VCV Rack 2 is out! Free and Pro versions ($99 at launch)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

VCV rack is not for those who dont know how to patch modular from scratch, or those who prefer presets. VCV rack is for those who know exactly what they are doing

vertibration wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:01 pm VCV rack is not for those who dont know how to patch modular from scratch, or those who prefer presets. VCV rack is for those who know exactly what they are doing
...orthose who are willing to learn.

Omri Cohen has a ton of great VCV tutorials that can get a beginner up to speed in no time.

Yes, sorry.... there are those who want to learn and they should always be welcome

VCV try's to fairly acutely mirror the Eurorack experience, other 'modular' type VSTs are more user friendly (but some may argue less authentic). Ultimately it depends if you want the modular type 'sound' or the modular type user experience but with a save button!

Try something like Generate from Eventide for a great example of modern software way of looking at west coast modular
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Ivan_C wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:23 am I have a feature request: why don't we have presets in VCV Rack? Like presets for each module, presets with combinations of modules, and templates + full sessions? I think they would be awesome as ways to learn how to use all this stuff, because every single module you add in your workflow creates an infinite amount of new possibilities and complexity...
its very difficult given the number of possible patches, to know what modules people would have, to be able to build presets. and to be honest, being given a full rack patched, you are less likely to learn from imo, as it can be daunting.
whereas starting with a simple oscillator/filter/output
then adding as you start to understand the process will be much more beneficial :tu:

however, as has been mentioned above, the idea of vcv is to mirror the eurorack experience, and carries a lot of euro module clones.
there are plenty of videos of the actual modules in most cases, to help get you started.
as well as a great and helpful community who will help out where they can :)

is there a detailed comparison between the vst plugins of vcv and cherry audio voltage modular?

Do yourself a favor and get the VST host add-on too. It's a whole new level of modular to be able to tie in and CV-control your entire VST collection.

Super happy it's Linux too.

vurt wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:37 pm its very difficult given the number of possible patches, to know what modules people would have, to be able to build presets. and to be honest, being given a full rack patched, you are less likely to learn from imo, as it can be daunting.
whereas starting with a simple oscillator/filter/output
then adding as you start to understand the process will be much more beneficial :tu:
Personally I prefer VCVs hands-off approach, just save a patch where you want, in whatever folder structure you want. Trying to standardise it leads to (in my mind) messy convoluted systems like Reaktors ensembles, racks, snapshots etc... I'd argue more confusing for the beginner.

Maybe what VCV could benefit from is simply a folder of simple patches to use as templates that use just the default VCV modules. A dozen or so examples that are ideally self-documented and easily built upon.

dune_rave wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:47 am Question: why is VCV good for someone, who:
- already have such great plugins like NI Reaktor, U-he Ace, U-he Bazille
- have two daws
- is not really a modular fan, but have some interest
?
Well, put it this way:

If you bought Rack Pro, and all you did was configure the default patch to send incoming audio through the Valley Plateau (reverb) module, then back out to the DAW - and then never even looked at the 1500+ other modules available - I'd consider it reasonable value for money :hihi:

Replace Plateau above with quite a few of the other modules available (e.g. Audible Instruments) and the same would pretty much apply.

Slime Child Audio Substation is basically a Moog Subharmonicon.

I bought it, and I love it. My favorite set for VCV 2

https://slimechildaudio.com

having lot of fun with Dbiz trosk and double filter also the nano module quart sound great.. it s the most snapy/ organic i have find for now and can sound great in audio range, the few other loopable envelop generator i have tryied crap out badly on the attack stage with no snap

apparently doepfer modules are coming to vcv .. nice ..lindenberg are getting ported to V2 ,alright stuff is there also..

kobal wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:44 pm apparently doepfer modules are coming to vcv .. nice ..lindenberg are getting ported to V2 ,alright stuff is there also..
I am curious who will model the doepfer stuff , probably not softube :lol: (who did a great job btw)
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Doepfer? Thats cool.

valley stuff seems lot of fun .. i like the osc and just spent like one hour the mouth open on a drone made with audible stuff and valley reverb :D

Return to “Instruments”