Tracking Apple Silicon Native Hosts, Plugins, Effects

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic

Finally, Metric Halo plugins are native!

Been waiting for this for ages

Scuffham Amps is now native. So is Sampletank 4.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

IK Multimedia Sampletank and new Syntronik 2 are M1 Native

Atlatnesiti wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:02 pm
cadiz wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:53 pm
telecharge wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:16 pm Strange that Arturia says, "Analog Lab V will be updated at the same time as the V Collection for M1-compatibility," but there's no mention of it in the AL5 release notes. :?

https://www.arturia.com/faq/utilization ... processors
Can confirm it is M1 native

Screenshot 2021-11-25 at 20.51.15.png
It is M1 native.
Hey NI, how much longer will we have to wait for for M1 native Komplete…?!

My guess is around 2046. Unless they completely rewrite Kontakt, Abysth, FM8...etc those ancient but still very popular plugins.
I think those old codes are really dragging NI down, especially Kontakt. There are thousands of sample libraries that use Kontakt and many of them already either the company no longer exists or just won't push updates anymore. If NI just pushes a new Kontakt version but causes incompatibility with those libraries, they will get an extremely huge backlash from the Pro users who use those ancient sample libraries daily.

darkinners wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:47 pm If NI just pushes a new Kontakt version but causes incompatibility with those libraries, they will get an extremely huge backlash from the Pro users who use those ancient sample libraries daily.
yeah.. they could just keep the older version available or something. idk. maybe just do what apple does and say "no longer supported" and a list of broken things... and make the new version optimized for current apple silicon.

NI has abandoned plenty of products throughout the years.. i'm sure their moral compass allows them to make a new version of kontakt that breaks some compatibility with some libraries. for better or worse they'll have to make choices.. same way every developer does.

darkinners wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:47 pm My guess is around 2046. Unless they completely rewrite Kontakt, Abysth, FM8...etc those ancient but still very popular plugins.
I think those old codes are really dragging NI down, especially Kontakt. There are thousands of sample libraries that use Kontakt and many of them already either the company no longer exists or just won't push updates anymore. If NI just pushes a new Kontakt version but causes incompatibility with those libraries, they will get an extremely huge backlash from the Pro users who use those ancient sample libraries daily.
I dont think there is anything so CPU instruction set specific in playing back samples that cant be ported

Native Instruments finally released VST3 versions of Kontakt, which if you listen to some devs whine, is infinitely more difficult than porting to M1. :hihi:
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Noticed that fircomp2 by Jon V Audio is missing from the list. An excellent, super clean and inexpensive compressor.

https://jonvaudio.com/fircomp2/

Ploki wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:42 pm
darkinners wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:47 pm My guess is around 2046. Unless they completely rewrite Kontakt, Abysth, FM8...etc those ancient but still very popular plugins.
I dont think there is anything so CPU instruction set specific in playing back samples that cant be ported
I agree it's not about playing back samples and decode nki package for that matter.

More about the GUI/library features. Apple has updated the UI specification and requirements over the years. There's no point for a company such NI only to port a new Kontakt fully compliant to Apple developer requirement but break compatibility of older libraries or to use double the company resource to maintain 2 versions of Kontakt (one that is compatible with every library and one that is completely rewritten with modern features and UI and only compatible to certain libraries)

Look how long it took NI to give us resizable UI in Kontakt and how absolutely unusable Absynth and FM8 are in native 4k monitor are now.

Anyway, those are just my guess, in no way shape or form that is the actual situation of NI.

Anyone know if sonimus plugs like satson are native? Their website claims compatibility but doesn’t state native

createADAM8 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:28 pm Anyone know if sonimus plugs like satson are native? Their website claims compatibility but doesn’t state native
They are not native.

I have had a couple of Sonimus plugins which I liked, Tuco and Burnley 73. Burnley 73 has had a simple bug from release (a wrong number displayed when changing the line gain), and Sonimus have never updated it. I've reported the bug and noticed others have as well from reading forums, Sonimus even replied to me, thanking me for reporting it, and then proceeded to do nothing about it for years.

Also, almost all Sonimus plugins are still on their first version numbers, so I would not hold my breath on them ever updating anything...

I certainly won't support them again.

After now having loaded a variety of plugins onto an M1, I will say impossible to keep the Rosetta versions segregated from the ARM native, so that was a lost cause. Studio One for ARM can open either in Rosetta mode or not, and if not in Rosetta mode it will only scan and load the ARM native plugins. Same for Kushview Element. Simple segregation right there. Reaper-ARM is capable of stronger fu to load Rosetta plugins and label them (some) even x86_64. Not sure how they do it. I still have to believe a DAW running ARM native with native plugins, and not in Rosetta mode, is going to be a lot more efficient, but not tested this theory.

No surprises except a few plugins that preferred AU over VST or VST over VST3, but that's probably architecture independent. I researched in advance and have skipped anything likely to pose a problem for now. Had to drop into terminal to run xattr to unquarantine a few older unsigned plugins. You can't `killall -9 AudioComponentRegistrar` to clear the audio unit cache anymore. I assume there's some new command with auval that will do the same but haven't found it yet.

I still use that command when a newly installed AU fails to show up

The killall command? I tried on Catalina and it didn't work. Figured they retired that in 10.15. It still works for you?

XLN Addictive Drums 2 and Addictive Keys are now Native Arm compatible! :party:
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”