Best Roland JP 8000 / 8080 VST Alternative

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
chk071
KVRAF
30718 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:24 am

JP6K is really good. The sound is sweet. I just wished it would be a bit more richly featured.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

User avatar
fallacy
KVRist
172 posts since 15 Apr, 2016 from Germany

Post Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:35 am

A huge part of the jp8k sound doesn’t just lie in the oscillators. Good or bad by today’s standards - the filter has a unique character and the bass/treble tone controls further change the character quite a bit too... I’m not sure every aspect of the original has been fully replicated but there’s some very close alternatives... even Synth1 proved to be pretty good!

chk071
KVRAF
30718 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:41 am

fallacy wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:35 am
A huge part of the jp8k sound doesn’t just lie in the oscillators. Good or bad by today’s standards - the filter has a unique character
Yeah. Shame that u-he didn't also implement the JP-8k's filter in Diva, alongside the oscillators.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

fdigl
KVRist
36 posts since 12 Oct, 2015

Post Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:53 pm

chk071 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:41 am
fallacy wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:35 am
A huge part of the jp8k sound doesn’t just lie in the oscillators. Good or bad by today’s standards - the filter has a unique character
Yeah. Shame that u-he didn't also implement the JP-8k's filter in Diva, alongside the oscillators.
To be fair, the JP-8k filter would feel out of place in that set of filters. I'd love to see a Diva-style implementation filled with digital modules of the era, like the JP-80x0, AN1x, Supernova II, the Nord Leads, the classic Virus A-C lineup, etc.

biscuitdough
KVRist
142 posts since 8 Jun, 2019

Post Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:53 am

fdigl wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:53 pm
chk071 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:41 am
fallacy wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:35 am
A huge part of the jp8k sound doesn’t just lie in the oscillators. Good or bad by today’s standards - the filter has a unique character
Yeah. Shame that u-he didn't also implement the JP-8k's filter in Diva, alongside the oscillators.
To be fair, the JP-8k filter would feel out of place in that set of filters. I'd love to see a Diva-style implementation filled with digital modules of the era, like the JP-80x0, AN1x, Supernova II, the Nord Leads, the classic Virus A-C lineup, etc.
I still remember people trashing the Virus filters.

Has anyone made wavetables in Serum format using the Supernova or FS1R formants? I know some popular tables like Modern Talking were made using Nord Modular ones.

Ad0
KVRist
167 posts since 22 May, 2003 from Norway

Post Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:47 pm

I got a real JP8080 in the end. However JP6k VST is as good as it gets in software. It's near identical
A is A

hurricaneaudiolab
KVRer
5 posts since 15 Aug, 2018

Post Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:59 pm


User avatar
DJErmac
KVRAF
1769 posts since 25 Apr, 2009 from France

Post Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:40 pm

hurricaneaudiolab wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:59 pm
https://youtu.be/NseIER4hiyE
B sounds like it’s blurried in comparison. :scared:
The detune is different, less focused, and the attack is simply gone.
This post is supposed to be non-agressive. Now please give me a broad smile. :ud:

chk071
KVRAF
30718 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:12 pm

We actually did a guessing contest here: viewtopic.php?p=8218523#p8218523 ;)

Not sure why he's registered here two times, but, hey.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

User avatar
DJErmac
KVRAF
1769 posts since 25 Apr, 2009 from France

Post Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:34 pm

Now I know why I love Hive and never used a single time JP6K in any song. Just not my sound.
This post is supposed to be non-agressive. Now please give me a broad smile. :ud:

hurricaneaudiolab
KVRer
5 posts since 15 Aug, 2018

Post Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:41 pm

chk071 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:12 pm
We actually did a guessing contest here: viewtopic.php?p=8218523#p8218523 ;)

Not sure why he's registered here two times, but, hey.
Hive does an amazing and super close JP-80x0 impression.

And I registered twice by accident and simply decided to pick one and use it from now on. :wink:

User avatar
DJErmac
KVRAF
1769 posts since 25 Apr, 2009 from France

Post Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:53 pm

My personal way is not to give a sh!t about what emulates what properly and simply pick up whatever gives the best results in my songs, as I’ve never in my whole life heard any listener saying "I love this song because there’s a 100% accurate (replace with what you want here) JP8000 emulation".
But I totally understand that some people dream about being able to recreate those sounds accurately. I’ve been though this sometimes. :D

Thanks for this comparison, now I know I’ve strictly no reason to try again with any JP80x0 emulation. That’s definitely not what I’m looking for. My supersaws lie somewhere else.
This post is supposed to be non-agressive. Now please give me a broad smile. :ud:

Atekuro
KVRer
3 posts since 25 Dec, 2021

Post Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:45 am

for me, I use the jp6k.

User avatar
pixel85
KVRian
1498 posts since 11 Apr, 2008

Post Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:07 am

fallacy wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:35 am
A huge part of the jp8k sound doesn’t just lie in the oscillators. Good or bad by today’s standards - the filter has a unique character and the bass/treble tone controls further change the character quite a bit too... I’m not sure every aspect of the original has been fully replicated but there’s some very close alternatives... even Synth1 proved to be pretty good!
About Synth1: It may sounds good in separation, but when you put it next to any modern synths or JP, it sounds flat, lifeless, one-dimensional.
Once I followed tutorial how to make a huge pad like in Rank1 track and it was very impressive. I was like "wow, this is it!". Then I put it next to other synths and I was like "ouch, it sounds embarrassing in comparison" 😬
Probably lots of processing would bring some life to Synth1 but it's not the point.
Beware! The software discussed in this topic has unacceptable aliasing at -386dBTP but it can be fixed by changing the sample rate to 12Bit

User avatar
Introspective
KVRist
460 posts since 12 Jan, 2004 from Boston, MA

Post Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:37 am

DJErmac wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:53 pm
My personal way is not to give a sh!t about what emulates what properly and simply pick up whatever gives the best results in my songs, as I’ve never in my whole life heard any listener saying "I love this song because there’s a 100% accurate (replace with what you want here) JP8000 emulation".
Speak truth to power!

...buuuuuuuut: I really do think there is something to be said in favor of "proper" modeling. Even if, like you, I don't care if they "nail the sound exactly," there is definitely a difference in the "character of the sound" between modeled synths and non-modeled. There's noticeably more life and vibrance to the models.

...Whether you can hear that in a mix or not is another matter, but--perhaps because I like thin mixes--to me, it definitely matters.

Note: I am not saying you're wrong. In fact, I agree with you. This just falls under the "whatever gives the best results" clause. ...I just think it's worth pointing out that, to give one clear example: Zebra HZ, when used with the new filters, sounds better than plain-old Zebra. It just does, regardless of what it's modeling. ...but the fact that it IS modeling definitely seems to make a difference.

(Not to say that plain-old Zebra sounds bad! It doesn't. I still use it, when I want something "clean" or if I'm in a heavy mix and the details don't matter, since it's easier on the CPU. AUGH! Communication is complicated.)

Return to “Instruments”