Arturia Pigments 3 is out!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pigments 5

Is that true around 2019 Xmas Pigment 2 released then around 2020 Xmas Pigment 3 released?

cowby wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:40 am Is that true around 2019 Xmas Pigment 2 released then around 2020 Xmas Pigment 3 released?
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/pigmen ... turia/news
According to KVR news, Pigment 3 was release around Easter 2020 not Xmas :D

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:52 pm
Arashi wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:31 pm Who cares about the forum. They should just close it down. No one uses it anyway.
I’m not using his lungs so I don’t see the point of breathing
That analogy doesn’t make any sense, but anyway, my point was that the forum (which, seriously, is a ghost town…go look at it sometime) being neglected is not an indication of whether Arturia’s software or hardware works properly. It’s irrelevant.
Stormchild

Arashi wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:25 pm
Arashi wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:31 pm Who cares about the forum. They should just close it down. No one uses it anyway.
That analogy doesn’t make any sense, but anyway, my point was that the forum (which, seriously, is a ghost town…go look at it sometime) being neglected is not an indication of whether Arturia’s software or hardware works properly. It’s irrelevant.
Well.. I hate to say it, but I purchased Pigments 3 two days ago in the sale. I've read many good things about it, and I was really excited to see what it was like.

My first impression was that the patches were great and extremely useable/playable, the interface is great, and there are many smart decisions that were made to allow flexibility in soundcrafting, control, and browsing. I started making music right away and I was quite thrilled.

Unfortunately, things quickly took a turn for the worse. Spectrum sound pack included for free? Sounded great. I downloaded two of the 5 included packs through the in-plugin menus, and when I then clicked to download the 3rd (Ochre), the download button changed color, but the bank never apparently installed. The button became unresponsive, and waiting quite a while for it made no difference. "Ok, it's just a temporary glitch; no big deal", I thought.

After attempting to restart my DAW and try again a couple of times with the same result, I ended up just having to install it manually. At that point, I was beginning to think that the plugin felt 'glitchy', but was still willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Within a day of using it, Pigments started to load extremely slowly. I was quite surprised, as my computer is pretty well optimized, even down to the BIOS and power management settings and all.. And I run quite a lot of different plugins from different companies, some of which are very heavy and have lots of data to load (like Keyscape), and all of them load significantly more quickly than Pigments was now loading. I've never so much as thought about the boot-up time for my DAW sessions, and now it felt like I was waiting ages.

The biggest surprise (and ultimately, the dealbreaker) was on the second day, when I went to open up a session where I'd composed some music using Pigments the night before. I hit play — no sound from the Pigments instances at all. I opened up the plugin UI to investigate.. And it turned out that every patch had been reset to the default patch, with the master volume set to -70. All of the patches I'd selected, and any tweaks I'd made, were completely gone.. And even once the volume was set back to a nominal level, the patch didn't play correctly; there was strange settings in things like the envelopes, etc.

This renders Pigments 3 pretty much unusable for me.. And lo and behold, I browsed to the Arturia forums, and some of the same problems were mentioned *exactly* as I'd experienced them, almost word for word, months ago, with hardly any help from Arturia themselves.

At this point I'm pretty unhappy.. I feel like I was sold a partly-functional plugin, that is poorly optimized and glitchy with a number of unresolved bugs. And I bought it thinking that Arturia was a reliable, longstanding name in music software that I could trust. Instead I'm experiencing issues that I've never experienced with even freeware-level plugins. I'm going to try my hand with support, but given the experiences people have shared in the threads, I'm not that optimistic.

So TLDR; no, the forums actually seem to represent the state of the plugin pretty well. Which is a disappointment given the brand name that's attached to Pigments.

elestud wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:04 am
Well.. I hate to say it, but I purchased Pigments 3 two days ago in the sale. I've read many good things about it, and I was really excited to see what it was like.

My first impression was that the patches were great and extremely useable/playable, the interface is great, and there are many smart decisions that were made to allow flexibility in soundcrafting, control, and browsing. I started making music right away and I was quite thrilled.

Unfortunately, things quickly took a turn for the worse. Spectrum sound pack included for free? Sounded great. I downloaded two of the 5 included packs through the in-plugin menus, and when I then clicked to download the 3rd (Ochre), the download button changed color, but the bank never apparently installed. The button became unresponsive, and waiting quite a while for it made no difference. "Ok, it's just a temporary glitch; no big deal", I thought.

After attempting to restart my DAW and try again a couple of times with the same result, I ended up just having to install it manually. At that point, I was beginning to think that the plugin felt 'glitchy', but was still willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Within a day of using it, Pigments started to load extremely slowly. I was quite surprised, as my computer is pretty well optimized, even down to the BIOS and power management settings and all.. And I run quite a lot of different plugins from different companies, some of which are very heavy and have lots of data to load (like Keyscape), and all of them load significantly more quickly than Pigments was now loading. I've never so much as thought about the boot-up time for my DAW sessions, and now it felt like I was waiting ages.

The biggest surprise (and ultimately, the dealbreaker) was on the second day, when I went to open up a session where I'd composed some music using Pigments the night before. I hit play — no sound from the Pigments instances at all. I opened up the plugin UI to investigate.. And it turned out that every patch had been reset to the default patch, with the master volume set to -70. All of the patches I'd selected, and any tweaks I'd made, were completely gone.. And even once the volume was set back to a nominal level, the patch didn't play correctly; there was strange settings in things like the envelopes, etc.

This renders Pigments 3 pretty much unusable for me.. And lo and behold, I browsed to the Arturia forums, and some of the same problems were mentioned *exactly* as I'd experienced them, almost word for word, months ago, with hardly any help from Arturia themselves.

At this point I'm pretty unhappy.. I feel like I was sold a partly-functional plugin, that is poorly optimized and glitchy with a number of unresolved bugs. And I bought it thinking that Arturia was a reliable, longstanding name in music software that I could trust. Instead I'm experiencing issues that I've never experienced with even freeware-level plugins. I'm going to try my hand with support, but given the experiences people have shared in the threads, I'm not that optimistic.

So TLDR; no, the forums actually seem to represent the state of the plugin pretty well. Which is a disappointment given the brand name that's attached to Pigments.
I never had any problems with Pigments, what doesn‘t help you either. Did you use the Arturia SW-Center for installing? Maybe you can uninstall all Pigments stuff, reinstall it and give it a second try. If it not helps then you should contact the Arturia support.

elestud wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:04 am So TLDR; no, the forums actually seem to represent the state of the plugin pretty well. Which is a disappointment given the brand name that's attached to Pigments.
Don't know what to tell you. Works fine for me and pretty much everyone else.
Stormchild

This is why the best is to stop collecting many plugins. Every software has bugs :)

Tracking down this stuff is hard. I posted in another thread I had all kinds of issues recently with Arturia plugs, all kinds of erratic behaviour. Turns out my connected MS20iC controller has some dodgy pots and was firing out random CCs which were mapped to Arturia's defaults. Not saying this is the same issue, but there's lots to go wrong on specific systems, graphics card compatibility, multiple monitors other installed plugins etc that can produce very strange faults.

As another example, in Pro Tools I had no end of problems with loading Kontakt instruments crashing the DAW. Never happened in other DAWs or standalone, or even for anyone else using PT. That one turned out to be a specific issue when the RX Connect plugin was also open. It literally took me years to track it down.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

In the 6 or 7 seven times I've contacted Arturia Support they have responded within the hour so quite literally in the time it took you to wrote that post you could have emailed Arturia Support, got a response from and fixed your fault.

I only wrote to their support a couple of times, but each time I had a response by the next day.

Thanks everyone -- I'll try support.

I was discouraged not because I felt like support wouldn't respond; but because the people in the Arturia forum who had these exact same issues shared that support responded with prepackaged answers that did not resolve the problems whatsoever, and they ended up going around and around to no avail. But I'll give it a shot and report back!

Pigments 3 is working fine here. Never had any issues with it. Hope that support will get you resolved!

In the future, I would suggest trying a demo if available before buying any software, because once you pay, you are usually stuck. Arturia does offer demos for their products.

Bottom line is you will never really know how compatible any software is with your system until you try it out.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

imrae wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:33 pm
E_Anderson wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:11 pm I’m ordering a 5950X (and an entire new computer’s worth of parts) today so I’ll post if I’m able to reach the legendary status of underrun/crackle-free max-duration max-rate polyphonic granular.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/63Br3Z
Will be interested to hear how this goes, have been wondering about upgrading mine to this platform as well. (Wasn’t planning on 128GB of RAM though, blimey! But it makes sense in terms of memory/core if you’re doing something heavy on there.)
Naked project, 5950X was able to run 7 voices at 264hz grain rate with 1s max duration and was hovering around 75-85% cpu consumption (one track, so one core being used). I was also on 1024sample buffer though, which is what I usually work in. Patch was just the Dual Sample Engine preset with everything left alone (incl. 2 reverbs and a delay), just enabled granular & its settings (Turkey env shape if that matters with a little bit of position modulation)

That was better than expected, honestly… but if I felt compelled to reduce buffer size & was in a large project, I’d still be weary of not freezing it.

FYI the Arturia forum here on KVR is NOT direct support, it's an independent user forum.
Contact Arturia directly if you want to attempt resolving your issues.

Good luck.

as mentioned before, Arturia support is one of the best, they helped me even with a problem that i only had, contacted even Steinberg for it. well that is support. in way faster than contacting steinberg, or in a way.... well, support is great.

but this strange behavior, you don't mention your OS, but if you are on Windows, and have for instance Avast as virus scanner, well, it makes the installer crazy (it makes a lot installers crazy, and afterwards also plugins, etc). perhaps that can be the problem.

have Pigments from the start, when it came out, never experienced any problems, i think it has been used on 4 systems, replacements, so 2 per... well...

that does not mean that there can be a problem on some OS (versions), problems with hardware, or conflicts....

Return to “Instruments”