Logic Pro Plugin Search Application

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
sQeetz
KVRian
676 posts since 8 Jan, 2005

Post Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:21 pm

the plugins marked with z_ are ones not ported to Apple Silicon yet...
But I think I'm pretty fast that way

https://youtu.be/VMjgdhex4H8
MacBook Pro M1 . 16GB . 1TB . . Logic Pro……Renoise……Reason

sQeetz
KVRian
676 posts since 8 Jan, 2005

Post Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:25 pm

syntonica wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:45 pm
Logic is pretty awful on searching for plugins or anything else that is not an Apple-supplied Apple Loop.
I don't really care for "searching for plugins", to be honest. I just pick one. See post above
MacBook Pro M1 . 16GB . 1TB . . Logic Pro……Renoise……Reason

User avatar
syntonica
KVRian
1231 posts since 25 Sep, 2014 from Specific Northwest

Post Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:50 pm

sQeetz wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:25 pm
syntonica wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:45 pm
Logic is pretty awful on searching for plugins or anything else that is not an Apple-supplied Apple Loop.
I don't really care for "searching for plugins", to be honest. I just pick one. See post above
I don't like to have to think of which plugin I want, and then think who the maker is to find it. Too much for my tiny brain to remember. I'd rather just type a couple of characters to get what I want, like DIV or VINT and then pick from the one or two that decide to show up. Apple just seems to be well behind the curve on organizing and finding things.

sQeetz
KVRian
676 posts since 8 Jan, 2005

Post Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:56 pm

syntonica wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:50 pm
I don't like to have to think of which plugin I want, and then think who the maker is to find it. Too much for my tiny brain to remember. I'd rather just type a couple of characters to get what I want, like DIV or VINT and then pick from the one or two that decide to show up. Apple just seems to be well behind the curve on organizing and finding things.
yapp. you do you. :) And for that to work your "tiny brain" would need to know before hand what exactly to search for...
Like I showed in the video above, organizing Plugins is not an issue on Logic at all. Of course it's a bit of work to get it the way I want, but once it's set, it's good to go.
MacBook Pro M1 . 16GB . 1TB . . Logic Pro……Renoise……Reason

sQeetz
KVRian
676 posts since 8 Jan, 2005

Post Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:27 am

syntonica wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:50 pm
... like DIV or VINT and then pick from the one or two that decide to show up.
just occurred me that if you type VINTage no matter where, plugins like Softube's Model 72 would never show up unless you specifically added such search characteristic items to it. How much different is that to categorising all your stuff in the first place?
You're kidding yourself for the sake of an arguement
Last edited by sQeetz on Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
MacBook Pro M1 . 16GB . 1TB . . Logic Pro……Renoise……Reason

User avatar
aMUSEd
KVRAF
33058 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:45 am

syntonica wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:50 pm
sQeetz wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:25 pm
syntonica wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:45 pm
Logic is pretty awful on searching for plugins or anything else that is not an Apple-supplied Apple Loop.
I don't really care for "searching for plugins", to be honest. I just pick one. See post above
I don't like to have to think of which plugin I want, and then think who the maker is to find it. Too much for my tiny brain to remember.
You don’t have to do that, you can sort plugins by category in the plugin manager

sQeetz
KVRian
676 posts since 8 Jan, 2005

Post Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:53 am

aMUSEd wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:45 am
You don’t have to do that, you can sort plugins by category in the plugin manager
That's the point I'm kinda tryna make... :o :tu:
Not very successfully if I might interject.
MacBook Pro M1 . 16GB . 1TB . . Logic Pro……Renoise……Reason

User avatar
aMUSEd
KVRAF
33058 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:24 am

Yeah, I think most people at least have an idea of the type of plugin they are looking to use so categories is the optimal way to organise plugins. Even if there was a search tool it would not find all reverbs unless I also had added them to a category 'reverbs' as they don't all have 'reverb' in the name (just realised this is an old thread and I said as much on page one).

sQeetz
KVRian
676 posts since 8 Jan, 2005

Post Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:30 am

aMUSEd wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:24 am
Yeah, I think most people at least have an idea of the type of plugin they are looking to use so categories is the optimal way to organise plugins. Even if there was a search tool it would not find all reverbs unless I also had added them to a category 'reverbs' as they don't all have 'reverb' in the name (just realised this is an old thread and I said as much on page one).
exactly :wink:
MacBook Pro M1 . 16GB . 1TB . . Logic Pro……Renoise……Reason

User avatar
syntonica
KVRian
1231 posts since 25 Sep, 2014 from Specific Northwest

Post Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:16 am

sQeetz wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:27 am
syntonica wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:50 pm
... like DIV or VINT and then pick from the one or two that decide to show up.
just occurred me that if you type VINTage no matter where, plugins like Softube's Model 72 would never show up unless you specifically added such search characteristic items to it. How much different is that to categorising all your stuff in the first place?
You're kidding yourself for the sake of an arguement
For VINT, I'm looking for Valhalla VINTage Verb.

User avatar
syntonica
KVRian
1231 posts since 25 Sep, 2014 from Specific Northwest

Post Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:35 am

sQeetz wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:27 am
How much different is that to categorising all your stuff in the first place?
A couple of hours of work that should be unnecessary if there were more advanced organization and search features rendering it unnecessary.

If this was my only annoyance with Logic, I could sit down over a weekend and put in a workaround, but Apple just continue to hang onto an ancient paradigm originally created by Emagic back whenever. Having to click on a tiny spot, consider if the plug-in I want is native or not, move to the correct folder and then continue to drill down two or three more folders to insert a plug-in is just achingly slow. Annoying. Antidiluvian. Pick one, pick all.

For how much Apple touts how great their interfaces are, Logic's is hands-down their worst. Nothing works intuitively for me and I originally started with v5, where nothing worked intuitively. They took a bad interface, put some lipstick on it, but it's the same old pig.

sQeetz
KVRian
676 posts since 8 Jan, 2005

Post Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:41 am

syntonica wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:35 am
Having to click on a tiny spot, consider if the plug-in I want is native or not, move to the correct folder and then continue to drill down two or three more folders to insert a plug-in is just achingly slow. Annoying. Antidiluvian. Pick one, pick all.
Did you even watch the video I posted? I don't really get what you're trying to say
For how much Apple touts how great their interfaces are, Logic's is hands-down their worst. Nothing works intuitively for me and I originally started with v5, where nothing worked intuitively. They took a bad interface, put some lipstick on it, but it's the same old pig.
That's a whole other story. You just don't like it. Noted :wink:
MacBook Pro M1 . 16GB . 1TB . . Logic Pro……Renoise……Reason

grdh20
KVRist
178 posts since 21 Sep, 2011

Post Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:03 pm

I just want a search tool like every other DAW, period the end. next...
{2021 Macbook Pro 16 Max, 64ram, 4tb+<4tb Samsung850-860evo ssd's in TB3 Akitio Enclosure> UAD Apollo x6-tb3/Yamaha2050/Amphion/Bowers&Wilkins/Komplete S61Mk2} latest OSX

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”