Sononym sample management/browser

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Sononym

It uses SQlite which is as fast as a file-based relational database can work. I used it for an internet bot managing millions of records running on a Linksys NSLU2. In other words, it's extremely efficient.

I have all the databases on RAID-0 striped SSDs as well as the samples themselves. It's fast enough at < 100k samples but it gets noticeably sluggish greater than that. It's unbearable at > 500k, as simply drilling down folders takes a while.

One thing that may improve it is the use of an index, which would increase the database size a bit. An index for the filename column would likely help when drilling down subfolders. Not familiar enough with the other columns or internal usage to make recommendations.

Thanks for the suggestion to split up the library into separate ones. I'll try that!
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Wow I'm blown away, this is exactly what I needed. It's so perfect to be able to search for similar kicks or chord loops or anything - and it actually works.

Funny how I thought it was an absolutely perfect fit for Renoise and it turns out it's made by danoise. And there's a tool that integrates the two for hot swapping samples. :love:

Waiting for multi-library search here too now. :D

wasi wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:04 pm Wow I'm blown away, this is exactly what I needed. It's so perfect to be able to search for similar kicks or chord loops or anything - and it actually works.

Funny how I thought it was an absolutely perfect fit for Renoise and it turns out it's made by danoise. And there's a tool that integrates the two for hot swapping samples. :love:

Waiting for multi-library search here too now. :D
Indeed - it's an extraordinary tool if you are working with smaller libraries. Absolutely fantastic.

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Yeah I can see limitations if it gets that slow above 500k, are there many alternatives even? I stumbled on it via XO/Atlas because I felt I was missing half my samples if I limited it to drums.

Fwiw I'm pretty confident speed will improve, the foundation seems very solid.

Digging out this old thread.... Is there still no possibility to sync Sononym to your DAW? This missing feature - essential imo - kept me away from buying it and still staying with ADSR. Black Friday is coming, so it's time to ask :)

50% off. I will check it out, I'm hoping it will complement XO for all non-percussive type sounds.

Not there yet, the 50% off sale starts on 26th.

The new 1.3 update is meant to be much faster with large libraries.

https://www.sononym.net/blog/new-release-1.3.0/
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

nvm
Last edited by e@rs on Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Looks cool, but I lose sound in reaper when I open this software. Anyone else?

1.3 seems significantly faster here, at least for loading and switching between libraries.

In my memory browsing samples was slower too, seems "snappier" now.

When I opened it did make the sound pause for a second in a media player I was listening music at the time (going to Audio Configuration and pressing "Reload Device List" causes the same pause), but it is a pause. Didn't try with an ASIO app open yet.

I'm surprised this isn't more widely used. Having accurate tagging of sounds based on the audio and not the filename is very useful, and the similarity analysis makes finding a specific vibe in the typically large sample library manageable instead of a complete chore/ chance procedure.

I have 700,000 plus samples, and Sononym is just painfully slow for me. It would be helpful, I think, if you could move the database to a custom location. You can do that in Loopcloud. All my samples are on on a spinning drive, but I think if you could move the DB to SSD, that would help the speed. Yes, I know you can use symlinks, but the implementation provided by Sononym isn't great.

I love Sononym but have endless issues with "missing samples" and the yellow triangle appearing - even when the file clearly still exists within the project folder. This feels like a database verification bug perhaps. So many other feature of Sononym are superb but I have been haunted by this one issue.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”