Cubase 12 dropping VST 2 support (For Apple Silicon)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:28 pm
AnX wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:13 pm I thought cubarse was vst3 only for a few years....
No. Sidechaining is VST3 only in Cubase, but, Cubase runs VST2 also.

Not sure where the rumours come from that say VST2 is dropped on Apple M1 computers. I'd wait for something official. As this thread proves well, rumours could be incorrectly interpretated.

And now, everyone who just reads the headline thinks that Steinberg will drop VST2 in their DAW's. :P
There was a comment on SB's forum by an SB's employee to that effect, but I think it was misinterpreted. That he was only talking about the Apple Silicon Native version.
rsp
sound sculptist

It's hilarious that there's still VST2... after how many years? Maintaining backwards compatibility for so many years, how many Person-Years in effort have been spent in DAWs to support VST2 and VST3? Keeping VST2 for so long and binding capacity to make the support happen in parallel to VST3 is slowing innovation. Remember: 2013 was the announcement that VST2 is now in end of live and will get no support. 2018 the announcement that VST2 will be finally sunset... If a vendor is not able to make it by now ... better dump that vendor. It's a consequent an good step!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Studio_Technology

Audio software tech is moving very slowly.

There's no reason to drop something if the follow up sux or lacks features...

You have every reason to drop something, if it is your technology.

MirkoVanHauten wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:08 pm There's no reason to drop something if the follow up sux or lacks features...
Huh, what!? Let the facts speak for itself not myths https://arefyevstudio.com/en/2019/01/26 ... is-better/

] Peter:H [ wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:14 pm
MirkoVanHauten wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:08 pm There's no reason to drop something if the follow up sux or lacks features...
Huh, what!? Let the facts speak for itself not myths https://arefyevstudio.com/en/2019/01/26 ... is-better/
Thanks I rather listen to the established devs that for example spoke out here in the dev forum.

the horror.... :o I'm devastated
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

MirkoVanHauten wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:21 pm
] Peter:H [ wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:14 pm
Thanks I rather listen to the established devs that for example spoke out here in the dev forum.
You mean the guys who wanted to establish their own plugin format a few times now, and nothing ever came out of it? Yeah, surely a very competent bunch in that regard. ;)

Don't forget that such topics are full of politics. I think the best and most healthy way to see it is "As long as noone comes up with something better, which is being widely adapted, we will stick to what we have". Nothing is perfect.
Last edited by chk071 on Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sQeetz wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:30 pm the horror.... :o I'm devastated
:hihi:

Bitwig and U-he on Linux are pointing the way forward. No VST support needed.

dellboy wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:46 pm Bitwig and U-he on Linux are pointing the way forward. No VST support needed.
From what I read, they're available in VST2 and VST3 format under Linux. Or do I misunderstand you?

chk071 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:52 pm
dellboy wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:46 pm Bitwig and U-he on Linux are pointing the way forward. No VST support needed.
From what I read, they're available in VST2 and VST3 format under Linux. Or do I misunderstand you?
I am in Linux now, using both the Bitwig and Diva demos, but I am not a Linux expert, just a novice,so I can only tell the little I know. In Bitwig, if you choose the VST3 location and drop a windows VST3 in, nothing happens. I just dropped Kontakt VST3 in and its not there. It has to be in the native Linux VST format to work. I do not think that the "so" native Linux VST format is proprietary, but I am just guessing.The Diva instrument is a".so" file, which I think is a native Linux VST format.

It still seems strange to me that major new releases such as VCV Rack come out as VST 2 only, you would think anything 'new' would at least come out as VST3.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:42 pm It still seems strange to me that major new releases such as VCV Rack come out as VST 2 only, you would think anything 'new' would at least come out as VST3.
Shows you how much they care about progress. Ditch to let them know?
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”