iZotope Tonal Balance Control 2 - list of atypical commercial songs

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I’m fascinated by how consistently commercial mixes actually fall within the Target Meter ranges of an appropriate preset in iZotope’s Tonal Balance Control 2. The exceptions seem rare (at least in my own experience)

I’m trying to compile a list of songs that are consistently out of the expected ranges, yet still effective.

A good example for me is The Breeders - Night of Joy

This mix is technically very dull (excessive low and low-mid information) yet I think it is artistically very effective.

If anyone wants to share the names of songs that seem atypical when analyzed in TBC2 I’d appreciate it!

Addictive Glance - Leaving Reality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJXDf09 ... Recordings

Overloaded low end, but it was barely noticeable on earphones.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:16 pm Addictive Glance - Leaving Reality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJXDf09 ... Recordings

Overloaded low end, but it was barely noticeable on earphones.
Good one — thanks!

Actually, I don't know, never really thought about looking out for songs like these. Now that you've bought it to my attention I may just keep an eye out.

As long as you know what to do with the information provided by TBC you don't need too many other references. If you don't know how to improve your mix with what TBC provides, no amount of references in the world would help.

In the end is just a tool that provides a rough estimate - quite big mix adjustments of the mix will result in tiny, almost undetectable change in TBC display. The best mixes conform in TBC because those people use their ears. Visually, TBC is like using a 1cm stick to measure milimeters. Work on your ears rather than your eyes

sircuit, you just consistently make sense

Ploki wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:34 pm sircuit, you just consistently make sense
And when I thought I'm on a roll, I misuse the board again :) :) :)
Last edited by sircuit on Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sure, how about Sorrow's Intro from Carpe Noctem:
https://sorrowgarage.bandcamp.com/track/intro

Pretty Sure Tonal Balance Control says it's too bassy, not bright enough, even on 'Bass Heavy'. But you listen and it's perfect.

For me Tonal Balance Control is like a must have tool, especially if you don't have the best environment. Sure, you should never mix with your eyes and the way I use it is to check what I've already done and see if my balance is correct. Most of the time I seem to add a bit much low end, according to tonal balance and listening on other devices. So for me it's really helpful. I've tried finding alternatives to it, but nothing compares so I ended up buying Ozone 9 Advance. It's also nice that you can use other tracks as reference to get similar balance.

Tonal Balance Control is only useful as reference, like checking your mix on a pair of shitty earphones. But you shouldn't base mix decisions on it. It doesn't work for all mixes. For example if you have an R&B song that's just voice and a piano, when you put that into TBC's pop or R&B category you're not going to get anything useful.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

I use Tonal balance Control for each and every mix, and use the same custom reference curve for every style.
Precisely, my favourites:
Kinetica - Acid Angel for uplifting trance
https://youtu.be/KRk9ad-hyEY?t=10
00.db - Oxygene for psytrance
https://youtu.be/h9L_PfUBxeQ

So I know what to expect every time.

But there's more. Actually I equalize each and every instrument by a lot just to make sure it precisely matches the very middle (light) curve displayed. Often it means 6 dB boost or cut, but boy, it works wonders.
Believe it or not, synths can take that easily, acoustic instruments or bells - not really, but I'm still able to push them hard in a full mix ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Only on top of that I make low or high cuts, especially on bass and percussion of course.

Another advantage - it's a simple principle, I can do this blindly all day. Every tracks has same spectral balance and matches everything else in the mix.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:34 pm Actually I equalize each and every instrument by a lot just to make sure it precisely matches the very middle (light) curve displayed. Often it means 6 dB boost or cut, but boy, it works wonders.
Believe it or not, synths can take that easily, acoustic instruments or bells - not really, but I'm still able to push them hard in a full mix ¯\_(ツ)_/
Is this really advisable? (Not meant as criticism, genuine question.) Doesn't it mean the song is very weirdly balanced to start with?

In an iZotope vid, they showed how a peak somewhere was due to a single narrow-pitched percussive instrument. Maybe it's a better approach finding these than doing broad and drastic EQ cuts/boosts?
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Why-d'yo need ta use balance control?

Kinh wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:37 am Why-d'yo need ta use balance control?
For one purpose only: to make sure that the music we make uses the same EQ curve as other genre-specific music. Highly recommended!
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Return to “Effects”