them exclusively used for low bpm electronic music production, hip hop etc, you're not going to play pads at 140bpm are you?
For techno Elektron is the best fit. Save some money, get the real thing.

Thank you for your answers.

I looked at Akai and not really what I'm looking for a solution.

Yes Elektron seems ideal for Techno, but what I hear on YouTube for example is very similar and certainly does not show the potential of the machine. Considering the price, I hesitate to take the step to take an Elektron Rythm MK2, maybe Digitakt would already be a good solution.

Then learning Elektron not easy, so hesitation to buy.

I looked at Roland, the Tr8s not bad, the Mc 707 is more complete, on the other hand the ergonomics, the workflow and the spontaneity of creation seem really spoiled by menus and sub menus.

Regarding the multipads, it is true, not a good solution. I thought a good alternative, but not really.

Trancer wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:29 pm Then learning Elektron not easy, so hesitation to buy.
Learning Elektron machines is not hard...

Thank you for your reply.

Ah good, happy to read it.

This is what is often said for Elektron machines, a very powerful machine, but on the other hand, learning is not easy.

Manipulations in menus and submenus a little tedious apparently.

Really tempted but still hesitant.

But wouldn't the multipads offer greater creative flexibility?
You have the same flexibility no matter what you use really, just different ways to do a thing.
I wanted a pad sequencer that was simpler, so I got a Circuit Tracks, but it is less flexible than a DAW. That wasn't the point, the point was ease of doing something for drums. But after I got it I realized I would rather also have a sound engine for additional sound and not my old samples so I started looking around and see all the drum synths. Do you prioritize sequencing? or type of sound? or do you want something that is not an average groovebox ?
All of these questions you must ask yourself like I am now.

Trancer wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:57 am This is what is often said for Elektron machines, a very powerful machine, but on the other hand, learning is not easy.
This is only relevant to Octatrack, other machines not hard at all.

Thank you for your answers.

I research well on the sound and the sequencing, what gives life to the sound and what makes it interesting in its evolution.

On the other hand, the goal is to make music and not to spend my time in excessive programming.

So the sound is important, so is the sequencing, but also very important a fairly immediate access to the sound and its rendering.

Thanks for the info for the Octatrack, I thought it was for the Analog Rythm MK2 as well.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”