Which DAW GIANTS have folded and not recovered ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Which large music softwares SPECIFICALLY - DAWS On the level of Ableton, logic, cubase ,etc have folded
And disbanded completely?
You can't say cakewalk or sonar because that software Is still open and going strong
After being taken on by bandlab for example

I guess you can say Orion
Even though synapse is still open
Because they discontinued that DAW
And no other company has taken it over as yet
Just curious cheers people
Last edited by matrixo9 on Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

matrixo9 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:43 pm Which large music software companies On the level of Ableton, logic, cubase ,etc have folded...

You can't say cakewalk because there still open and going strong
Well, technically, the history of the company goes something like Twelve Tone Systems > Cakewalk > Cakewalk by Roland > Cakewalk > acquired by and eventually ceased development under Gibson. So, the Cakewalk company ultimately folded, but their flagship DAW product SONAR was acquired by Bandlab and renamed Cakewalk after the founding company. So, the product lived on but the Cakewalk software company did not.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:29 am
matrixo9 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:43 pm Which large music software companies On the level of Ableton, logic, cubase ,etc have folded...

You can't say cakewalk because there still open and going strong
Well, technically, the history of the company goes something like Twelve Tone Systems > Cakewalk > Cakewalk by Roland > Cakewalk > acquired by and eventually ceased development under Gibson. So, the Cakewalk company ultimately folded, but their flagship DAW product SONAR was acquired by Bandlab and renamed Cakewalk after the founding company. So, the product lived on but the Cakewalk software company did not.
I get what you mean
But you know what I meant
And that wasn't it lol

Because sony acid is gone
But magix acid is still here and the original product is still there
That's what I meant

I'll reword the headline

Not as well known as the current big DAWs, but Cakewalk’s Project5 was pretty popular before Cakewalk discontinued it back in 2009 :( They also had a less well known basic DAW called Kinetic that they ditched around the same time, IIRC
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:42 am Not as well known as the current big DAWs, but Cakewalk’s Project5 was pretty popular before Cakewalk discontinued it back in 2009 :( They also had a less well known basic DAW called Kinetic that they ditched around the same time, IIRC
I guess then you could put Steinberg's attempt at garageband sequel in that bracket .

I'm just really interested in this because a lot of people see the end of the road for reason
But I think someone would grab it like they did with acid or cakewalk if that were to happen

Not exactly a 'giant' ... but Arturia Storm comes to mind. It was quirky at best. At the time, it seemed like Arturia wanted it to be a direct competitor to Reason (or maybe, Project 5). I remember trying it, but never warmed up to it at all.

On the topic of Reason, I have a feeling that if this topic is posted again in a couple of years... :scared:

lessera wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:52 am Not exactly a 'giant' ... but Arturia Storm comes to mind. It was quirky at best. At the time, it seemed like Arturia wanted it to be a direct competitor to Reason. I remember trying it, but never warmed up to it at all.

On the topic of Reason, I have a feeling that if this topic is posted again in a couple of years... :scared:
Could be but don't you think someone would take it on ?

Interesting thought. I can’t really imagine that Reason would completely go away. I’ve never owned it, but it certainly seems too big to fail and has a niche that no other DAW fills.

cryophonik wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:53 am Interesting thought. I can’t really imagine that Reason would completely go away. I’ve never owned it, but it certainly seems too big to fail and has a niche that no other DAW fills.

I would like to believe this, but each year I see the DAW market move in a direction that leaves little room for such a 'niche product.'

lessera wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:58 am
cryophonik wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:53 am Interesting thought. I can’t really imagine that Reason would completely go away. I’ve never owned it, but it certainly seems too big to fail and has a niche that no other DAW fills.

I would like to believe this, but each year I see the DAW market move in a direction that leaves little room for such a 'niche product.'
What can I say, I’m an optimist :shrug: :hihi:

cryophonik wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:01 am
lessera wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:58 am

What can I say, I’m an optimist :shrug: :hihi:
I have been an enthusiastic user/supporter of Reason since (true story) version 1.0

It is my belief that Reason reached a peak at version 2. But since then, the whole DAW industry has evolved in a way that leaves Reason to dwell within the realm of novelty-software. I hope the best for RS, but I am not sure they'll ever be as relevant in this market as they once were.

cryophonik wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:42 am Not as well known as the current big DAWs, but Cakewalk’s Project5 was pretty popular before Cakewalk discontinued it back in 2009 :( They also had a less well known basic DAW called Kinetic that they ditched around the same time, IIRC
Kinetic would make a great app for tablets. It was a quick tool for making tight grooves. Probably a stretch to call it a DAW though.
Even if the piano player can't play, keep the party going.
http://www.soundclick.com/mumpcake
https://mumpfucious.wordpress.com/

mumpcake wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:25 am
Kinetic would make a great app for tablets. It was a quick tool for making tight grooves. Probably a stretch to call it a DAW though.
True, as I recall it wasn’t for recording audio, but they did eventually add VST support just before CW abandoned it, right? I bought it when they offered it to Sonar owners for something ridiculous like $10 and thought it was cool for sketching out ideas, but never really ended up using it. Yeah, it would be cool to have on a tablet!

Opcode Systems and their DAW Studio Vision
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opcode_Systems

Not mega-huge, but: AudioMulch was remarkably innovative and pretty influential in its time, then has all but faded away without a 64-bit version.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”