Synapse Audio - Dune 3.5 Released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

THE INTRANCER wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:51 am I'm currently nearly there with my complete redesigned version of Dune complete with digital dials. (the dials took hours in photoshop, all 188 of them, but the results were worth it.. :-) )

FX Tabs and similar ones were redrawn from scratch, and many other elements. New fonts on all the different screens.

Working with the 'Huge' screen size.

View large image here

Apart from the digital knobs, looks better than anything you've done so far, but the square corner filter effect on a round corner background just doesn't work.
Also, the two crossed out parameters in osc section don't match

In osc, semi is -/+ 36, so 63 on screenshot is wrong (as is amp level) tho you may have fixed each readout to match actual values correctly after making that image (image count is not relevant to parameter range)

AnX wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:29 am
Apart from the digital knobs, looks better than anything you've done so far, but the square corner filter effect on a round corner background just doesn't work.
Also, the two crossed out parameters in osc section don't match

In osc, semi is -/+ 36, so 63 on screenshot is wrong (as is amp level) tho you may have fixed each readout to match actual values correctly after making that image (image count is not relevant to parameter range)
I've made some changes to the design in that area where the black rounded background plate sits behind the rectangular strip in addition to the cross and circles being more similar between each section.

The round digital displays only represent the value of rotation between 0 and 188, and this applies to all knobs where the digital displays are used. You basically have the exact value of the knob that you can compare and dial in with at a glance. With Dune 3, there are isn't any specific way to assign a particular knob to a specific value type because knob are limited to just 3 sizes.

So far, I've been slowly making my way through the graphical assets and updating the GUI...

Latest Update Image
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

You need to do that when you make the knobs. Start at -36, finish at +36. Assign each frame a number , so you will have several frames with the same numbers.

If the image doesn't represent the actual value it's pointless having it.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:09 am With Dune 3, there are isn't any specific way to assign a particular knob to a specific value type because knob are limited to just 3 sizes.
Yes, there is. Each parameter that is controlled by a knob can either be assigned to a unipolar or bipolar knob. So, actually, there are six different knob types (3 different sizes times 2 different polarities). And if you need more (new) knobs, you will probably just have to make them, put them in the skins folder and assign them to a parameter of your choice in the config.ini file.

BTW: I agree with AnX that this is your best work so far.

AnX wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:29 am If the image doesn't represent the actual value it's pointless having it.
Agreed. A semitone value of 63 doesn't make sense. +7 or -12 etc makes sense. How will you represent 1/2T or 1/8* values in the Delay Effects or Ratios like 2.1:1 on the Compressor knob ?

But I'll add to the others and say visually this is your best work so far although the use of the monitor and waveform backgrounds with the reflection streaks across them wouldn't be my first choice as I've not been a fan since they first introduced in the Light skin some time ago.

I always visually key off of the positions of the knob pointers like ADSR, Cutoff, etc so this skin wouldn't be for me but if you can get the readout values to match the knob values exactly then I think this skin will be popular and add something different. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

e-musician wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:03 pm
THE INTRANCER wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:09 am With Dune 3, there are isn't any specific way to assign a particular knob to a specific value type because knob are limited to just 3 sizes.
Yes, there is. Each parameter that is controlled by a knob can either be assigned to a unipolar or bipolar knob. So, actually, there are six different knob types (3 different sizes times 2 different polarities). And if you need more (new) knobs, you will probably just have to make them, put them in the skins folder and assign them to a parameter of your choice in the config.ini file.

BTW: I agree with AnX that this is your best work so far.
Actually, if you look in the config file, there are a lot more knobs :wink:

AnX wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:29 am You need to do that when you make the knobs. Start at -36, finish at +36. Assign each frame a number , so you will have several frames with the same numbers.

If the image doesn't represent the actual value it's pointless having it.
I understand what you and Techsonic are saying, but Dune because of the way it's designed, won't allow you to define what section of the interface is to be unique (or in this case the specific knob type to follow a specific function).

The 'Knob Big' graphic is allocated to Cutoff, and Resonance, whilst the 'Knob Middle' is allocated to multiple panels which includes the ADSR control, Filter Envelopes, Unison, Master, Env Amount, the knobs in the effects section in addition to the oscillators. If I change the digital values to accommodate a start of minus 36 and plus 36 then every other section will be wrong as they start at 0 percent and end at 100%, or in this case 0 to 188 in it's digital equivalent.

The intermediate ( digital display ) value is 94 when you double-click to reset the semitones of the oscillators, which is then at the zero value position. Detune and Spread knobs are based on percentages in the same area.

If you look at the standard knobs on any of the GUI's supplied, the semi-tone dial at zero, are half lit on the left side, rather than being unlit and only illuminated when rotated left or right of the central position.

In that sense, one can say that the way the knobs Synapse provide are illuminated in a way that don't represent actual bi-polar functionality and that's simply because of the design of the synth which relies on the popup value display.

The alternative is to sacrifice all the other digital displays because of just one aspect doesn't follow precise conventions. If you understand the relationship of what the digital values mean, then it's not that difficult.

The popup value display is matched to the digital display which is an approximation of the position based on the number knobs. With there being 188 knobs and 72 semitones, there is some overlap. In that sense, there is some free running movement of the values.

There is going to be some compromise, it just depends on which side you fall on. One could just have the Filter 1 and Filter 2 Cutoff and Res as digital readouts and knobs elsewhere, but it's not as much fun. It's easy to switch to those if one wanted to.

Maybe Richard of Synapse can offer a solution to this...
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

It's totally possible, you just need to edit config file, I know, I've done it.

The graphic side is easy too, but that's down to you

Basically, you can have a separate bipolar knob for the osc

There is a new 6 knob variant, but these must be added/configured manually.

To get new knobs working for your custom skin, please do the following:

1) Add the frames amount in the [General] section in the "Configuration.ini" file, named:

KnobCustom1Frames = X

2) Add PNG image to the skin folder, named:

CustomKnob1.png

3) Set up this name for the specified parameter you want in the "Configuration.ini", for example:

FMAmountA = 188, 164, CustomKnob1

4) Use the above for numbers from 1 to 6.

AnX wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:59 pm
There is a new 6 knob variant, but these must be added/configured manually.

To get new knobs working for your custom skin, please do the following:

1) Add the frames amount in the [General] section in the "Configuration.ini" file, named:

KnobCustom1Frames = X

2) Add PNG image to the skin folder, named:

CustomKnob1.png

3) Set up this name for the specified parameter you want in the "Configuration.ini", for example:

FMAmountA = 188, 164, CustomKnob1

4) Use the above for numbers from 1 to 6.
Ok, thanks... I'll give that method a stab to get working solution. Still some way to go in updating things graphically, but I'm getting there. I'll be switching out the striped displays for something different as well, in keeping with the transformation process.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:32 pm I understand what you and Techsonic are saying,
Good luck with the new skin Entrantzer. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Ok, with a bit of jiggery pockery, I managed to sort out the semi value knob issue. Here's quick video of where I'm at with the project.

Edit: Need to add a custom semi knob for the third oscillator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_SKn13BDw8

Now all you need to do is change the rest to max 100 value, and change the other bipolar ones...but all this skin chat is prob better in your dedicated thread :wink:

ok newb action... how do i make the LFO unipolar? doing my head in.
cheers!

is Dune going on sale or not?

Return to “Instruments”