Nest: No separate voices routing MIDI into Ableton Live

Official support for: sugar-bytes.de
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm a little puzzled about the MIDI output situation. Not sure if I have misunderstood, am doing it wrong, or have I hit a bug?

I had assumed that the 8 voices would be available in Ableton Live to route to different channels. However, the MIDI-From dropdown on tracks only lists the Nest plugin, not individual voices.
Screenshot 2021-10-10 at 13.04.02.png
Have I misunderstood?

Thanks.

Matt

macOS 10.14.6
Ableton Live 10.1.41
MacbookPro 15,3 (2.4GH i9, 32GB RAM, Vega20)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hi sandbags, I am pretty sure, that in Ableton Live this is not possible unfortunately. At least not without some extra stuff going. Ableton Live on itself is not able to filter incoming MIDI-streams by MIDI channel. Unfortunately, the way Ableton works, it takes all the MIDI data that an instrument is outputting (on multiple channels) and combines it into one channel.
So there is nothing we can do about it from our side. Sorry for not having better news for you!

Best,
Nadine

Hi Nadine.

Thanks, I think I must have gotten turned around somewhere because I was sure this was a thing but perhaps I was confusing it with audio channel routing. Possibly this can be done with M4L but that's a different conversation.

Thanks for the clarification.

M

I’m no MAX expert, but wouldn’t it be possible to build a Max4Live device that could handle this? Novel Music Seeds collection has devices that can send 4 different sequences to 4 different midi tracks. So it definitely is possible, and if Sugar Bytes developed it, I’d gladly play for it. I love what Nest does, and accept it for what it is…I mean, I got a good deal for Nest as a Sugar Bundle owner…. but, it would be great if it could do more.

It’s a while since I’ve done any Max stuff but I wonder if this is possible. If Nest itself can’t do this I wonder if a M4L device can. If I get a chance I will check it.

Made an account to make a post about this, but you already made it. :tu: :tu: :tu:

The only workaround for this problem i can think of is to use different octaves in Nest as MIDI "channels".
You can use the stock pitch MIDI effect to block notes outside of a specific range, and then another one after that to transpose them back to the octave that you want them in.
You could probably also automate these pitch plugins to transpose only certain parts of the sequence.

I am hoping one day Nest will be updated to allow 4 MIDI outputs similar the the way it can do 4 audio outputs. :phones: :phones: :phones:

Hypersztoss wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:13 am I am hoping one day Nest will be updated to allow 4 MIDI outputs similar the the way it can do 4 audio outputs. :phones: :phones: :phones:
Hi Hypersztoss,

Nest is already capable of sending out its MIDI data to 16 different channels. So unfortunately it's more a question of the DAW and how to handle this. For example in Studio One or Pro Tools you can define the desired MIDI output channel of Nest's 8 voices without any restrictions.

Best,
Nadine

You can use BlueCats Patchwork to have everything into Live, but no separated midi out. But better than nothing, you can use your own plugs and it’s saved within the project.

Return to “Sugar Bytes”