One Synth Challenge #154: Triple Cheese by u-he (schiing wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Triple Cheese

IV! wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:09 pm ...

I have next banks: b78, beardedone, biolabs, crscheid - cheese, JA Triple Cheese, Mouse in Space, rsmus7, SF Triple Cheese, SW Triple Cheese, tasmaniandevil, Tim Conrardi, Triple Cheese HH, Triple Cheese luCi.

P.S. All for Windows.
I think in this link there are some presets that you don't have yet:

https://u-he.com/PatchLib/tc.html

:tu:

L-EctroBit wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:57 pm I think in this link there are some presets that you don't have yet:

https://u-he.com/PatchLib/tc.html

:tu:
Wow, thank you so much! :tu:

I am very pleased that Triple Cheese from one browser perfectly sees and plays h2p and fxp presets!

briefcasemanx wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:19 am I think these are only for AU for anyone interested doesn't seem to work with VST
Ooops. Here's a properly formatted set..
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7xczofzfenk4h ... e.zip?dl=0

jasinski wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:58 pm
briefcasemanx wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:19 am I think these are only for AU for anyone interested doesn't seem to work with VST
Ooops. Here's a properly formatted set..
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7xczofzfenk4h ... e.zip?dl=0
Very good, I'll check em out tomorrow!

MilksterX wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:25 pm In order to get a kick that sounds real you need to use DC on CSO1 and leave cso2 and 3 off although you could damp it a bit. But I prefer raw DC. Envelope 1 needs to be a very short decay 200ms in order to stop repetitions. No sus, and a very small release to stop any note off additional clicks.

Work on getting a single clear click sound to begin with.

Then boost with a shelf EQ it at around 90hz and scoop out frequencies with a notch band at around 270hz and roll off the with a lowpass at 2.5khz.
Now add another EQ and roll off with a highpass curve between 20-30hz.

This should give you the frequency spectrum of a solid kick sound.

In order to get that a more punchier kick sound you're going to need an all pass filter or automate a slightly resonant curve with an EQ - from 1khz down to 60hz . Think there's a few free ones that do continuous sweeps such as allpassphase vst. Results aren't quite the same with an EQ and it's a lot of work and you end up with more of a muddy thump if it's not perfect but they tend to give the weight required for more dancefloor type genres.

IV I think filter plugins are allowed as long as they aren't pushed to self oscillation.
Oh man this is just voodoo magic! A new world of kicks just opened up... :hail:

That Αllpassphase VST works wonders on that click and you can get so many kick variations just by playing around with the (very few) parameters it almost feels like cheating :D.

Thanks for sharing the knowledge!

និព្វាន*Vanquishing Devaputta Māra*និព្វាន

My first time ever using Triple Cheese and I fully understand all the praise for it in the thread! From now on I will use it all the time, love it! :tu:

I managed to create some cool percussion things like tambourines & shakers etc. The snare I made fits the song but it is really the solo violin that I love the most! I'm pretty sure you guys can create much better sounding violins than I ever can. I used Ignite NadIR and these free Violin Impulse Responses:
http://pcfarina.eng.unipr.it/Public/IMP-RESP/Violins/

Really looking forward to hearing what everybody will create this month, Triple Cheese is a real gem!

All the new ideas that came out of this OSC jam makes me really happy, my type of harmony! :party:

The song sounds like a mix between African, Indian & Gypsy Music being a little modern and funky…I dunno… ;)

Number of Triple Cheese instances: 61

DAW: Cubase 11

Cubase plugins made by Steinberg:
RoomWorks, StereoDelay, MultiTap Delay, Autopan, Squasher, Stepfilter, StereoEnhancer, SoftClipper, Compressor & Brickwall Limiter

FREE plugins:
Slate Fresh Air
TDR Kotelnikov
Valhalla Supermassive
Melda Mcharmverb
Analog Obsession: Relife, SweetDrums, BritPre & BritPressor
Ignite NadIR
with these IRs: http://pcfarina.eng.unipr.it/Public/IMP-RESP/Violins/

និព្វាន*Vanquishing Devaputta Māra*និព្វាន

https://soundcloud.com/user-414219875/v ... putta-mara

Namo tassa bhagavato arahato sammāsaṃbuddhassa
With all the fx, amp and synth emulations out there, not to mention AI, you can finally sound like…? Someone else and something that has already been done! :clap: :tu: :party: ------- :scared:

phankiejankie303 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:56 pm That Αllpassphase VST works wonders on that click and you can get so many kick variations just by playing around with the (very few) parameters it almost feels like cheating :D.
I also appreciate the interesting sound design tips. But I note again that it's moving a fundamental part of the sound design out of the synth and into the effects. If it feels like cheating, maybe that's why? It's not something I'll be doing for OSC, anyway. Remember, not permitted is "Any effect that transforms the sound to make them unrecognizable as being from the synth." Is the end result recognizable as the click you got from the synth? If you feel Allpassphase is working wonders to transform it into many kick variations, I suggest your answer, like mine, should be "no".

(Also, if you set the wet/dry to anywhere other than 100% or 0%, you're effectively using a phaser, for which the rules are completely unambiguous.)
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

phankiejankie303 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:56 pm That Αllpassphase VST works wonders on that click and you can get so many kick variations just by playing around with the (very few) parameters it almost feels like cheating :D.
No offense intended, but that would be because it actually IS cheating ! Sweeping an allpass filter is a modulation effect, regardless of the way it's created or any wet\dry settings. If it isn't, then modulating a tiny delay with an LFO isn't a chorus either. And the rule on modulation effects might as well be abandoned altogether.

No offense taken, I am just following the thread and tried out of curiosity the tip from MilksterX.

It works insanely well although before someone commits to it to make his kick, we need some kind of verification from the OSC overlords about this.

I got the impression following the thread that it's a bit on the thin line but allowed.

I would like to also add that at least in my case I didn't do a sweep or any kind of modulation on the filter. I just dialed in some numbers on the parameters and boom awesome kick but I don't really know how the Αllpassphase VST effect works and if modulation is a fundamental part of how it operates internally.

The FX chain is Triple Cheese → SlickEQ → Αllpassphase → Nightshine Compressor.

No modulation or automation used at all. EQs (even for tone shaping) and Compressors as far as I know are allowed so it all comes down to Αllpassphase (which I repeat in my case despite MilksterX's suggestion no automation or modulation or any kind of sweep is used on it).

MilksterX wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:35 pm But so far the vst3 isn't working as it should for me. Various mod sources aren't working
If you think you encountered a bug, it would be awesome if you could actually contact our support about this, as we cannot screen every possible online forum thread for mentions of bugs.
https://u-he.com/support/#contact

Had a quick test with the VST3 on Mac and Windows in Reaper, and the vibrato rate modulation works fine with all available mod sources over here.

Thus please include as many details as possible in your mail.
Like operating system, host and host version, plugin format, plugin revision number (can be found in the GUI), the MIDI controller you are using, on which MIDI channel you are sending the data, and what actually doesn't work as expected.

I'm sure we can figure out if there is a bug, or if it's something else.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

ELEX wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:21 pm I've never even tried an U-he VST3, as they were basically recommending not to, a couple of years ago.
As you said, this was "a couple of years ago". :wink:
The new version does include a proper VST3 implementation, which is safe to use.

briefcasemanx wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:23 pm What about if a software bug in the synth causes sounds the designer didn't intend? I'm getting some random raspy distortion on a certain patch and I don't *think* it's intended.
If you think it might be a bug, then please let us know by sending some details to our support team.
https://u-he.com/support/#contact

Include as many details as possible, like operating system, host and host version, plugin format, plugin revision (can be found in the GUI).
And maybe also an audio example of the problem, and mention which preset does exhibit that behaviour.

phankiejankie303 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:35 pm No offense taken, I am just following the thread and tried out of curiosity the tip from MilksterX.

It works insanely well although before someone commits to it to make his kick, we need some kind of verification from the OSC overlords about this.

I got the impression following the thread that it's a bit on the thin line but allowed.

I would like to also add that at least in my case I didn't do a sweep or any kind of modulation on the filter. I just dialed in some numbers on the parameters and boom awesome kick but I don't really know how the Αllpassphase VST effect works and if modulation is a fundamental part of how it operates internally.

The FX chain is Triple Cheese → SlickEQ → Αllpassphase → Nightshine Compressor.

No modulation or automation used at all. EQs (even for tone shaping) and Compressors as far as I know are allowed so it all comes down to Αllpassphase (which I repeat in my case despite MilksterX's suggestion no automation or modulation or any kind of sweep is used on it).
Just had a go with it and however it works, it does indeed work a treat for kicks without any modulation. Also take things into "unrecognizable as coming from the synth" territory very quickly! Very similar to a swept resonating filter. For anyone interested, here's a few pics illustrating it's workings, all start with the same dry click.

dry click:
Click_Dry.png
Click > AllPassPhase ( default Q, 10 iteration, 50 Hz)
Click_AllPassPhase_10.png
Click > AllPAssPhase ( default Q, 25 iterations, 50 Hz )
Click_AllPassPhase_25.png
For comparison: Click > TDR Nova ( 72dB HP at 60Hz + 6db boost at 70 Hz )
Click_TDR_Nova.png
Audio examples of the above
Audio.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hey, it really looks like a cheat! :tantrum: And universal, because you will get this featureless click +- from any synthesizer! :D It looks like a SoundGoodizer for drums! :hihi:

Return to “Instruments”