Questions for Nexus 3 owners

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nexus

Mine is still £89. I don't have a ton of new expansions or anything.

£49 feels like the upper limit of what this should be for regular Nexus 3 owners, or throw in a free expansion.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

99€ for upgrade from 3 to 4? For what again? Nah.. doesn't matter as it's totally a rip-off! What a lame dev this reFX is now. :lol:
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

If it was $49 I would get it. I own Nexus 2, 3, and about 40 expansions...so I have NO CLUE how someone got it for less than $99. Please be clear on what you did...unless trolling. :)

JonSolo wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:28 pm If it was $49 I would get it. I own Nexus 2, 3, and about 40 expansions...so I have NO CLUE how someone got it for less than $99. Please be clear on what you did...unless trolling. :)
There's a user (Calvin Ben x JKB) on YouTube saying he got the 49€ pricing. He purchased Nexus 3 six month ago, so maybe the upgrade is cheaper for people who recently upgraded to 3.

"For whatever reason the upgrade price for me changed out of the sudden from 179€ to 49€. So I went ahead with the upgrade. Still thinking just 6 months after upgrading to the major upgrade Nexus v3 this "minor" update to v4 should have been offered for free. But yeah, this guys are out there to make money of course."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxb748M81Wo

DJJD2021 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:17 pm
JonSolo wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:45 am$99
Really? I got it for far less. I think in USD it'd be like 55, although I did get nexus 3 with 12 expansions in the past
Can you tell us if presets - new and old, now come with the macro controls in the bottom left corner pre-mapped?

I noticed that the graphics make it appear the macros are mapped in V4, but I have trust issues when it comes to refx...
Screenshot 2021-11-26 at 19.12.56.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by m-ac on Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

m-ac wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:10 pm
Really? I got it for far less. I think in USD it'd be like 55, although I did get nexus 3 with 12 expansions in the past
Can you tell us if presets - new and old, now come with the macro controls in the bottom left corner pre-mapped?
I checked a Nexus 4 video on YouTube and the Macros were unassigned. That's probably a feature for Nexus 5.
Last edited by Loudness_Contour on Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

m-ac wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:46 pm
Are you trolling? Are you saying your upgrade price was listed as less than £89? How much did you pay? When did you buy V3?
Why would I be trolling? Bit of an odd thing to say...anyway, to answer your question I bought version 3 earlier this year, I believe around March time or so. It probably has something to do with how much you've paid for the expansions, for eg, a lot of the legacy stuff is quite a fair bit less costwise than the newer/newest expansions. Definitely speak with them directly would be my advice if your a version 3 owner. May also have been that I got the upgrade about 10 mins after it was released, no idea, regardless, was a great deal and version 4 does have quite a few perks when compared to nexus 3 imho.

Loudness_Contour wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:25 pm
Wow, you're lucky... My update price is $99 US. I don't understand the difference in update pricing. I originally bought Nexus 2 many years ago, then upgraded to Nexus 3 around the release date and I have about 30 expansions.

When did you purchase Nexus 3?
Ah dam! Sorry to hear man. Yeah I completely agree with you, I'm also confused as you should definitely have gotten a far better deal than that given you have 30 expansions. Hopefully they revise your upgrade costs so you get a better deal!

I bought the upgrade,so far I can't say it's worth it. The libraries I owned,don't have any parameters assigned to the 4 macro knobs. Just the new content. Not even their old factory content, literally just the new ROM 3 content. Seems pretty half baked, for a company that's faced this much criticism, they seem to be adding more gas onto the flames.
I bought it to show support and keep up to date,but it doesn't seem the dev's cared too much about this release.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/Take 5/ASM Hydrasynth
Korg Prologue16\Behringer DM12D/Pro-800/Meris Pedals

the macros for the "old" expansions will never be mapped. Remember: there are something like 25.000 presets available released over 15 years, each of them needing 4 macros.
I exactly know how time consuming it is to do reasonable and good macros for a preset. It usually takes longer than the sound design for the preset itself (!)
So making 100.000 macro assigments for older packs isnt something which would be feasible in any way.

msvs wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:08 pm the macros for the "old" expansions will never be mapped. Remember: there are something like 25.000 presets available released over 15 years, each of them needing 4 macros.
I exactly know how time consuming it is to do reasonable and good macros for a preset. It usually takes longer than the sound design for the preset itself (!)
So making 100.000 macro assigments for older packs isnt something which would be feasible in any way.
Or you could simply write new code to implement the older presets in time. Imagine if Native Instruments said such a thing when they wanted to implement NKS! It's feasible, it's just not something REFX is willing to do for their customers, which should show, why this is another reason that people should probably hold onto their cash for this update.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/Take 5/ASM Hydrasynth
Korg Prologue16\Behringer DM12D/Pro-800/Meris Pedals

its not feasible for Nexus/refx as such. Maybe if you have a team of 50 people and some years of time, which is both not the case.
And it isnt something which could be "automated" with code... not if the macros should make sense. A good sound designer /real human needed. Its absolutely impossible and wont happen for sure. It would take as much time as it took to produce these expansion packs when they were released. Sorry just telling you the truth here. NI support stuff would maybe have written a canned reply: thank you we will consider this in the future :)

but future expansion packs will make use of the macros for sure

msvs wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:08 pm the macros for the "old" expansions will never be mapped. Remember: there are something like 25.000 presets available released over 15 years, each of them needing 4 macros.
Jeah that should be the case. I also need long time when mapping my synths like diva on ableton macros to tune them during a live session. The selection is for every preset really important, but some macros like filter work on most presets.

But even the new nexus presets on Rom extension 3 show the same behaviour as old presets, if you use modwheel - every preset sound like a high cut filter for a DJ.
So there is not much love in nexus - and if you sell these expansions for 60€ than you should deliver these macros, that’s my opinion.
U-he made 8 macros for zebra and hive like standard macros like osc, filter, adsr, delay, reverb and custom macros, where the sound designer took his own decision.
Also camel Audio have done a great job to select macros and morphing. So they get enough money and should deliver afterwards, these expansions aren’t reduced to low price. They take premium charge and should deliver premium quality for that money.

For the price of one expansion you get a best in class emulation synth from TAL.

interesting thread!

(it's only tangential for this thread, but this macro discussion highlights a lot of the reason why the Omnisphere Sonic Extensions are as good as they are. Enough macros, painstakingly programmed and feature-rich, start to feel like a bespoke synth on a per-patch basis).
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Return to “Instruments”