VCV Rack 2 is out! Free and Pro versions ($99 at launch)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yeah, Plateau is a really nice sounding verb. Sounds wonderful and bloopy synth sequences. Good stuff!

Personally I think it's way overrated as a reverb.. but I realize I may be a minority with this opinion.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:55 am Personally I think it's way overrated as a reverb.. but I realize I may be a minority with this opinion.
It definitely doesn't always work. But whenever I've had a patch that sounded cool with Plateau, replacing it with a "better" reverb always made it worse. It's such a distinct sound that I sometimes really like, that I can't replicate it or improve upon it when it's doing something that I think works. It's distinct sounding and I appreciate that aspect of it.

Then again, you're not a big ValhallaVintageVerb fan from what I recall and I love that one too. I kinda like reverb that's thick and murky (dark, modulated), a little psychedelic and unreal, versus something clean that blends into the background. At least on synths.

Plateau lands in that place I like between delay and reverb. The modulation isn't ideal IMHO, but everything else works for me in terms of sound.

As a module I find it kind of ugly and crowded, but that matters a bit less in software than a hardware module... no problems bumping the wrong knob when tweaking it :D

I'm really liking Sckitam's Polygonal VCO along with 2DRotation and 2DAffine, and NSYTHI Etchasketchascope. It's like a free E-RM Polygogo! :hyper:

Energy is a cool VCO too, I'd happily own that in hardware if I didn't get it in VCV first. :tu:

I'm kind of curious about Slime Child Substation. It's various modules that add up to a Moog Subharmonicon, more or less.

foosnark wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:22 pm I'm kind of curious about Slime Child Substation. It's various modules that add up to a Moog Subharmonicon, more or less.
I just bought it - $15 well spent, lots of fun and sounds great (seem like great Dev support as well, a lot of updates) -It fun to set up in various module configurations as pre-sets, so great we can do that now and perfect for something like this.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

bog audio walk2 is lot of fun ! if you didn t try yet, it might end up in all your patchs :D

modulating a bit of everyhting with that is just too much fun

something i never tought about before and i see it available on some wavetable osc is the possibility to scan the wavetables bank like if it was a single wavetable (wihtout smoothing) .. it can be really good for sound that need very abrut transition between different tables.. have to check if there is some trickery to do that on usual wavetables synth plugins wihtout editing a wavetable but i don t think it s possible.. anyway it gave me great idea to make a wavetable out of some my favorite ones that could match well with abrut change.
it s very good to give that sort of random sh sounds lead effect but without changing the pitch.

the erika osc is very good for that with some formant and metallic fm tables, you can modulate the scan of the tables and the scan of the bank at same time with different modulators.. amazing stuff really for these sounds.. instant oldschool detroit techno type of sound with this..mechanical, industrial ..

i gave a try to the drums it sound good imo ..i could use this or sample no one would notice a quality difference.. i have plenty of 909 sample run into many gears and i can say the vcv snare is very very good specially with a bit of dirt added, used Hetric shaper , didn t need to look for something else to have a nice driven 909 sound

I love the audible( mutable) instr macro osc 2 set to drum-snare algoritm .
Tip , regular out and aux gives 808-909 variation .
Souns really good
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:39 pm I love the audible( mutable) instr macro osc 2 set to drum-snare algoritm .
Tip , regular out and aux gives 808-909 variation .
Souns really good
thanks i will try , i have seen a kick drum also on one of their osc but i didn t try yet .

i made a recording of some of the drums but it very rought ,i m trying to figure out how to sequence drums and with what i could make different pattern and making them evolving with also some randomness ..

tempo probably too fast just having some fun but for zero processing just drived it i think the drums raw sound is quiet good, the snare can acutally be way better than in this recording, it s very close to 909 ..https://www.dropbox.com/s/x40u7nteryfor ... 1.wav?dl=0

here a other one https://www.dropbox.com/s/4501styzqrjon5u/Tek.wav?dl=0

love that erica osc and lfo.. need to check how i could make the sound more evolving and random

i was sepctical at first and tought i would never use these but i was wrong.. these do a great job.. offocuse most people are used to processsed drums so it might sound bad for them .. but as raw source these are more than good enought to me ( well the kick i can t judge i haven t used a drum machine kick since so many years, i use more sine zap kicks).

i don t know if i m dreaming but to me it s sound almost like hardware and it s unprocessed not even mixed, it s not static at all like sample wihtout round robin but it seems the clock has a prblem maybe haha not sure the kick could be very random on each hit like one some drum machine depending the patch (was aiming for sort of mid 90 sound but not there.. )
sound like a 909 really..

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:01 am Then again, you're not a big ValhallaVintageVerb fan from what I recall and I love that one too. I kinda like reverb that's thick and murky (dark, modulated), a little psychedelic and unreal, versus something clean that blends into the background. At least on synths.
That's not true any more. You must be remembering my original comments when the reverb was first released. Since then there have been a bunch of new algorithms that I really like a lot.

I do realize what you are saying though. Sometimes pristine and easy to mix reverbs aren't the answer and I totally agree with you.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Audible instr.. Macrosynth 2 909 kick example , synthie line is Macrosynth set to fm
Pitch shift is A.I texture ( clouds )

https://app.box.com/s/96gs1g5wsqk8dilcq8t7es4zth1zix5d
Eyeball exchanging

gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:28 pm Audible instr.. Macrosynth 2 909 kick example , synthie line is Macrosynth set to fm
Pitch shift is A.I texture ( clouds )

https://app.box.com/s/96gs1g5wsqk8dilcq8t7es4zth1zix5d
nice ,sound good man , vcv sound much better than what i first tought

was playing with alright filter... routing the filter in the vca i guess it make a feedback loop and it sounded really good on the sound i was making it seemss a good filter.
the nysthi 303 filter also is really dirty in a nice way it seems

i don t understand the erica lfo, all the output is it at different phase? anyway it s great for adding groove

edit: yes the zzzorb filter is nice.. can be organic , liquid , made some sort of jew harp modulated sound with it ..there s plenty of good filters..

VCV itself doesn't really have a sound ,
It all comes down to the modules , There are lot's of modules that sound decent up untill a certain point , then they just fall appart.
Somtimes oversampling helps but that's not a guarantee.
Squinky labs is a good example , lot's of people love it but I think it's mediocre at best.
The frequency shifter has an unpleasant noise , bog audio filter explodes when doing FM with high res etc.
Just sticking to a few great modules is for me the best approach .
Audible , Befaco, Instruo and Vult is the top notch stuff you need .
For logic , hetrick , m lueders etc.
Instruo is amazing but not yet ported to vcv2
Eyeball exchanging

Return to “Instruments”