One Synth Challenge #153: K1v by Nils Schneider (Vovaman wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Time Is Up

The voting Site will be up later today.

Damn... a few minutes too late. :(

Finally I've managed to release a track again. Probably not perfect, but I hope you enjoy it.

https://soundcloud.com/user-167923738/k ... c2bcbad4c6

K1v: 18 instances
DAW: Logic Pro X
FX: all from Logic (EQ, Compressor, Chromaverb, Spreader, Amp Designer, Pedalboard, Delay)

Just a quickie, ooh er missus
Discord, is this available to all?
I saw in previous OsC, Zeek fx, not stfu, another, but cannot locate?
Thanks 4 your time :D
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

nenneb wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:44 pm You are right, treeheated: VST3-support in MuLab/Mux has been requested quite often but is not realised yet. For now the programmer focusses on the new version:
1) You will be able to run the DAW within another DAW just like a synth
2) Live matrix
Once that runs solidly, we (maybe) get VST3.

Undo on VST-parameter-changes? I never missed that ... !
And if I imagine: Change a parameter, a note, a parameter ... then undo .. guess that might be confusing.
Yeah, maybe it is a weird thing to get hung up on, but I am definitely hung up on it. For me, the only outcome that is not confusing is if undoing returns the project to a previous state. After your example sequence, changing a parameter, a note, a parameter, in MuLab if I now undo, the project is in a new state with the note reverted but the parameter not. I'm sure there are situations that no host can handle, though.
Eauson wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:40 pm This allows you to run vst3 in VST2 hosts
https://www.xlutop.com/buzz/zip/vst3shell.zip
Thanks! Seems cool. It works in MuLab (I could load Surge in it) but I did get error messages either on loading the VST or on quit.

treeheated wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:50 pm
nenneb wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:44 pm You are right, treeheated: VST3-support in MuLab/Mux has been requested quite often but is not realised yet. For now the programmer focusses on the new version:
1) You will be able to run the DAW within another DAW just like a synth
2) Live matrix
Once that runs solidly, we (maybe) get VST3.

Undo on VST-parameter-changes? I never missed that ... !
And if I imagine: Change a parameter, a note, a parameter ... then undo .. guess that might be confusing.
Yeah, maybe it is a weird thing to get hung up on, but I am definitely hung up on it. For me, the only outcome that is not confusing is if undoing returns the project to a previous state. After your example sequence, changing a parameter, a note, a parameter, in MuLab if I now undo, the project is in a new state with the note reverted but the parameter not. I'm sure there are situations that no host can handle, though.
Eauson wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:40 pm This allows you to run vst3 in VST2 hosts
https://www.xlutop.com/buzz/zip/vst3shell.zip
Thanks! Seems cool. It works in MuLab (I could load Surge in it) but I did get error messages either on loading the VST or on quit.
Ah, ok
Check here, maybe updated info?
viewtopic.php?t=560297&start=15
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Here's the discord invite I've set it to not expire
https://discord.gg/bNCuu98eCd

Eauson wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:54 am I saw in previous OsC, Zeek fx, not stfu, another, but cannot locate?
ZEEK CHOP?
https://zeeks.app/chop/1.0.5-b11/CHOP-v ... in-x64.exe

You can find it on the bottom of the homepage, where it says about the soft clipper plugin

quote=MilksterX post_id=8282232 time=1638377322 user_id=477532]
Here's the discord invite I've set it to not expire
https://discord.gg/bNCuu98eCd
[/quote]
Thanks
J.Ruegg wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:45 pm
Eauson wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:54 am I saw in previous OsC, Zeek fx, not stfu, another, but cannot locate?
ZEEK CHOP?
https://zeeks.app/chop/1.0.5-b11/CHOP-v ... in-x64.exe

You can find it on the bottom of the homepage, where it says about the soft clipper plugin
That’s the one, thanks
I should look more closely :)

Voted

I'm having a really hard time voting because of how much I dislike the sound of this synth... So far everyone is getting threes...
I'm hoping that as I listen I'll start to hear the stand outs.

gorgorgathgorgorgor wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:50 pm I'm having a really hard time voting because of how much I dislike the sound of this synth... So far everyone is getting threes...
Actually, I'm quite surprised by some of the entries. Some folks managed to squeeze sounds out of the K1v (albeit with a truckload of effects) that I did not think it was capable of. But yeah, on the whole, out of the box, it's a very uninspiring sound. Here's what Cooper's Dream sounded like before the effects were added....

"Cooper's Crap" :lol:

gorgorgathgorgorgor wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:50 pm I'm having a really hard time voting because of how much I dislike the sound of this synth... So far everyone is getting threes...
Yeah, I couldn't finish a song and starting to listen to the entries I think I shouldnt even bother voting. I just really, really dislike it and I'm having trouble hearing past the sound quality to find the good songwriting.

gorgorgathgorgorgor wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:50 pm I'm having a really hard time voting because of how much I dislike the sound of this synth..
Don't forget to listen to mine at Volume 11 ... a must for music of that genre and era!!1 :-) :lol:
db

Ok, of course, it is alway a matter of taste, and maybe I'm a bit prepossessed, because my first ever synth was a K4. :)

But I think the E-Drums sound awesome (listen to Davi-DJ's track) and also it has great digital bells (as shown by Sequential-X). I also like the typical string sounds of the Kawai synths. And with the right effect chain you could even get good guitar sounds out of it. Isn't this the "real" challenge, to make something cool sounding out of a maybe not so versatile synth? Effects are always used more or less, but this time we had even drum and guitar sounds out of the box. :wink:

I've listened to all the entries and indeed many tracks sound somehow similar or "typical", because the sound design capabilities are kind of limited. The overall level of this challenge might not be as high as in previous months, but I enjoyed many of the songs.

Voted. Really enjoyed this months entries and found myself being a bit more generous with the points than usual. Well done all.

I also made notes on all the tracks, but haven't got round to putting them into soundcloud as I find the unskippable, over-long super-loud adverts to be such an offputting experience that I avoid listening on the main site which it seems you have to be on to add a comment.

Return to “Instruments”