Renoise Tool Spotlight - Simple Piano Roll

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:41 pm Din't know if you're being sarcastic or just light headed
Renoise has been serious from the early beginning , and it only gets better and better .
The absence of a piano roll hasn't stopped anyone from releasing countless of records with renoise.
The power of a tracker are it's effect commands , a piano roll ( included this lua based one ) does not provide that .
Of course I was being sarcastic, it's just that I'm always flabbergasted whenever people criticize Renoise for the things that make it cool and unique to begin with.

All good :)
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Not sure which I prefer, the power of this tool, or the gimps that pop out the woodwork to tell other people what they don’t need in Renoise hahaha.
Anybody remember the absolutely special piano roll thread at the Renoise feature request forum (back when it had more than five forum users)
A piano roll, audio tracks, arranger, all would be more than welcome in Renoise, and non of them would stop it being a tracker LOL.
Duh

FYI, I will use the piano roll because writing chords in the usual tracker mode is a bit of a pain in the ass, but adding new features just for the sake of it simply detracts from its simplicity and makes it lose its charm.

That being said, coming to a tracker and expecting a piano roll is like coming to a whorehouse and expecting sobriety and piety. LOL.

As an old school tracker user, since I'm using trackers for the last 25 years, I have to say that while I do see renoise as a tracker, it's also a great VST host and sampler, and it would be great if in future it has both piano roll and tracker mode that works more like a zoomable tracking field, like aodix tracker had two decades ago. There is no any reason not to combine the two approaches, I really hope that renoise will go natively in that direction. You just pick the tool you need to finish the work.

grymmjack wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:54 amI made a video that goes over in some depth the Simple Piano Roll tool which gives Renoise the ability to have its own piano roll.
Great video, thanks for sharing!

But who'd want that? It's as if I wanted tracker-style input in Bitwig... hang on a minute, I *do* want *that*! God, I wish they added MIDI output to Redux :(
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

kejkz wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:25 pm I do see renoise as a tracker, it's also a great VST host and sampler
I agree, I actually use external VSTs a lot. I simply hope Renoise doesn't turn into bloatware through the accretion of new inessential features that could derogate from its unique workflow in the long run. An unobtrusive piano roll is fine, it just seems odd to me when people criticize Renoise for the features that make it cool and special. As long as new additions stay true to the original concept, it's fine.

crickey13 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:43 pm...I simply hope Renoise doesn't turn into bloatware through the accretion of new inessential features that could derogate from its unique workflow in the long run...
Really? Considering size of the dev team + the fact that we've been on 3.x for 10+ years that would be the last of my worries ;) :D
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

crickey13 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:43 pm
kejkz wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:25 pm I do see renoise as a tracker, it's also a great VST host and sampler
I agree, I actually use external VSTs a lot. I simply hope Renoise doesn't turn into bloatware through the accretion of new inessential features that could derogate from its unique workflow in the long run.
Yeah, I understand your concern, but I doubt that will be the case. Renoise team added a sampler phrases a few versions ago that you are totally free to never user if you don't need to. It could be the same for piano roll mode: if you don't need it, don't use it. It's just an editor, a view to your data, basically. There is a similar view called event view or something in almost any midi sequencer, yet I only open it once in a year to fix something I can clearly hear, but cannot fix through other means. But we'll see, for me Renoise is good for what it does best, and that's plain ol' tracking that has it's advantages for sure.

xbitz wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:22 pm send it to the Bitwig devs :hihi:
As a Renoise and Bitwig user - this had me in tears 😂😂

crickey13 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:54 am
matrixo9 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:58 pm wish that was out when i owned it i really think they should implement this properly and audio recording properly and people would take it seriously , tbh its good to have a program with a mix way of working with things
Yeah, they should get rid of the tracker-based workflow, slap in the piano roll, allow audio recording and then people would take it seriously, since it would become like every other DAW out there... :?
Don't be silly it should have both options and therefore would be different , for example I like the tracker style grid for beats not piano parts
And every music program should have audio recording I mean a lot of songs have singing in them don't they
And I know it does have kinda sampling audio recording but it's a little tedious that way

matrixo9 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:52 pmAnd every music program should have audio recording I mean a lot of songs have singing in them don't they
And I know it does have kinda sampling audio recording but it's a little tedious that way
I don't know... the way I see it, it's not meant for that. It's a very advanced tracker, not a DAW. There are better tools for recording audio in. If it was ever implemented in a way that still suits the "tracker paradigm"(*) I wouldn't mind at all, but I think it's kinda unnecessary :shrug:

(*) which it kinda is via the "sampling audio recording" way :wink:
void main(dumb)

sQeetz wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:09 pm
matrixo9 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:52 pmAnd every music program should have audio recording I mean a lot of songs have singing in them don't they
I don't know... the way I see it, it's not meant for that. It's a very advanced tracker, not a DAW. There are better tools for recording audio in. If it was ever implemented in a way that still suits the "tracker paradigm"(*) I wouldn't mind at all, but I think it's kinda unnecessary :shrug:

(*) which it kinda is via the "sampling audio recording" way :wink:
u know i think its like when a band gets popular people worry it goes away from the sound
but that band just gets really fooking good hence why everyone likes them
this will only make the daw better and more popular
i don't see how it would ruin it and be unessary
ableton will be around for ages because it apeals to a lot of people
with just a piano roll and audio recording lots of people would be interested in this because its different
but they could dive straight in and make music and use the differences as extra tools
why not a tracker /daw the other one radium just doesn't look as good and is confusing

matrixo9 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:00 pm i don't see how it would ruin it and be unessary
If done right, I don't think it would ruin it at all. It could be quite nice. But I still think it's unnecessary :) Like in: not needed. A feature not essential for a tracker
void main(dumb)

sQeetz wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:07 pm
matrixo9 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:00 pm i don't see how it would ruin it and be unessary
If done right, I don't think it would ruin it at all. It could be quite nice. But I still think it's unnecessary :) Like in: not needed. A feature not essential for a tracker
but its a modern tracker vocals are needed for a lot of songs i think it would be good add these two things and i would get it again because the current ways take too long for me
i use reason 10 atm but renoise is interesting

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”