Studio One users... You staying or going?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wuworld wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:46 pmSince the announcement of Fender buying Presonus are you staying or going? Wondering what would be different if a company similar to Verdane (reason) bought Presonus vs a actual music company in Fender.
Why would I, or anyone else, give a flying f**k who owns Presonus? As long as things don't change, I can't see that it matters.
trusampler wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:22 pmDepends on if the developers are willing to code our requests or not, if they continue to add features we're not asking for I'm out. That's regardless who owns the company.
Who is "we"? As far as I'm concerned, every DAW adds way too many features I don't care about but guess what? I understand that it's not about me and that other users probably have very different needs and priorities. But if you have things you absolutely can't live without, why do you stay with S1? I got rid of Bitwig because I didn't feel it was focused on the way I work but that decision only took a few months to come to, so I hadn't really invested much into it.

Honestly, how self-centred do you have to be to think that a software company with tens of thousands of users will do what you want it to? The arrogance of it is astounding. It's a good sized company so you can be 100% certain that they have endless meetings and go through all kinds of procedures to ensure that what goes into every update is relevant to their user base and actually improves things for users.
trusampler wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:36 pm:roll: Right, and that's why they implemented the Show page?
Excellent example because without the Show Page, I would never have even looked at Studio One. Just because you don't have a use for it, doesn't make it a waste of time.
SLiC wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:40 pmIn fact they can strip 30% of the features out and I would still be happy, my main concern is the bloat being added by DAW manufacturers to justify 'update' charges.
30%? I reckon you could take out 80% before it would start to affect me.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Staying.

I'm on v4 anyway. Will wait for v6 to update (or not). It pretty much does what I need it to. It's quite stable, too.

Midi timing is shit, though.

k

SLiC wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:41 pm I was actually thinking of using Studio One more but stopping playing Fender Guitars ;-)

Kidding- My US Tele and P Bass are never going :tu:
My Fender JMJ Mustang bass and Vintera Tele work even better with S1, now that it is owned by Fender, I tell ya!

antic604 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:05 pm
chk071 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:26 pm...Not sure when users became the authority on software design. Especially the ones who always ask the devs to build in half of Bitwig in any software.
It's to ensure "balance" in the world, as most Bitwig users also ask their devs to implement half of other DAWs in there :D
It's the same with Reason. Not sure why those people (the requesters) want every feature in every DAW though, because then no DAW would be unique.

I love Studio One because it's so straight forward, and the workflow is amazing. I love Reason since they go their own way, and it's a very playful DAW with modular capability. I love Bitwig because they continuously add new cool features and modules.

I guess I would leave all three of them if they stopped developing them though, at least after a couple of years.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

I won't be giving up on S1 anytime soon. It's by far the best DAW for me. The latest version runs so much faster and the workflow has become really excellent. I can't fault it really...

BONES wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:27 am
wuworld wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:46 pmSince the announcement of Fender buying Presonus are you staying or going? Wondering what would be different if a company similar to Verdane (reason) bought Presonus vs a actual music company in Fender.
Why would I, or anyone else, give a flying f**k who owns Presonus? As long as things don't change, I can't see that it matters.
trusampler wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:22 pmDepends on if the developers are willing to code our requests or not, if they continue to add features we're not asking for I'm out. That's regardless who owns the company.
Who is "we"? As far as I'm concerned, every DAW adds way too many features I don't care about but guess what? I understand that it's not about me and that other users probably have very different needs and priorities. But if you have things you absolutely can't live without, why do you stay with S1? I got rid of Bitwig because I didn't feel it was focused on the way I work but that decision only took a few months to come to, so I hadn't really invested much into it.

Honestly, how self-centred do you have to be to think that a software company with tens of thousands of users will do what you want it to? The arrogance of it is astounding. It's a good sized company so you can be 100% certain that they have endless meetings and go through all kinds of procedures to ensure that what goes into every update is relevant to their user base and actually improves things for users.
trusampler wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:36 pm:roll: Right, and that's why they implemented the Show page?
Excellent example because without the Show Page, I would never have even looked at Studio One. Just because you don't have a use for it, doesn't make it a waste of time.
SLiC wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:40 pmIn fact they can strip 30% of the features out and I would still be happy, my main concern is the bloat being added by DAW manufacturers to justify 'update' charges.
30%? I reckon you could take out 80% before it would start to affect me.
Your gonna care if Fender decides to raise the prices or start making changes that you don't like.

Well, until then, just worry and obsess about it.

jonljacobi wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:17 pm Well, until then, just worry and obsess about it.
Exactly. :lol:

My only hope is that they change the name to something less generic than "Studio One". Maybe "Stratostudio Jazzmaker One", or "Studiomaster American Standard".
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

I like "Studio One". :)

jonljacobi wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:17 pm Well, until then, just worry and obsess about it.
Would like to write down all the worries, and show them one day, in a few years. I doubt that people would stop worrying then though. It's a totally contemporary thing, with everything.

Over the years (like may here I suspect) I have collected a fair few DAWs including S1, which I continued to update during heavy discount cycles. But tbh, it has gone largely unused along with Reason, Cubase, Ableton and Mulab, while Logic has really become my go to DAW through familiarity, stability and generally great value. In all honesty, any of the other DAWs could just as easily become my staple, but in the end, I realised that they were just sitting there occupying HD space and sucking money out of my credit card for no real reason. So along with my recent purge of VSTs, I have also purged the excess DAWs, so yes, I am out for S1, but it has nothing to do with the Fender acquisition (I actually love Fender), it is just superfluous to my needs.

There's no data to make a decision one way or the other right now. Fender could be great owners and make Studio One better. Or be hands-off and just let the status quo continue. Or they could ruin it by making it sub only, or dropping development resources, or focusing on features that tie it to Fender products/services that will drive longtime Studio One users away. No need to assume the worst though.

Right now, we just don't know what the future has in store. This question will be a much more interesting in two or three years when we can actually see some of the impact. I'd think even the next major Studio One releases (5.5 or 6.0) would probably not see much change so this could take a few years to really be felt.

A few years ago when Sonar became too unstable for me, I thought long and hard about where to turn and I picked S1. I've been very happy. I have no plans to change.
If every KVR member wrote one review a year we'd have 1340 reviews each day!

S1 is good for sure. Lots to like like the Macro system. BUT, for Media composers who desire largish templates it falls apart unfortunately, I think because of the all plugins in one window thing.
"and the Word was Sound..."
https://www.youtube.com/user/InLightTone

Hewitt Huntwork wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:08 pm A few years ago when Sonar became too unstable for me, I thought long and hard about where to turn and I picked S1.
It's still unstable. People say that it's much more stable since Bandlab took over, but, it still crashes.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”