Transient splitter?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there a plugin that allows to split signal into transient and non-transient part?
Either output / render each of these separately as an audio, or apply arbitrary effect chain to each part.

I'm Ableton user, so could try M4L devices as well.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Boz transgressor 2 is pretty much what you're looking for. Its level dependent though. It allows for eq transient and sustain part independently inside a plugin. If you put 2 instances on 2 the same tracks you can get what you're looking for. Its a great special case transient designer anyway

Why-d'yo wanna do dat for?

Kinh wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:14 pm Why-d'yo wanna do dat for?
In order to apply heavy processing to the body of signal, but not losing the sharpness of transients. An example is heavy compression / saturation, but also special effects like phaser.

Then, I realized I use a lot of strong linear-phase EQ, which inevitably destroys transients. So I could improve that as well.
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Eventide Physion or Wavesfactory Quantum come to mind.

DJ Warmonger wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:52 pm
In order to apply heavy processing to the body of signal, but not losing the sharpness of transients. An example is heavy compression / saturation, but also special effects like phaser.

Then, I realized I use a lot of strong linear-phase EQ, which inevitably destroys transients. So I could improve that as well.
Work in parallel would do the trick better i guess

DJ Warmonger wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:52 pm

Another trick would be to apply the effects you want and adjust the transients then.
But feel free to work the way you like.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

Melda MXXX core tonal/transient crossover module
Or izotope rx

Or spiff one instance in delta, one processing
Or eventide spliteq
Or sonible entropy eq

Also fabfilter plugins now have transient detector which you can map to dial out fx on transients (i.e inverse map drive in saturn2)

Route to 2 channels...

1 channel, transient control, Body to minimum (this is your 'transient' portion)
1 channel, transient control, Attack to minimum (this is your 'body' portion)
Mix to suit

Alright, I finally bought Quantum. Even though I don't need it's onboard effects :P

Transgressor 2 semed cheap, but it wasn't transparent. Produced noticeable rining on percussion ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Others were infected protected by iLok.
1 channel, transient control, Body to minimum (this is your 'transient' portion)
1 channel, transient control, Attack to minimum (this is your 'body' portion)
You mean the synth? How about samples / loops?

Besides, it makes it difficult to tweak the synth later on.

Isn't this is what Eventide's new SplitEQ does. I've been thinking of buying it, but spent too much on BF already.

Check out Melda-Production. All their MultiBand-FX have since long redefined Multiband to not only be Frequency-Bands, but Left-Right, Transient-Tonal, M/S, whatever split you like I would say... In MSF and MXXX you have splitters as Modules, as somebody already mentioned.

Then there's bitwig which has a Transient-Control Module. On top of doing processing it does emit control signals that you can use to modulate any other thing in Bitwig...

You can also use two instances of the free MRatioMB. Set both in Transient/Tonal mode with the same settings and mute the opposite band in both instances. If your DAW supports macro controls, you can use those to keep both instances in sync.

DJ Warmonger wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:52 pm Then, I realized I use a lot of strong linear-phase EQ, which inevitably destroys transients. So I could improve that as well.
When you find yourself using linear phase eq, you're doing it very wrong. And if you're doing this wrong, most likely you do wrong a lot of other things. You don't even need a transient/sustain splitter, probably you just need better ears (or monitoring or both) to help achieve what you want with usual tools because it is achievable. Anything you heard by now was made without Split EQ, without gullfoss, without soothe or any other new "smart/specialized" plugins.

The very specialized tools are rarely needed IRL and mostly to repair damaged material. Think simpler and you're set (beginners use to overcomplicate things immensely).

sircuit wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:27 pm
DJ Warmonger wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:52 pm Then, I realized I use a lot of strong linear-phase EQ, which inevitably destroys transients. So I could improve that as well.
When you find yourself using linear phase eq, you're doing it very wrong. And if you're doing this wrong, most likely you do wrong a lot of other things. You don't even need a transient/sustain splitter, probably you just need better ears (or monitoring or both) to help achieve what you want with usual tools because it is achievable. Anything you heard by now was made without Split EQ, without gullfoss, without soothe or any other new "smart/specialized" plugins.

The very specialized tools are rarely needed IRL and mostly to repair damaged material. Think simpler and you're set (beginners use to overcomplicate things immensely).
preach

Return to “Effects”