Free Amp and IR loading

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Free Amp

Hi

does anyone know if, when I load my own IR, the cabinet sim built into Free Amp is disabled, or are they both operating, so that effectively the signal now going through the built-in cabinet sim and then my own IR?

The implication in the documentation is that they are both operating and you should use EQ to effectively neutralize the built-in cab sim. An IR doesn't just have an EQ/Frequency effect, but it has a time and phase element. So, if the built-in cab sim is operating and it also has a phase/timing element, then no amount of EQ will neutralize it. Maybe I have misunderstood. But, if I have understood it right, why would I want to go through two cabinets in series?

Thanks
George

Hi,

The internal cab sim cannot be fully deactivated, however you can get rid of most of it with the tone knob, as explained in the manual:
Tip: when loading a guitar cabinet IR, increase the tone setting on the amp to get more clarity and decrease the effect of the amp's included speaker simulation.

OK, I did read that, but didn't really want to believe it!. I think I was having difficulty understanding why it would make sense to have 2 cabinet sims (the built in one and an IR). I can't think why it is a good thing, it seems fairly bad, so I guess I'll look for other amp simulator solutions where I can use my own IR's.

Well you may want to try and hear if it works for you!

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”