VCV Rack 2 is out! Free and Pro versions ($99 at launch)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AnX wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:20 pm
vurt wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:28 pm
martinjuenke wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:07 pm It's just the real one.
beg to differ :P

http://www.viablehybrid.com/vurt/testtube/rack5.jpeg
That image loads like I'm on dial up :hihi:

cheapest phone i could find, camera is a potato with a lens :lol:

vurt wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:22 pm
AnX wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:20 pm
vurt wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:28 pm
martinjuenke wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:07 pm It's just the real one.
beg to differ :P

http://www.viablehybrid.com/vurt/testtube/rack5.jpeg
That image loads like I'm on dial up :hihi:

cheapest phone i could find, camera is a potato with a lens :lol:
Not the quality, the way it loads.... line by line

ah. that i cannot help you with.
thats the webstuff, i just ipload.

as far as im concerned its all worked by pixies after that :shrug:

AnX wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:22 pm Do they have to be open source?
No, it is also possible to release closed source plugins for Rack.

No I dont think so

bmanic wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:56 pm Been playing with VCV 2 all day today and I'm still a bit at a crossroad with this thing. I'm sure it's probably placebo on my part but I just think NI Reaktor blocks sound better, especially when doing stuff at audio rate.

VCV is definitely much better sounding than Cheery Audio Modular (which sound I don't like at all) but there's just something bothering me about VCV too.. it's sort of "hard" and seems a bit difficult to use it for more traditional roles (which is what I use modular gear for.. not just strange sequences + blips & blops). I love modular stuff for the fine tuning of "tone" that I can get with them and VCV almost scratches that itch.. but not quite.

What I thoroughly dislike about Reaktor Blocks is how difficult it is to make it polyphonic and how much more cumbersome it is to keep track of complex patches, whereas VCV is very easy for me to navigate and keep track of what is going on.

Having said that, there are commercial libraries out there that make patching more immediate and fun (like Nano Blocks pack).. but still, there's just something about NI Reaktor's implementation that really bothers me.

Wish they made polyphony available at the click of a button as it is in VCV.
I partly agree, being reaktor sounding the best of the bunch
But , vcv has all the audible ( mutable ) instruments stuff , and that alone is worth it
Also , check out the vult modules, they are pretty good and the developer knows his (circuit modellling) stuff
Maybe not cytomic level yet , but they do started from somewhere
Last edited by gentleclockdivider on Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

AnX wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:22 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:13 pm.

My wish is that Cytomic, U-he, Synapse, all look at VCV as a way to take some existing filters, oscs, amps, envelopes, and generate more revenue off of mostly existing DSP code with minimal effort. It's a fairly open platform that makes development trivial enough that amateurs are releasing modules so there may be some appetite for popular developers to hop on board.
Do they have to be open source?
No...that's the nice thing. You don't even need to sell your Rack modules in the rack store if you don't want. If you have your own payment system, you could look to sell and distribute the modules yourself. Though I think doing it in the Rack library offers some extra security (versus maybe having to roll your own DRM).

I actually got an email today with the v2 update to Spikes, which is a third-party Rack module that's not sold through the store. It was originally a straight up clone of Maths, and the developer may not have gone about it in the best way so there was some kind of falling out where the module was not allowed on or pulled from the library, but these days it's got a new GUI, lots of new features (to the point it's not a clone anymore), and the developer still sells and maintains it entirely outside of the VCV Rack library.

gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:11 pm Maybe not cytomic level yet , but they do started from somewhere
I do quite like all things Vult. I was playing with the Tangents MS filter last night on a patch and enjoying what I was hearing. May not be the 100% most authentic analog emulation or whatever (I'm no authority on that subject anyway), but sounded great nonetheless.

i made a few fm leads with the vcv standar osc modules and to me it sound really good..not worst than what i m used to with many of the current plugins out there .
on the filter side i didn t check much yet , but i haven t used one with really nice resonance and/or drive yet

vurt wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:17 pm
bmanic wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:56 pm polyphony
its a fad. :roll:
:hihi:

What can I say.. I'm a classically trained pianist so I like my polyphony. :D
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

vertibration wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:05 pm What is your main issue with VCV? You werent specific. You do know that there are tons of modules still being prepped and ready for V2 right? This is day 1....
Sound wise I've just explored the basics and some of the vult modules etc. I was hoping VCV 2 had leaped forward in overall sound quality a bit, mainly when audio rate modulating things (FM of filter while hard sync is going on multiple oscillators etc). I know this is a very hard thing to get right within software and so far nobody except perhaps U-He has been able to pull it off admirably (haven't tried Softube Modular yet tho!) while Reaktor 6 is damn close but not quite there yet.

The main issue is that things sound "strained" and "hard". Can't quite explain it.. but the difference is quite clear between the software that manages to pull it off nicely and those that don't.

My main references are all from the analogue domain though.. so yeah, I know I am expecting a bit too much. But one can dream, right? :)

Things do improve quite a lot when going for maximum sample rate so there's always that. Though the Vult filters bug out at higher sample rates. Hope they get fixed at some point.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

this thing lead me to some crazy sounds.. for now i experiment mostly with the mutable modules.. personnaly with this soft i don t care much how close it is to the analog as the sound design possiblity make up for it , there is still plently of spot where it sound really good..
i never made sound that come close to what i just made in 20 minutes.. for experimenting with sound design and in a fun way this thing is incredible and it will get even better

Have you tried Applied Acoustics Multiphonics?
Second best (after Softube Modular).

bmanic wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:58 pm
vurt wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:17 pm
bmanic wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:56 pm polyphony
its a fad. :roll:
:hihi:

What can I say.. I'm a classically trained pianist so I like my polyphony. :D
I think it was Anne Dudley (Art of Noise) who said the worst thing to happen to synthesisers was when someone added a keyboard. :hihi:

martinjuenke wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:57 am Have you tried Applied Acoustics Multiphonics?
Second best (after Softube Modular).
Really? I found it to sound plasticky and the choice of modules is very poor.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Instruments”