UVI Falcon FX and modulation

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there,

I've just started out with Falcon, but there're some things I don't understand.
I have an analogue oscillator and I want to add a low pass filter, then modulate the cutoff of that filter.

When I create a low pass filter on the KEYGROUP level, strangely the analogue oscillator isn't affect by that, at all. I can add a multi-envelope to modulate the cutoff and see both the red dot on the multi-envelope as well as the cutoff moving.

When I instead create a low pass filter on LAYER level, the analogue oscillator is affected. But when I add a multi-envelope to the cutoff, neither the red dot on the multi-envelope nor the the cutoff move when I press a key.

I'm not getting it, can someone please fill in the blanks?

Thanks.

So I've gone through the FAQ now: viewtopic.php?t=451038

Basically I cannot use envelopes on LAYER level, cause they don't retrigger. The workaround from the FAQ cannot be applied in my case, the envelope doesn't retrigger for the filter.

So it boils down to the question? Why can't I use a simple CUTOFF at KEYGROUP level? The videos from UVI say it's supposed to work.

Are you creating the filter in the same key group as the oscillator? Here's a simple patch with one oscillator, one filter, and one envelope modulating the cutoff. They're all at the key group level.
keygroup filter.uvip.zip
patch configuration
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I have the same issue and swearing all I can to solve this problem, which is like the basics of basics of modulation on synths.... Falcon is hell for simple sound design.

Maybe the things you're adding aren't connected with one another? The simplest way to ensure things are properly connected is to add the modulation by right-clicking on the thing you want to modulate.

padillac wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 5:41 pm Are you creating the filter in the same key group as the oscillator? Here's a simple patch with one oscillator, one filter, and one envelope modulating the cutoff. They're all at the key group level.

keygroup filter.uvip.zip

patch configuration
Thank you ever so much 🙏💗

I read through the FAQs and Googled in vein, so let me see if I am actually understanding this correctly.

I get that the envelopes work per voice, and because of [bla bla bla explanation] they can only be used at the Keygroup level. Correct so far?

If so, fine, I'll just add said effect I want to modulate with an envelope at the Keygroup level so it will work as expected.

I'll have one Phasor with parameters modulated with an envelope please...
keygroup-effects-greyed-out.jpg
In my head:

Me: "Okay. Why are half the effects greyed out?"

Imaginary UVI Developer: "Ohh you sad, pathetic, amateur of a producer! Keygroups are per voice, you can't add effects that don't work per voice at the Keygroup level, silly!"

Me: "O...kay... how then do I modulate the effects that are greyed out at the Keygroup level with an Envelope, if Envelopes only work at the Keygroup Level?"

Imaginary UVI Developer: "Pfft! Who, in the entire history of audio production would want to modulate an effect parameter with an envelope?! Hey, get a load of this guy!"

Other Imaginary UVI Developers: "Pwah hahahah!"

Me: "... F**KING EVERYBODY WTF IS THIS, A JOKE?!"

I'm assuming this is the reason for almost half of the effects being unavailable at the Keygroup level. Is this internal monologue accurate?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EDIT: I was wrong! See Below lol.

For anyone reading this with the same question, after a few back-and-forth emails with UVI support, the answer is yes, my rambling post above is correct.

Almost half of the built in effects are unavailable to use at the Keygroup level, and thus cannot interact with envelopes in retrigger mode, because envelopes can only be used in retrigger mode at the keygroup level. Womp womp.
Last edited by i need Help on Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Any effect can be added at the keygroup level if housed within the effect rack…

RobGee wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:39 pm Any effect can be added at the keygroup level if housed within the effect rack…
Many Thanks, I was able to get it working just as you said. I'm gonna See If I can tell the UVI Support guy because he seemed to not know this as well (or otherwise didn't care to provide this as a type of work-around, which I get it isn't, it's 'knowing how to use the software').

Return to “Production Techniques”