Synapse Audio - Dune 3.5 Released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pdxindy wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:11 am I get lots of cpu spikes with Dune 3.5 and Bitwig 4.1 (same with 4.0). This is with the new 16" M1-Pro MBP and project @96khz. I made a clip with maybe 4-6 notes polyphony and duplicated the track until there were 12 tracks and the spikes caused crackles. I switched to RePro-5 and even with 24 tracks there was plenty of cpu left.
Did you report this to Synapse? I'm on Windows so can't test any issues with M1.

Someone else reported a similar issue at the Synapse forums but it apparently has to do with the Bitwig Beta:

https://forum.synapse-audio.com/viewtop ... =0#p120507

I can pass your report along in case Richard or Marcin don't see it here but I'd suggest making reports at the Synapse forums as posts can get buried pretty quickly here.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:43 pm
zeph wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:38 pm When are we getting our BF sale at Synapse !!! Why are they keeping us waiting for so long !! :help: :help: :pray: :pray:
Richard did say....
Richard_Synapse wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:54 am We'll see about BF once the free demos for DUNE 3.5 are uploaded. The demos (Mac/PC) should be available later today.
Richard
The new demos dropped about an hour ago so....

It's still Wednesday here but I realize in places like Australia it's probably already December.

Patience I guess...not Black Friday yet...... :shrug:
If they are mutated they would not be the carefully created presets I made to start with. :hihi:

I take pride in my work, I would hope others do too. :tu:

pdxindy wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:11 am I get lots of cpu spikes with Dune 3.5 and Bitwig 4.1 (same with 4.0). This is with the new 16" M1-Pro MBP and project @96khz. I made a clip with maybe 4-6 notes polyphony and duplicated the track until there were 12 tracks and the spikes caused crackles. I switched to RePro-5 and even with 24 tracks there was plenty of cpu left.
Is this with Multithreading enabled or disabled? (it should be disabled in this case). Also, which patch(es) exactly are you using/comparing? The CPU usage varies substantially depending on the number of layers/voices in a patch, which filters/fx are used, etc.

Richard
Last edited by Richard_Synapse on Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

Teksonik wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:13 pm
vurt wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:55 pm do you think you'd hear it?
sadly there's nothing you can do, as it's not like it retains any identifying data?
Actually the parent patch names are noted and saved in the patch info window but....well I'll just leave it at that.
Easily deleted

Nuff said...

Same strange behavior here with Logic.

After some testing, I observed that DUNE uses the last CPU core max out (cause of crackles, I guess), and other cores remain consistent even as low as 25% cpu usage.

Hive 2 with the same method, all cores are mostly the same.

MBA M1, Logic 10.7.1, DUNE AU 3.512, audio settings: 8 (4 High Performance Cores), 128 samples

Biome_Digital wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:39 pm
sadly there's nothing you can do, as it's not like it retains any identifying data?
Actually the parent patch names are noted and saved in the patch info window but....well I'll just leave it at that.
Easily deleted
so my biotek bank is a go! :party:

:?

Richard_Synapse wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:32 pm
Is this with Multithreading enabled or disabled? (it should be disabled in this case). Also, which patch(es) exactly are you using/comparing? The CPU usage varies substantially depending on the number of layers/voices in a patch, which filters/fx are used, etc.

Richard
thanks for the reply...

Multithreading was enabled, but it is the same with multithreading off.

However, I now have some further information. Bitwig has different plugin hosting options. I use "Together" as my default. When I switch to "Within Bitwig" the cpu spikes stop in Dune 3.5 and I can add 100 duplicate tracks of Dune playing 4-6 note polyphony without being close to cpu overload.

Bitwig is not sure if it is a Bitwig issue, a Mac OS issue, or plugin issue. They are investigating.

AnX wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:48 am Hopefully with better graphics :lol:

I think this was mentioned on the beta forum, possibly by Mark.
I mentioned applying genetics to the mod matrix, but you could achieve the same thing as Animoog that way I guess.
Wavetables for DUNE2/3, Blofeld, IL Harmor, Hive and Serum etc: http://charlesdickens.neocities.org/
£10 for lifetime updates including wavetable editor for Windows.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/markholt

Biome_Digital wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:39 pm
------
Yea that's why I said I'll leave it at that...... :dog:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

cytospur wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:21 pm
AnX wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:48 am Hopefully with better graphics :lol:
I think this was mentioned on the beta forum, possibly by Mark.
I mentioned applying genetics to the mod matrix, but you could achieve the same thing as Animoog that way I guess.
Genetics are applied to the MM now or did you have something else in mind?

I think the Animoog thing he's asking for is Randomize which is different from Genetics.

What would be the point of choosing three parent patches then excluding for example the LFO Genetics from the child patch?

What value would the LFO's have then? Default or the values in Parent 1 or Parent 2 or Parent 3 or ? :?

I meant a more focussed way of applying Genetics in the MM. I already know that it works there, I just think it could be better than it is now. Blame it on my brevity ;)

Genetics is a great idea, random not so much, unless you can apply some constraints, in which case you're halfway to making the patch anyway.
Wavetables for DUNE2/3, Blofeld, IL Harmor, Hive and Serum etc: http://charlesdickens.neocities.org/
£10 for lifetime updates including wavetable editor for Windows.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/markholt

Wow, very generous BF offer, outstanding.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

pdxindy wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:18 pm Multithreading was enabled, but it is the same with multithreading off.

However, I now have some further information. Bitwig has different plugin hosting options. I use "Together" as my default. When I switch to "Within Bitwig" the cpu spikes stop in Dune 3.5 and I can add 100 duplicate tracks of Dune playing 4-6 note polyphony without being close to cpu overload.

Bitwig is not sure if it is a Bitwig issue, a Mac OS issue, or plugin issue. They are investigating.
Thank you for the reply, this is very good to know, should someone else stumble into this. So far we have very positive experience with Bitwig support, so in case we need their help or vice versa, it should be possible to sort it out.

A note on Multithreading on M1. All M1 cpus are currently divided into "performance" and "efficiency" cores. At this point we do not know exactly what the impact of this is regarding plugin multithreading. We could end up rendering some voices on an efficiency core, which may slow down things. Perhaps we should set MT=off on M1 by default, if it isn't already.

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

XorXisT wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:57 pm Same strange behavior here with Logic.

After some testing, I observed that DUNE uses the last CPU core max out (cause of crackles, I guess), and other cores remain consistent even as low as 25% cpu usage.

Hive 2 with the same method, all cores are mostly the same.

MBA M1, Logic 10.7.1, DUNE AU 3.512, audio settings: 8 (4 High Performance Cores), 128 samples
Just tested with Multithreading = OFF and voila! :tu: No more spikes and all cores are mostly the same %.

So yeah, Multithreading should be OFF by default.

Return to “Instruments”