Anything to permute midi?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:45 pm
fairlyclose wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:43 am Love to hear how you would go about it in Bitwig tho
Look into “Transpose Map” it should do it…
If you want more than octave mapping, create a Note FX Layer and place filters for the octaves before feeding it into the map.
I guess you could create a reascript for Reaper. There is a place that can help:
https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3
Will see what Transpose Map is but I'm not doing any consistent transposing so I'm struggling to see how it will apply
Will check out that reascript link, thanks

fairlyclose wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:55 pm
I've been playing around with adding a proper shuffle to that version of MXM (the code base is gross...). I have a working version that can take any number of notes and note numbers (all or selected), but there is a caveat - it is monophonic. Using the Fisher-Yates algorithm, there is a chance that two notes at the same position can end up with the same note number. When these are inserted into Reaper's midi editor, it will assume that there should only be one note there and remove the duplicate [sad face].

I am not sure (yet) how to work around that with the FY algo (or at least my implementation of it). I could possibly do a brute force check to ensure that there are no notes at the same position with the same note number, and then swap it with the next position that has a different note number before inserting to the editor. But for large numbers of notes, this could become quite slow if there are a number of clashes. However, I'll play around with it for a while and get back to you.

If you can live with monophonic shuffling for now, then I can share the script via dropbox, you'd just need to overwrite the old one.

I think I've cracked it. Give me a shout here or in a DM and I'll pass on the script for testing. It seems reasonably solid but could do with a very large note count test before I release it into the wild : )

neverbeeninariot wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:42 pm
I think I've cracked it. Give me a shout here or in a DM and I'll pass on the script for testing. It seems reasonably solid but could do with a very large note count test before I release it into the wild : )
amazing! have messaged you. once again, amazing!

fairlyclose wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:21 pm
neverbeeninariot wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:42 pm
amazing! have messaged you. once again, amazing!
no problem, and bravo for taking on a beta script - hopefully it doesn't eat your cat ;)

neverbeeninariot wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:28 pm
no problem, and bravo for taking on a beta script - hopefully it doesn't eat your cat ;)
Haven't seen her so far this morning. Normally she comes in the studio first thing. Bound to be around somewhere, probably on the lounge. I might go have a look ......

If the script produces a burp, its probably digesting your cat…

[/quote]
thanks anyway - back to mulab free - which works fine but I am then working outside my DAW s not as interactive and immediate
[/quote]
It might be of interest, that the plans are that you will be able to use Mulab 9 within you DAW when its out of beta.

heks wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:58 am thanks anyway - back to mulab free - which works fine but I am then working outside my DAW s not as interactive and immediate
It might be of interest, that the plans are that you will be able to use Mulab 9 within you DAW when its out of beta.
[/quote]

heks wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:59 am
heks wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:58 am thanks anyway - back to mulab free - which works fine but I am then working outside my DAW s not as interactive and immediate
[/quote]

thanks anyway - back to mulab free - which works fine but I am then working outside my DAW s not as interactive and immediate

:oops:

heks wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:01 am:oops:
messed that up :oops: :oops:

heks wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:00 am thanks anyway - back to mulab free - which works fine but I am then working outside my DAW s not as interactive and immediate

Thanks, will keep a lookout for that

Return to “Effects”