UVI Falcon - hybrid instrument - version 3.01 released - rumors, ads, praise, mud wrestling and off-topic inside!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Sale is on now, 30% on everything.

otristan wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:33 am Well it's not that artificial if you live in the US.
That's the day off between Thanksgiving and the week-end.
Having a sale on BF is as artificial as having it on November. It's all sales tactics.
I tend to want to keep tradition but that's my opinion.
Does that mean Falcon will never get a modern UI? :D

I hope that doesn't mean that you never get some brain

rasmusklump wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:26 pm I hope that doesn't mean that you never get some brain
Sorry if I offended you, but objectively speaking, Falcon's UI is severely outdated. You might prefer it that way, and that's fine.

Personally I don't enjoy having to do a dozen clicks when one would suffice. Like in the case of not being able to reorder effects in the tree view.

pierb wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:34 pm but objectively speaking,
That's just your subjective opinion, man.... :wink:

otristan wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:46 am Black friday is black friday, not end of november.
It's sad that some company need to start earlier just to be the first and now you get stuff like black month...
Very sad indeed. What day did the sale start?
:wink:

digitallysane wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:01 pm
I wish. The number of clicks it takes to accomplish something is an objective measure.

pierb wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:26 am
digitallysane wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:01 pm
I wish. The number of clicks it takes to accomplish something is an objective measure.
But not the only one.
I know your opinion about Falcon's UI and it's objectively just an opinion.

pierb wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:34 pm Sorry if I offended you, but objectively speaking, Falcon's UI is severely outdated. You might prefer it that way, and that's fine.
I don’t agree. Falcon GUI is resizable, 4K and runs with smooth 60fps on macOS, objectively unlike 80% of other guis. One maybe could improve the arrangement or details like scrolling (magic trackpad gesture), shortcuts, etc but I think overall it is a very good gui system. Also it uses juce as a solid Codebase. For example Steinberg halion GUI feels extremely outdated in comparison, just like an Oldschool vstgui thing.

Biome_Digital wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:48 pm
otristan wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:46 am Black friday is black friday, not end of november.
It's sad that some company need to start earlier just to be the first and now you get stuff like black month...
Very sad indeed. What day did the sale start?
:wink:
Where it was almost Friday somewhere in the world (because of timezone) ;)
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:51 am
pierb wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:34 pm Sorry if I offended you, but objectively speaking, Falcon's UI is severely outdated. You might prefer it that way, and that's fine.
I don’t agree. Falcon GUI is resizable, 4K and runs with smooth 60fps on macOS, objectively unlike 80% of other guis. One maybe could improve the arrangement or details like scrolling (magic trackpad gesture), shortcuts, etc but I think overall it is a very good gui system. Also it uses juce as a solid Codebase. For example Steinberg halion GUI feels extremely outdated in comparison, just like an Oldschool vstgui thing.
I don't think Falcon looks outdated. In fact some elements of it look very nice. New filters, digital eq, sparkverb, sequencers. There's always improvents to be made on anything.

Yea or Kontakt.

omnisphere look way more outdated to me, falcon look fine but lot of improvement can be made with worflow i guess for version 3

Zebra was resizable 15 years ago. This is not the sign of a modern UI anymore. Also, it definitely doesn't run at 60fps on my Windows machine (Ryzen 3700X + GTX1070) when using it in a 4K monitor in hiDPI. It seems to run mostly at 30fps, and some parts of it seem to run at less than 10fps. I could post a video to showcase this. It also doesn't seem like the rendering is GPU accelerated which is what I would expect of a modern UI (see Vital for example).

But my main complaint when declaring it outdated is about the usability and not the rendering engine itself or the aesthetics. I've already written a couple of examples in previous comments so I won't elaborate.

In any case, I hope my comments are taken as constructive criticism. My frustration with Falcon comes from the fact that UVI have this amazingly powerful DSP beast, but doesn't seem to have much interest in improving its usability. Even very simple minor improvements (eg: reordering FX in the tree) could make a major impact in the product.

FWIW, you can enable OpenGL rendering in the pref panel.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

Return to “Instruments”