Best ISP Limiters?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
LoudMax

Ghenea and Hanes not caring about high frequency cramping, aliasing, oversampling, true peaks etc, is an interesting topic. I'm not at all surprised, as many of these things have only come to the fore in the last 5-10 years or so. It does prove in that sense that it's just about the music and it's not that big a deal getting bogged down in technical perfection (life is messy / so is music production). If the song is good, sounds good...

But then you can also almost objectively prove that dealing with some of these things (not clipping over 0dB, not aliasing, not cramping etc) improves audio fidelity. It can often be very subtle but it's there, and it's scientifically measurable. I say 'almost' because again everything is subjective.

Anyway, they are prolly running at least 96kHz project sessions anyway, so high frequency cramping and aliasing are largely negated at higher sample rates.

Just saying that Billie Eilish clips above 0dB = so don't worry about clipping... is a bit of a fool's errand / diminishing returns thing. You would need to hear an A/B of the clipping/non-clipping version and then decide. My assumption is the version that isn't slammed on the meters would sound better, when volume matched.

ISPs dont necessarily mean clips. My interface has a few dB of headroom so the isps are just peaks in the end, not clipped.
ISPs mean clips if there's no headroom

MogwaiBoy wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:04 pm Anyway, they are prolly running at least 96kHz project sessions anyway, so high frequency cramping and aliasing are largely negated at higher sample rates.
They only run at 96 the session they get at 96 and 96 is not the norm among the artists they work with. They also have no reason to work at 96 because they also do atmos mixes. (The cpu power requirements are huge for atmos at high sample rates.)

From John Hanes: “Mix passes are generally printed at 24bit 44.1kHz for Serban's mixes. He likes to control the conversion to 44.1.

For my separate work where I'm mixing, I'll print mix passes at 24bit 48kHz if that is the resolution of the session.

Stems are always printed at the resolution of the session.

Only recently have we started doing 96kHz mixing; the Taylor Swift "Fearless" Taylor's version was recorded, mixed, and mastered at 96kHz for most of the songs.

So for that, all mix passes and stems are at the session resolution of 24bit 96kHz.“ - April 6 2021

Ploki wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:20 pm ISPs dont necessarily mean clips. My interface has a few dB of headroom so the isps are just peaks in the end, not clipped.
Except that the concept of an ISP as generally accepted in the industry means a peak that clips. Otherwise there is no reason to talk about them.

plexuss wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:45 am
Ploki wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:20 pm ISPs dont necessarily mean clips. My interface has a few dB of headroom so the isps are just peaks in the end, not clipped.
Except that the concept of an ISP as generally accepted in the industry means a peak that clips. Otherwise there is no reason to talk about them.
People clip more than that pre limiter, so 2dB isp is like free dynamic range, whether it clips or not.

Return to “Effects”