UVI Falcon FX and modulation

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
hollyWorse
KVRist
74 posts since 23 May, 2017

Post Sun May 28, 2017 11:31 pm

Hi there,

I've just started out with Falcon, but there're some things I don't understand.
I have an analogue oscillator and I want to add a low pass filter, then modulate the cutoff of that filter.

When I create a low pass filter on the KEYGROUP level, strangely the analogue oscillator isn't affect by that, at all. I can add a multi-envelope to modulate the cutoff and see both the red dot on the multi-envelope as well as the cutoff moving.

When I instead create a low pass filter on LAYER level, the analogue oscillator is affected. But when I add a multi-envelope to the cutoff, neither the red dot on the multi-envelope nor the the cutoff move when I press a key.

I'm not getting it, can someone please fill in the blanks?

Thanks.

hollyWorse
KVRist

Topic Starter

74 posts since 23 May, 2017

Post Mon May 29, 2017 1:22 am

So I've gone through the FAQ now: viewtopic.php?t=451038

Basically I cannot use envelopes on LAYER level, cause they don't retrigger. The workaround from the FAQ cannot be applied in my case, the envelope doesn't retrigger for the filter.

So it boils down to the question? Why can't I use a simple CUTOFF at KEYGROUP level? The videos from UVI say it's supposed to work.

padillac
KVRian
687 posts since 27 Nov, 2011

Post Tue May 30, 2017 9:41 am

Are you creating the filter in the same key group as the oscillator? Here's a simple patch with one oscillator, one filter, and one envelope modulating the cutoff. They're all at the key group level.
keygroup filter.uvip.zip
patch configuration
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DjLoony
KVRer
2 posts since 22 Jul, 2014

Post Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:57 am

I have the same issue and swearing all I can to solve this problem, which is like the basics of basics of modulation on synths.... Falcon is hell for simple sound design.

Torchlight
KVRist
385 posts since 10 Apr, 2010

Post Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:39 pm

Maybe the things you're adding aren't connected with one another? The simplest way to ensure things are properly connected is to add the modulation by right-clicking on the thing you want to modulate.

Boutbeats
KVRist
34 posts since 13 Sep, 2010 from The Netherlands

Post Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:30 am

padillac wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 9:41 am
Are you creating the filter in the same key group as the oscillator? Here's a simple patch with one oscillator, one filter, and one envelope modulating the cutoff. They're all at the key group level.

keygroup filter.uvip.zip

patch configuration
Thank you ever so much 🙏💗
My music ''Synth Street''
www.synthstreet.com (link to YouTube Channel)
www.soundcloud.com/synthstreet

Return to “Production Techniques”