Plogue OPS7 (bit-accurate DX7 emulation!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
chipsynth OPS7

abi wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:00 am Is the implementation of a filter considered?
I hope not.

[nx] wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:43 am
gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:58 pm I know ,totally OCD stuff ..
Getting rid of the black empty boxes makes it look so much better
And , U(ltra)OCD stuff: the green display shouldn't touch the button , it's just bad ui allignment , them pixels need room to breathe :hihi:
If you tell me how to get rid of the black boxes myself , I'd be a happy puppy !
Great update nonetheless
Just picked up OPS7 with the BF sale. Love the sound and I the look for the most part, but I agree that it would look so much a better with these minor suggestions. Happy nonetheless.
Yeah this is nice

kmonkey wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:03 am
[nx] wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:43 am
gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:58 pm I know ,totally OCD stuff ..
Getting rid of the black empty boxes makes it look so much better
And , U(ltra)OCD stuff: the green display shouldn't touch the button , it's just bad ui allignment , them pixels need room to breathe :hihi:
If you tell me how to get rid of the black boxes myself , I'd be a happy puppy !
Great update nonetheless
Just picked up OPS7 with the BF sale. Love the sound and I the look for the most part, but I agree that it would look so much a better with these minor suggestions. Happy nonetheless.
Yeah this is nice

There is NON official workaround to make the boxes another colour by adjusting the xml file , posted earlier in the thread .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

digitalboytn wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:46 pm The Arturia GUI has a sexy photo realistic GUI, but that comes at a cost in terms of install size and memory use and I don't need the GUI to tell me I'm playing a DX7...
So all VSTs that have a decent GUI (i.e. not flat crap) "come at a cost in terms of install size and memory use"... Oh, the humanity. I just don't know how my 16GB of RAM keeps up with it all.

I'm still waiting for a video of some DECENT sounds coming out of anything DX7 related, apart from the usual (and I am happy to say excellent) electric piano sounds, bells, and probably a few others I can't remember. I wonder what you are all hearing from FM synths that is so wonderful, that I'm missing, and why posting up a video (that somebody else has already created, I'm not asking anybody here to do that) with loads of fantastic FM sounds on it, is so difficult... and so 'taboo'... Talk about the emperor's new clothes.

LOl , he's been asking for presets for almost 3 months .
The most amazing thing is that he actually had a yamaha cx5m ( so he said ) , so he prefectly knows what fm is capable of .
Some people are just beyond comprehension .
OPs7 has FEEDBACK PER OPERATOR and everything can be modulated by user lfo's
If that doesn't give you a clue of what ops7 is capable off , just learn the damn thing an roll your own presets you lazy bugger !
Or just stop trolling
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

What about a full TX816 mode? 8 modules of 16 voice 6-op each, panned and pitched differently for that real deep 80s production sound? The so called secret weapon of ballad producers?

Check out 2:41

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzwvd8aZUUU

You could set it up in a similar way within Unify or in your DAW.

BenfordLaw wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:07 am I'm still waiting for a video of some DECENT sounds coming out of anything DX7 related, apart from the usual (and I am happy to say excellent) electric piano sounds, bells, and probably a few others I can't remember.
You've at least partially answered your own question: a DX7 is (infamously) excellent at electric piano sounds, bells, and probably a few others you can't remember.

Also basses of a certain type. And brass sounds, certain categories of string sounds with a distinctively odd FM character, glassy "additive" pads, etc. And other sounds that some people like and other people don't, and/or which depend on usage, genre, the mix, etc.... like any synth.

Sometimes FM sounds are obviously FM, sometimes not.

I don't make product demos, and for various reasons I stopped taking notes about what gear I used for what roles on what tracks. But I used OPS7 (without presets) some non-zero number of times on my recent album Human Control and more on the one I'm currently working on. Good luck sorting out the OPS7 parts from the rest though :lol: I use FM techniques with a lot of my gear.

And as for anyone else's demos, I assume you are just as capable of searching the internet as anyone else.

Examigan wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:55 pm You could set it up in a similar way within Unify or in your DAW.
This makes no sense. You can't save the patches, you need to load 8 instances on 8 channels. It's crazy.

I just meant in that video it's the same sound for each module, but they are just stacking them up so you could put the same basic sound on 8 tracks in your DAW and then pan them and/or slightly detune, etc. and save it as a project. Or like in Cakewalk, use a track template to insert that setup into another project whenever you want. Unify can do things like that too.

tristan- wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:26 pm What about a full TX816 mode? 8 modules of 16 voice 6-op each, panned and pitched differently for that real deep 80s production sound? The so called secret weapon of ballad producers?

Check out 2:41

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzwvd8aZUUU
The Yamaha Montage is doing that, too. Its amazing to easily browse between such patches. It's so cumbersome doing this in a daw

I have been waiting years for this plugin. Why?
NI started well with FM7 but lost interest after FM8. They did not develop it further, what a shame.
Others were good, but had no microtuning. Such a sad case is Arturia. DX7V could have been a winner with microtuning, but without is a loser. I asked for microtuning 2 years ago. Nothing. They put microtuning into their pigments, which was a loser and now is a winner.
Dexter added it a while ago, but OPS7 hit the nail. I love this plugin.
Microtuning give you zillions of more sound possibilities, but many developers (and musicians) don't get it.
artie fichelle sounds natural

Examigan wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:33 pm I just meant in that video it's the same sound for each module, but they are just stacking them up so you could put the same basic sound on 8 tracks in your DAW and then pan them and/or slightly detune, etc. and save it as a project. Or like in Cakewalk, use a track template to insert that setup into another project whenever you want. Unify can do things like that too.
It's cumbersome. You can't save these patches really. 8 channels with 8 instances of a plugin for a sound make no sense. Yamaha Montage or MODX for example have this feature. A patch with 8 instances, loads quickly, you're able to browse them, and sound heavenly. You wouldn't understand the reasoning though because you're probably not coming from this school of 80s sound. But its magnificent and an easy implementation. I already sent them an email about this. Hopefully it will happen, hope you're not mad.

The Montage sounds pretty cool. I never played one myself, but I had a DX-21 back in the 80s. :)

Return to “Instruments”