A more reliable way to change parcel values with mouse wheel or keyboard

Official support for: tx16wx.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

so I use the shift option for samples/groups a lot and I need a way to quickly change the value inside of the parcel while at the same time pressing my drumpad to hear the changes. As it works now this can only be done with the mouse wheel or the left, right, up, down keys (which would be fine), but sadly those don't change the values inside of the parcels in a reliable way. For example I press "up" once on my keyboard and it changes the value to 2, then I press again with the same force and it changes to 5, you get what I mean. Also it's impossible to achieve single steps from 1 to 2 or 4 to 5 with this method.

Could you please fix this behaviour so that we have a reliable +/- 1 input through mouse wheel or arrow keys? Maybe make it +/- 1 for up/down and +/- 3 for left/right so that we have an effective way for parcels with potentially higher values as well. I would really appreciate this as it would very much improve my beatmaking workflow. I love the power of TX16Wx but these are details that might seem minor yet result in a lot of unnecessary extra clicking and pushing and what not :scared: The only alternative would be to always take one hand back from the Midi controller to the keyboard, double click the parcel, hit "delete", type in a new value, hit enter, put your hand back to the midi controller, then try another value with the same hassle. Mouse wheel/arrow keys therefore would be a perfect solution if only it was more reliable and had better tuning.

By the way: Why are fine / tune locked to +7?

Most values are mapped form a "virtual" controller space to their actual parameter space. This means that bumping them up/down +-1 can generate quite different changes. Most obvious case is time, where we not only map from a different value space, but also, to make controls manageable, map non-linearly.

That being said, I made some tweaks to the widget code to make it try to fit up/down keys at least into something that more often becomes +-1 in parameter space (when applicable). As for mouse wheel, this is between you and your mouse settings. TX cannot control how much distance a turn of the wheel reports to the app. For what it is worth, my mouse wheel settings makes scrolling single values work just fine.

Side note "parcel" seems like a very odd term which I can only attribute to translation error.

Lastly: fine/tune is not locked in any way. But there are effective limits you can run into w.r. possible tuning, depending on where you are on keyboard and the sample mapped. So need to be more specific.

In any case, you can try today's build of the beta and see if the feel of the text dials seems better for you.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

Seems to work perfectly fine now, wow! That was quick! Thank you very much for your efforts! FYI: I get +-1 steps with the arrow keys as well as my mouse wheel now. Great!

And yes, we Germans are spoiled with translations so my English sadly isn't actively utilised as often as it should be. :(

Sadly, with the latest updates it doesn't work as well anymore. Whenever I change the "Shift" value of a sample it changes + or - 3 whole values, both with the mouse wheel or the keyboard's up/down keys. I don't want to be nitpicky, but this is a real step backwards for my workflow, so could you maybe reverse whatever change happened there so that it works as before? As I said in my last post it worked perfectly after your last fix.

By the way: Changing the "Tune" value works in +/- 1 steps as before. Weird.

It is not so weird. Dials and text sliders map their virtual range (as defined by pixel distances etc) into an abstract version of actual parameter range. Doing a simple nudge +-1 is actually really tricky in a separation of concert world. Push somewhere, and it breaks somewhere else etc. But enough complaining. I've hopefully dealt with it once and for all, up/down/wheel etc should behave better in 3.5.0q now. Note for those on Mac though: TX now tries to respect wheel sensitivity (as set in OS) more, so esp. on OSX you might get a slightly less immediate feedback on wheel. OSX likes to "start small" with wheel movement.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

Good news: Seems to handle the changes well again.

Bad news: Trying to change the Lo/ Hi FK note value in the regions section with keyboard keys (when no region is set, meaning the sample is mapped to one key only) causes Reaper to get stuck (no more reaction, everything turns grey). Now it doesn't exactly make sense to change the note value in such a situation, but I think it should be fixed anyway, since doing this by accident will result in losing the project/progress.

Thank you for the quick fix!

That is not a regression afaict. I've hotfixed it - same version number (3.5.0q), but different build - 6174.1389.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

Return to “CWITEC”