Cubase 11 Pro or Studio One 5 Pro

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Trancer wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:58 am Many thanks for your answers.

I don't plan on using notation, so the Artist version should meet my needs at first.

It is true that Studio One has a less cluttered screen than Cubase.

What is a shame with Cubase, the screen is overloaded and does not help to understand it.

What Cubase lacks is a dedicated control surface, like a faderport for Studio One.

What also bothers me with Cubase, some people revert to old versions, because tools have been removed which facilitates the work, stability, not great anyway.

When you upgrade to a higher version, it's for the better, not for turning back the clock.

It is true that each has its advantages and disadvantages.

But I no longer think of going to Studio One, moreover the faderport is a tool which at some point will be essential for me and has a perfect integration with Studio One which will be essential for my use.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vryZTmZT6CM
mustn't judge too harshly :) perfectly usable in Cubase too just works better with S1, btw. worth to mention it can emit CC values too from this firmware update https://vi-control.net/community/thread ... -20.90005/
...PreSonus replying to a post there about the CC functionality: they released a firmware update TODAY (2/26/20) that allows up so switch between modes without rebooting! If this works that's huge. Press two buttons and go between full Cubase control (or your DAW of choice, it supports several) and MIDI CC. Nice! No reason why assignable CCs aren't in the future. And the firmware is free, they're doing these updates with no revenue (well, OK, hopeful increased sales)....
so in CC althought there is no motorized feedback :(
https://forums.steinberg.net/t/motorize ... l/590361/8
Last edited by xbitz on Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

One important Cubase feature for me is the ability to dump the patches for my external hardware synths at the start of their Cubase tracks so that my sounds are all recalled months or even years later when I reopen the project. Studio One doesn't record SysEx for some incomprehensible reason. So I would have to rely on a third party SysEx utility to record my patch data which is not nearly as convenient as being able to store the patch data for all my hardware synths in their respective Cubase projects.
Matrix-1000, MicroWave with Access programmer, MicroWave II, MKS-50 with MidiClub programmer, MKS-70, MKS-80 with Kiwi Patch Editor, Nord 2 Rack, Nord 3 Rack, Prophet REV2 module, Pulse 2, Shruthi, Virus TI

This isn't necessarily related to your stated composition style and workflow, but I think it's important to note-

Cubase is much more popular than Studio One in general, let alone with composers. Where this can make a big difference is in support for less than the latest OS/hardware combo. Cubase still issues stability updates for previous versions of the software. They have more than a million users if I'm not mistaken. Issues with 3+ year old hardware/OS setups get noticed and fixed.

Studio One has somewhere between 100k and 200k users. They aim for the most common and current hardware/OS combos and that's it. You might be one of three people that notice and report a particular issue. Your 3-year old computer might be considered "old" and bugs affecting it might be deemed not worth fixing.

These are just my observations and it could obviously change if Studio One becomes more popular or the team that develops it grows in size, but over the years this was the aspect that led me to regretfully use Studio One much less in my business.

oneway wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:31 pm Cubase still issues stability updates for previous versions of the software. They have more than a million users if I'm not mistaken.
[...]
Studio One has somewhere between 100k and 200k users.
Any source for these figures? I'm genuinley interested.

I seem to recall the Cubase figure being mentioned in that anniversary sale promotion. The S1 figure was in a livestream I think, probably when version 5 was launched?

They're both obviously pretty inflated due to pack-in versions of the DAW with interfaces and digital recorders, but the ratio still impacts the visibility of hardware issues.

Ok.

I'd be really curious about some comparison figures between the different DAW's. I have no illusions that Studio One is far behind Cubase, but, they surely snuffed up some part of the market.

chk071 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:39 pm Ok.

I'd be really curious about some comparison figures between the different DAW's. I have no illusions that Studio One is far behind Cubase, but, they surely snuffed up some part of the market.
I guess this is where phone-home telemetry comes into play so they can see which versions are being used and how often. I have several versions of Cubase/Live Lite that maybe were installed once for five minutes, or have never been installed. Then, there's the newer phenomenon of users who install AND use multiple DAWs. But yeah, I'm really curious to know these figures for all the different DAWs as well.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

chk071 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:39 pm Ok.

The data on this is scattered all over the place and rarely comes with qualifiers (paid vs Lite, current version users). A lot of it is based on internet polls and search engine data which doesn't really tell you much.

The only real accurate data I've ever seen regarding DAW usage limited it to targeted samples. There was an article from a couple years ago that focused on which DAWs were used to mix charting records. I believe that broke down to roughly 85% Pro Tools, 10% Logic, and the other 5% was split between Cubase and "Other." But charting records does not = general usage, obviously.

AVID is a publicly traded company so maybe their quarterly reports include some market data if you want to dig through it.

I do not want to go into depth...but

Cubase is what you want-need! Even with Steinberg's new ideas about licensing.

Regarding figures.. at the retail level in Europe Cubase is on top, has always been.

https://www.thomann.de/intl/cat_rank.ht ... 29&gk=SWSQ

oneway wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:31 pm This isn't necessarily related to your stated composition style and workflow, but I think it's important to note-

Cubase still issues stability updates for previous versions of the software.
Really? I hadn't heard that before - never seen updates on old versions (I'm a Cubase user, not dissing Steinberg). When did they do that? I always thought once a new version was out that's it - you have what you have with the older versions...

I think you could likely glean more from Google Trends than going by Thomann's chart, unless you also want to believe Ableton ranks 17th in any European country? ;)

If you want a better idea then there's stuff like this (aimed at informing retailers / manufacturers) https://www.misalestrak.com/
kritikon wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:27 amReally? I hadn't heard that before - never seen updates on old versions (I'm a Cubase user, not dissing Steinberg). When did they do that? I always thought once a new version was out that's it - you have what you have with the older versions...
For a long time.. at least back to when they started doing x.5 versions and switched to a yearly release schedule. You'd usually get "one last update" after the new version was out. Maybe someone remembers this better but, IIRC (at least someone told me! ;) ), at one point they marked the "final" update with a specific version number (x.x.25? or something) to signify it was probably the last time you should expect one. Would need to check back old final version numbers to see if there was any truth to this :D

kritikon wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:27 am
oneway wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:31 pm This isn't necessarily related to your stated composition style and workflow, but I think it's important to note-

Cubase still issues stability updates for previous versions of the software.
Really? I hadn't heard that before - never seen updates on old versions (I'm a Cubase user, not dissing Steinberg). When did they do that? I always thought once a new version was out that's it - you have what you have with the older versions...
The latest update to 10.5 was in March of 2021, many months after 11 was released. They don't update them for too long, but it's helpful. Presonus tends to fit a ton of bug fixes into their first release of the new version but if your hardware doesn't support it there's no way to benefit from those fixes.

"Cubase is what you want"
I was in Guitar Center, summer of '03 and knowing nothing basically I was asking about Pro Tools (all I'd actually heard of). Some other customer standing next to me interjects 'No, Cubase is what you want!' and explained the requirement to have other hardware than my Pentium 4 box to even begin to set up PT.
And he was right. SX1.06. If I can learn it any idiot can.

Which of them have better PDC?

Passing Bye wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:16 pm Which of them have better PDC?
Depends what's important to you. They both detect plugins' latency properly (if the plugin reports it correctly) so I'll discuss the other stuff, like how they handle changes in latency and bugs.

Cubase seems to handle plugin latency and any resulting changes in latency properly, but playback silences briefly when it detects a change. Haven't noticed any bugs here personally.

Studio One takes a (in my opinion) less intrusive and more convenient approach if you like adding/removing inserts during playback, but there are a few bugs that create situations where latency from plugins is simply not compensated. Aux channels. External instruments. Some side chains.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”