Goodbye, dear plugin! Those that won't make the Apple M1 transition

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:18 pm
Sinisterbr wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:23 pm You know, unlike some of you here, I'd like to be able to play some of my most beloved softsynths 20 years from now. So, I hope you're right, and it won't be that difficult to make them work by then.
BTW, that's one of the very reasons I don't consider switching to Apple at all. When they say something is over, it's over (I already owned Apple gear), and I don't like feeling that powerless.
its not that i don't want some of the older things, it's nice if they are updated.
but things move forward, crystal is nice, but there are newer things which are also nice.
if something isn't updated, we have to move on or lament losses.
or as others have suggested, legacy rig. then you can use it as a hw synth module on your new more powerful computer, but, use the whole old computer just to run crystal, then adding fx to the audio in the recording pc :band:
I'm nearly out of the old but still use a few old bits,seeing as I have FL that works as a wrapper too
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

vurt wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:35 pm
Sinisterbr wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:33 pm Actually, maybe I should be clear: All the softsynths I'd like to be playing 20 years ahead are modern ones (like Massive X, or Factory), none are 32-bit.
but in 20 years, there might be far better options?
I'm sure there'll be, but I'm also sure I'll still love these ones. In the last 5 years most soft synths have passed past a quality threshold for me (as they deal with aliasing much better than older ones, for example).
Besides, as I said before, they are real musical instruments to me, and I'm very fond of them.

im sure any good ones will be updated for a while?

and yes, they are real instruments, no argument there. not physical but the music they make is real, so yeah.

well i hope you get to keep some of them :)
but i also hope, you won't be too down about the ones you can't keep, and enjoy the new ones too.

not sure why im bothering tbh, not even sure ill be around in 20 years :lol:

:-o

zerocrossing wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:12 pm Yeah, they are 32 bit. Bitwig can run them with no issues that I’ve noticed. What’s more of an issue is, do you want to run old plugins when they’ve often been surpassed by modern ones. For instance, I still use Möbius but lately I’ve been using MSuperLooper because of the vast effects processing built in.
I don't have a single old plugin that I have any interest in keeping. New stuff today is better in all the ways that matter to me. These days, sound quality, GUI's, preset browsers, etc. are all better than anything from 15-20 years ago.

pdxindy wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:03 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:12 pm Yeah, they are 32 bit. Bitwig can run them with no issues that I’ve noticed. What’s more of an issue is, do you want to run old plugins when they’ve often been surpassed by modern ones. For instance, I still use Möbius but lately I’ve been using MSuperLooper because of the vast effects processing built in.
I don't have a single old plugin that I have any interest in keeping. New stuff today is better in all the ways that matter to me. These days, sound quality, GUI's, preset browsers, etc. are all better than anything from 15-20 years ago.
Agreed. Only recently plugins got really good and enjoyable to me.
Now they're finally good enough (up to a point I'd like to keep them).

I cannot wait for the day when companies will develop and release emulations of "vintage plugins." I bet that in 2040 Arturia will release something like Ultra Vintage Collection 1 that emulates Vintage Collection 1 to recapture the magic of software synths circa 2010.

zerocrossing wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:09 pm
Ploki wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:43 pm @zerocrossing:
I can run my rme firewire ff800 that came out in 2004 on my M1.
What do you want to run on new macs, SCSI?
It’s not apple’s fault some manufacturer plan obsolescence after 3 years.
How are you connecting it? Is there some sort of converter?
Yes. It’s terrible but still so reliable i can do live show with it with calm nerves
1. Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) > thunderbolt 2
2. Thunderbolt2 > fw800
3. FW cable

pdxindy wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:03 pm I don't have a single old plugin that I have any interest in keeping. New stuff today is better in all the ways that matter to me. These days, sound quality, GUI's, preset browsers, etc. are all better than anything from 15-20 years ago.
They are indeed.

I still actually have the ability to run my 20 year old plugins today, as I still have my old machines that all work fine to this day.

The thing is though, even though I have the ability, I never do bother. I think the last time I actually bothered to use any of my "vintage" plugins was many years ago.

I still keep my old stuff around for old times sake, but it's not because they are necessary or useful to me.

Plugins have come a long way since the early 2000's.

Ploki wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:04 pm
Yes. It’s terrible but still so reliable i can do live show with it with calm nerves
1. Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) > thunderbolt 2
2. Thunderbolt2 > fw800
3. FW cable
Ow! There's no T3->FW800 directly? I guess FW is now dead...

I was pretty mad when my new Mac came with only a FW800 port and I had to get a 800->400 converter. I thought cables that were 400 on one end and 800 on the other were kinda weird.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

syntonica wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:24 pm I guess FW is now dead...
I think that FW has been dead for many years now already, even though some people still use it in their set ups. :)

I actually still do use a FW interface because I like it and it still works good and I like the sound of it (Apogee Duet Firewire), but when I get my next machine, It'll be time to get a new interface.

vurt wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:52 pm well i hope you get to keep some of them :)
but i also hope, you won't be too down about the ones you can't keep, and enjoy the new ones too.
Thank you, Vurt. Well, I may get saddened a little but I have a bunch of synths, I suppose most may still work by then. And I probably still have at least a decade with them, so plenty of time to enjoy :)

I would need to keep my interface, a QuataFire 610. There is no replacement of that size with 8 outputs for my octophonic sets… Its reliable for decades. And the extra adapter certainly is cheaper than any replacement… Most newer firewire interfaces have an additional USB(2) port which can be used as well…
When Apple cut 32-bit on iOS, I waited until some tools arrived I wanted to have and would not run anymore on my old system. I had to trash some 30+ apps and didn’t miss a single one… I guess the same would happen after a switch to a M1 machine, though I won’t trash my trash can Mac Pro, that can keep a collection of all those mostly unused 32-bit synths, and in addition all those unused Windows only plugins in a virtual machine… I can even keep PPC apps and plugins in a VM running Snow Leopard… And not to forget a copy of Max 3 in Sheepshaver and one in Basilisk for 68000 compatibility… ; - )
Its just my personal museum…

Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:50 pm ...I can even keep PPC apps and plugins in a VM running Snow Leopard… And not to forget a copy of Max 3 in Sheepshaver and one in Basilisk for 68000 compatibility… ; - )
Its just my personal museum…
I love it when you talk dirty... :love:

I still have a G4 PowerBook to run PPC/OS9 applications, as well as a number of SheepShaver and Basilisk virtual images to run anything else. I've cleaned out my Mac closet and discarded a 180c and two 5400s. I kinda miss them, but I never needed them anymore and I feel lighter! :harp:
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

fisherKing wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:30 pm
T-CM11 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:25 pm
fisherKing wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:02 pm progress (not always easy, or perfect) is still, good for everyone...
I'll burn your house down and cut off your leg. Then I'll sell you a new house and prosthetic. Progress! Inspirational! 8)

Some people say: the musician is important, not his tools. While I don't completely agree with it (as with many black/white statements), but the opposite is even sillier.

Anyway, carry on, and try applying for an Apple PR job while your at it.
haha. what? is that an attempt at an analogy? :party: personally, i think it's all important; the musician, the tools... the music. and i love my imac, but have my own issues with apple. see? am not confusing the tool with the tool maker.

also, please don't cut off my leg. thanks!
It’s just a flesh wound … I’ve had worse. :hyper:

Personally I’ve got an Other World Computing Thunderbolt 2 hub I plug my Fireface into, attached to the USBC TB3 M1 Air via a TB2 to TB3 converter.

RME are a great company, i recently purchased a Babyface FS and use that as a front end via ADAT to the FF800, which can store setting when not plugged into a computer making it a converter for it pres and line in/outs.

The firewire protocol is part of the TB3 and USBC specc.

Return to “Instruments”