Intel 12900k has just been released. Best in class performance, giving AMD and Apple a run for their money.

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jamcat wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:44 pm Looks like I picked a bad time to come back to this thread.
Was there ever a good time? :)

Pictus wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:17 pm
rezoneight wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:59 pm Not sure how things are in Germany but here in the US Generation Z and later will likely be the ones that save us because they’re the ones who give a damn about the environment, human equity, etc.
Sadly, I doubt that... :-o
https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/i ... cna1008576
I did say "here in the US". From your article:

"As yet, the United States hasn’t hit this IQ wall — despite what you may be tempted to surmise from the current state of the political debate."

US has other problems, stalling IQ scores ain't one of them. Looks like Europe isn't doing too well tho. From the way FMR acts here I guess I shouldn't be surprised. But in this thread we're discussing the merits of chip design of three US companies...

rezoneight wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:22 pm "As yet, the United States hasn’t hit this IQ wall."
You're right. You were already there :hihi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0TK_vk-XDM
(THIS IS JUST A JOKE - OF COURSE THERE ARE CLEVER AND IGNORANT PEOPLE ANYWHERE)
rezoneight wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:22 pm Looks like Europe isn't doing too well though. From the way FMR acts here I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
Even if I'm not doing as well as in the past, I am still way ahead of you. Just the fact I am not subjugated to the Apple religion is a statement about that.
Fernando (FMR)

12900k for the idontgiveafuckaboutmoneys
12600k for the more low income reasonable folks
but intel got his 12700k running and it looks like the best deal of all 12ish iterations. i consider it equal to amd, depending on the prices for the rest of the pc, amds counterattacks and the general powerconsumption, which looks good for the 12700k.
so
12700k for the masses with a remaining brain and a remaining consciousness for anything else beyond the own stomach or cock or pussy, which limits it to a not so big leftover at all :D

UltraJv wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:38 am ...
Doh! Because the BIOS needs to be updated to work with latest CPU's isn't AMD specific!
Nothing new about this either.

Intel has released new CPU's back in the day where you had to update the motherboard before switching CPU's. There's nothing wrong with that, just order the correct parts and latest revision with latest BIOS installed (or ask any computer shop to upgrade the BIOS for you if can't do it yourself). It's better use of investnment to upgrade BIOS, than to buy a whole new motherboard.
It's free to choose a new motherboard with latest BIOS if you want to, and got the money for it....

I have been using Intel before AMD released the 3950x. I have been running x3950 for two years and I have zero "compability issues". UAD + RME Audio running without any issues. Best DAW I ever built.

A lot of heat makes it harder to make the DAW computer silent. AMD had the same heat problems with Athlon 20 years ago or so (the only time I've owned AMD before). It might be a problem, or it might not be a problem. Just choose correct chassi, fans and power supply. It is easier/less expensive to build a silent DAW with a CPU that does not generate too much heat. That is just a fact.

Also: It's not a coincience that datacenters are leaving Intel for AMD. Heat and cost of running CPU's really matters there. Just look at the performance of Threadrippers vs Watts/heat.

After all this ranting I'm going to ask the obvious question now that the Intel CPUs are available...
Has anyone here tested out a 12600K, 12700K or 12900K yet?

Apparently not lol.. One guy said he has but only gives an example of one tiny use case. When I ask him about the PC components he doesn't answer, so I'm a bit doubtful.
I'm getting a 12900k build in early January hopefully so I'll be happy to test whatever I can then.

Danish 12900K short-review from yestourday ,.. "Several problems, but big potential"

Don't have the time to translate, but put it through google-translate needed be

In the next few day they will pop up an mass I guess

I find the price to be reasonable

https://www.gamereactor.dk/gadgets/1026 ... +i912900K/
HM

Has anyone actually used a 12900k Alder Lake system, with Win 11 and Ableton Live 11?

I'm assuming everything will be great, and extremely snappy even with heavy loads of plugins with the 16 cores / 24 threads being allocated to multi tracks.

BUT - I'm just wondering if anyone has actual first hand experience with 12900k and Win 11 Pro + Ableton Live 11. The thing that concerns me is that it's a bit of a departure with P-core and E-core threads, controlled by Win 11. I'm wondering if that's something that might not be optimal for how Ableton Live uses multi-threading -- or maybe its even better?

Would love to hear from anyone who has actually used this setup. I've got a 12900k build configured on paper.

analogkid82 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:57 pm Has anyone actually used a 12900k Alder Lake system, with Win 11 and Ableton Live 11?

I'm assuming everything will be great, and extremely snappy even with heavy loads of plugins with the 16 cores / 24 threads being allocated to multi tracks.

BUT - I'm just wondering if anyone has actual first hand experience with 12900k and Win 11 Pro + Ableton Live 11. The thing that concerns me is that it's a bit of a departure with P-core and E-core threads, controlled by Win 11. I'm wondering if that's something that might not be optimal for how Ableton Live uses multi-threading -- or maybe its even better?

Would love to hear from anyone who has actually used this setup. I've got a 12900k build configured on paper.
So far there has been very little testing of the Alder Lake CPUs with pro audio software and nothing with Ableton Live. They seem to work well in Reaper but that's all we know.
I'm hoping for reports from Ableton users just as much as you.

Have you seen these benchmarks yet?
https://gearspace.com/board/showpost.ph ... tcount=438

@dentaku - Thanks. Yeah, I've seen the benchmarks. On paper, it definitely seems like the new Alder Lake architecture will be great. I'm considering for two use cases - Davinci Resolve Video Editing and Effects, and then Ableton Live 11 (with lots of VST instances and tracks)

I just want to wait and hear from a couple Ableton users, just because the way threading works on Alder Lake is a bit of a departure. I'm just hoping to confirm that it doesn't cause any negative quirks in Live.

I guess we're both in the same boat, hoping for hands-on info. I've got a system spec'd out, but I'm going to wait until January to pull the trigger - due to some of these unknowns (and hoping that maybe stock/cost might improve a tiny after holidays.

analogkid82 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:09 pm @dentaku - Thanks. Yeah, I've seen the benchmarks. On paper, it definitely seems like the new Alder Lake architecture will be great. I'm considering for two use cases - Davinci Resolve Video Editing and Effects, and then Ableton Live 11 (with lots of VST instances and tracks)

I just want to wait and hear from a couple Ableton users, just because the way threading works on Alder Lake is a bit of a departure. I'm just hoping to confirm that it doesn't cause any negative quirks in Live.

I guess we're both in the same boat, hoping for hands-on info. I've got a system spec'd out, but I'm going to wait until January to pull the trigger - due to some of these unknowns (and hoping that maybe stock/cost might improve a tiny after holidays.
"in the same boat " indeed.
Any modern computer can plays lots of audio tracks but when it comes to using lots of VSTs, especially instruments, that's when you need a system that makes use of all your cores efficiently. Hopefully someone buys themselves a new Alder Lake system over Christmas and tests it with Ableton Live 11.

I mean, this is pretty much the system I want to build. Hopefully someone who owns one will report their thoughts on it.
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/3xs-pro ... 1-see-info

The Dr Mix machine looks nice too. It's very similar but has a few extras.
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/3xs-pro ... 1-see-info

Both of those systems look like good options. I didn't know about the Dr. Mix build, but it's similar to the one I spec'd.

That DDR5 memory is nearly impossible to find. Scalpers are marking it up by 2-3 times currently. For my build I'm looking at one of the GTX graphics cards too, as using it for video editing / resolve as well. Scalpers also marking those up 2-3x. Frustrating.

Where to buy 3xs type pro audio pc's in europe now that scan is inside brexit? Would also like to know how Live10 or 11 performs on i9+Win11
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

It just happens that today Dr. Mix did a video about his new scan.co.uk computer.
https://youtu.be/SvkRD1gcz34

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”