Audio Setup - in and out!

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm trying to set up input to my interface (RODE AI-1) and the output to Built-in (out of the iMac). It seems I have to choose in/out from one source . . . not in from one and out from another. Is there a way?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tommyzai on Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The only way i see is try setting up an aggregate device using the ins/outs you want.

Nb: Tommy, can you please avoid the capitals in topic titles. It feels like shouting.
Also the "Help needed" is a bit redundant.

mutools wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:56 am The only way i see is try setting up an aggregate device using the ins/outs you want.
Having the output going through the interface introduces additional lag; yet, the input needs to go via the interface. Would an aggregate device introduce any latency issues? I'm trying to keep the setup simple and smooth . . . limiting steps and limiting lag.

tommyzai wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:41 pm Would an aggregate device introduce any latency issues?
I don't know, that's outside MuLab. Rather a question for an Apple support forum.
I'm trying to keep the setup simple and smooth
In that case i recommend to simply choose your RODE AI-1 as audio in+out device. No need for an aggregate device then. That's simple and solid.

mutools wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:06 pm
tommyzai wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:41 pm Would an aggregate device introduce any latency issues?
I don't know, that's outside MuLab. Rather a question for an Apple support forum.
I'm trying to keep the setup simple and smooth
In that case i recommend to simply choose your RODE AI-1 as audio in+out device. No need for an aggregate device then. That's simple and solid.
I've been warned not to monitor via the interface due to latency, but that's something worthy of another thread, I think. ;-)

It seems routing back through my interface might be the only reasonable configuration. I would have to monitor/record via the headphones jack on my interface and then have the global output via the system setting to listen. Does that sound like a reasonable setup?

I found that the best way for me to deal with the in/out with my interface (device) is to use the interface for recording and the system for playback. This requires that I switch back and forth frequently. I wonder if there is a way for me/users to have a button or key command to make the device change faster?

You could assign a shortcut to "Audio Setup".
Though i won't recommend changing your audio setup all the time.

I wonder what's wrong with your Rode's output?
Why not simply use the Rode as the input & output device?

tommyzai wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:13 pmI've been warned not to monitor via the interface due to latency
By whom?

Your Rode A-1 has direct monitoring.

Send everything through your interface. Enjoy noodling!

So what if there is ms of latency somewhere. Just move the audio. You probably will anyway, being you are not a droid or a drummer.
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Return to “MUTOOLS”