Transient splitter?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DJ Warmonger wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:33 pm Is there a plugin that allows to split signal into transient and non-transient part?
Either output / render each of these separately as an audio, or apply arbitrary effect chain to each part.

I'm Ableton user, so could try M4L devices as well.
I am biased as I work for Eventide but wanted to chime in. While Split EQ doesn't have separate outputs for transient and tonal, you can easily solo either element and then duplicate your track in Ableton and solo the other element. You also have control over each element within each frequency band. We have a 30-day, fully-functional demo if you'd like to try it: https://www.eventideaudio.com/demo/?product=SplitEQ

KVR is also giving away 5 copies: https://www.kvraudio.com/giveaways/kvr- ... e-audio-52

Ploki wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:35 pm
sircuit wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:27 pm
DJ Warmonger wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:52 pm Then, I realized I use a lot of strong linear-phase EQ, which inevitably destroys transients. So I could improve that as well.
When you find yourself using linear phase eq, you're doing it very wrong. And if you're doing this wrong, most likely you do wrong a lot of other things. You don't even need a transient/sustain splitter, probably you just need better ears (or monitoring or both) to help achieve what you want with usual tools because it is achievable. Anything you heard by now was made without Split EQ, without gullfoss, without soothe or any other new "smart/specialized" plugins.

The very specialized tools are rarely needed IRL and mostly to repair damaged material. Think simpler and you're set (beginners use to overcomplicate things immensely).
preach
But the truth nonetheless!

Trancit wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:17 pm
Ploki wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:35 pm
sircuit wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:27 pm
DJ Warmonger wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:52 pm Then, I realized I use a lot of strong linear-phase EQ, which inevitably destroys transients. So I could improve that as well.
When you find yourself using linear phase eq, you're doing it very wrong. And if you're doing this wrong, most likely you do wrong a lot of other things. You don't even need a transient/sustain splitter, probably you just need better ears (or monitoring or both) to help achieve what you want with usual tools because it is achievable. Anything you heard by now was made without Split EQ, without gullfoss, without soothe or any other new "smart/specialized" plugins.

The very specialized tools are rarely needed IRL and mostly to repair damaged material. Think simpler and you're set (beginners use to overcomplicate things immensely).
preach
But the truth nonetheless!
absolutely, i meant that as a confirmation!

Thank you, but I got what I wanted and it does wonders.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

When i fixed my monitoring, i found myself tinkering with processing so much less, and the end results translate better

DJ Warmonger wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:33 pm Is there a plugin that allows to split signal into transient and non-transient part?
Either output / render each of these separately as an audio, or apply arbitrary effect chain to each part.

I'm Ableton user, so could try M4L devices as well.
For drums and other sudio with clear transients, one simplistic approach would be simply using 2 (or more) instances of Gate in parallel Chains, with one instance with "Flip" on.

Non-realtime there is Factorsynth.

Another simple non-realtime approach (depending on the sound) to get just the transients is simply setting one copy of the audio (in another Track) to Warp to Beats, Preserve Transients, Loop Mode Off then set the Transient Envelope slider to a low value, then you can apply your transient smushing FX in the original audio, and just layer the other track.

Return to “Effects”