Cubase 11 Pro or Studio One 5 Pro

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
User avatar
4damind
KVRAF
5502 posts since 17 Aug, 2004 from Berlin, Germany

Post Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:48 am

Well, I really like the whole concept of Ableton Life. The Sessíon view, the rack system, etc. The arrangement is certainly different and also not as comfortable (IMO) as in Cubase... but am actually fine with it. If for some reason I need to switch to another DAW, that would be Ableton Life for me.
Apparently some see it that way, I now already know 3 better known artists who have switched (but from Logic) to Ableton Life (one of them is Jean-Michel Jarre).

User avatar
antic604
KVRAF
11185 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:15 am

4damind wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:48 am
Well, I really like the whole concept of Ableton Life. The Sessíon view, the rack system, etc. The arrangement is certainly different and also not as comfortable (IMO) as in Cubase... but am actually fine with it. If for some reason I need to switch to another DAW, that would be Ableton Life for me.
Apparently some see it that way, I now already know 3 better known artists who have switched (but from Logic) to Ableton Life (one of them is Jean-Michel Jarre).
1) It's Ableton Live, not "Life" :)

2) It sounds like you'd actualy LOVE Bitwig Studio, because it has improved session view and rack system compared to Ableton Live, while being closer to "traditional" DAWs in terms of its arrangement view.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
4damind
KVRAF
5502 posts since 17 Aug, 2004 from Berlin, Germany

Post Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:31 am

antic604 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:15 am
4damind wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:48 am
Well, I really like the whole concept of Ableton Life. The Sessíon view, the rack system, etc. The arrangement is certainly different and also not as comfortable (IMO) as in Cubase... but am actually fine with it. If for some reason I need to switch to another DAW, that would be Ableton Life for me.
Apparently some see it that way, I now already know 3 better known artists who have switched (but from Logic) to Ableton Life (one of them is Jean-Michel Jarre).
1) It's Ableton Live, not "Life" :)

2) It sounds like you'd actualy LOVE Bitwig Studio, because it has improved session view and rack system compared to Ableton Live, while being closer to "traditional" DAWs in terms of its arrangement view.
Yes, Bitwig is basically the best of both worlds (and as far as I know it even runs natively on Linux). But it was too immature and buggy for me when I tested it. Ableton Live (not "Life" :P) I know in the current version and that was all very stable and mature. Currently, I would not want to change anyway, I am very happy with Cubase and for me that is currently still the best DAW. This would be purely hypothetical and it would be for me rather Ableton Live instead of Studio One. Between Cubase and Studio One, it's clearly Cubase for me (that was actually the question in the thread).

User avatar
antic604
KVRAF
11185 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:32 am

4damind wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:31 am
...Between Cubase and Studio One, it's clearly Cubase for me (that was actually the question in the thread).
Yup. Let's not diverge from the topic indeed :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

andypryce
KVRian
520 posts since 2 Nov, 2014

Post Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:24 am

antic604 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:15 am

2) It sounds like you'd actualy LOVE Bitwig Studio, because it has improved session view and rack system compared to Ableton Live, while being closer to "traditional" DAWs in terms of its arrangement view.
But but The Grid!! :lol:
Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 17.22.06.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
antic604
KVRAF
11185 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:27 am

andypryce wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:24 am
But but The Grid!! :lol:
:D
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

xbitz
KVRAF
3527 posts since 3 Oct, 2013 from Budapest

Post Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:02 am

since Unfiltered Audio has added the missing frequency band-splitter device (Yoko) to Voltage2 it is also pretty good https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules/yoko as a time-waster

Image
I'm using it mainly as a plugin wrapper with Gatekeeper as a modulation source(can emmit CC streams), can be used as a track instrument nicely (trying to reduce the track numbers in Cubase as much as I can ...) Cubase can use multiple lanes at the same time, don't have to choose between them (one of them can contain triggering notes for ex.) with soloing , also can be used multiple MIDI channels per events/clips, ... ah so dunno C better or not than S1 but for me seems more practical ... with Voltage2 :D if you have unlimited time just start to check PSP presets in it

Image
https://store.cherryaudio.com/presets/p ... er-presets

ps. and don't have to open close plugins in Cubase workspaces can save their states ... best quality of life feature ever
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Gadget Fiend
Banned
434 posts since 5 Feb, 2012

Post Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:32 pm

Trensharo wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:58 pm
Gadget Fiend wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:44 am
In my experience, Cubase is MUCH more stable on the Mac simply because the Mac platform is inherently more stable.
Your experience is horse shit.
Have you ever used Cubase Pro 11 with hundreds of plugins on both a Mac and a PC? If not, shut the f$ck up.
Matrix-1000, MicroWave with Access programmer, MicroWave II, MKS-50 with MidiClub programmer, MKS-70, MKS-80 with Kiwi Patch Editor, Nord 2 Rack, Nord 3 Rack, Prophet REV2 module, Pulse 2, Shruthi, Virus TI

Gadget Fiend
Banned
434 posts since 5 Feb, 2012

Post Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:49 am

Sindikhate wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:35 am
EG Can you guess their best-selling DAW controller? (Spoiler - It's the Push 2 ;) ).
That's because there are no other DAW-specific controllers. Sure there are lots of other controllers that can be used with a wide range of DAWs. But only PUSH was purpose-built for Live. So your point is meaningless.
Matrix-1000, MicroWave with Access programmer, MicroWave II, MKS-50 with MidiClub programmer, MKS-70, MKS-80 with Kiwi Patch Editor, Nord 2 Rack, Nord 3 Rack, Prophet REV2 module, Pulse 2, Shruthi, Virus TI

User avatar
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth
30316 posts since 4 Sep, 2001 from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Post Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:52 am

antic604 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:15 am

1) It's Ableton Live, not "Life" :)

2) It sounds like you'd actualy
Its 'actually' not 'actualy'. :hihi:
The first thing that came to chk071's mind was the need to speak for another adult.

User avatar
antic604
KVRAF
11185 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:09 am

whyterabbyt wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:52 am
antic604 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:15 am

1) It's Ableton Live, not "Life" :)

2) It sounds like you'd actualy
Its 'actually' not 'actualy'. :hihi:
Touche (with that thing above the 'e')
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Trancer
KVRist

Topic Starter

262 posts since 7 Aug, 2018

Post Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:00 pm

A big thank you for your answers and opinions.

I have updated to the pro version of Studio One.

As my use of the latter is recent, I will wait to see what the 12 version of Cubase Pro has in store.

Depending on whether it is interesting for me, I will take Cubase as well and I will test both in real use and I will keep the most suitable for my use.

EnGee
KVRAF
7633 posts since 7 Oct, 2005

Post Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:20 pm

A wise step :tu:

User avatar
llze
KVRAF
4457 posts since 21 Jan, 2008 from oO

Post Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:24 am

I once switched from Cubase to Bitwig for the creative options and the combination of of Clip/Arranger view and was/am not disappointed, infact it only gets better. However, now I'm looking more and more into Ambisonics, where Bitwig is not an ideal option. So I bought back into Cubase now. It takes a while to get back into, some design aspects have changed, but all in all, after configuring hotkeys, colors and settings it's working great again.

I once tried Studio One in an earlier version, so cannot really compare. However, in my opinion one needs to find out for oneself and dig some time into it, to make preferred settings and building the workflow to be able to judge it the right way. Bith are great tools that do the job I think.
lucid.network | former user Suloo

Trensharo
KVRist
176 posts since 29 Dec, 2019

Post Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:00 am

Gadget Fiend wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:32 pm
Trensharo wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:58 pm
Gadget Fiend wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:44 am
In my experience, Cubase is MUCH more stable on the Mac simply because the Mac platform is inherently more stable.
Your experience is horse shit.
Have you ever used Cubase Pro 11 with hundreds of plugins on both a Mac and a PC? If not, shut the f$ck up.
Yes. Full Scoring Templates.

I used macOS and Windows basically concurrently for years. Cubase 11 isn't really any different than 10.5. I don't use Macs any more, though. Easier to upgrade PCs, which makes it cheaper over the long haul. I like money.

So, I'll happily continue speaking. Thank you.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”