Studio One users... You staying or going?

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
User avatar
Frantz
KVRAF
5782 posts since 18 Jul, 2008 from New York

Post Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:31 pm

I really don't want to go but since it crashes at least once a session, I am thinking about heading for the door. :(

flori89
KVRist
195 posts since 19 Aug, 2021

Post Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:54 pm

Frantz wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:31 pm
I really don't want to go but since it crashes at least once a session, I am thinking about heading for the door. :(
Yea the constant crashing is an issue. They claim it's plugins, but I don't have crashes in Ableton so I call BS on that.

User avatar
antic604
KVRAF
11280 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:30 am

Frantz wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:31 pm
I really don't want to go but since it crashes at least once a session, I am thinking about heading for the door. :(
Were you able to identify which plugins you're using when it happens? I don't recall any crashes with current S1 v5 on Win10 and I use VSTs mostly, because S1's instruments & effects are pretty "meh" for what I do.
FOR SALE: Live 11 Suite $375



Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

fairlyclose
KVRAF
1977 posts since 4 Jul, 2019

Post Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:44 am

S1 has been very stable for me - ancient i5 running win10 - but if it crashed on my setup I would want to get rid of it for sure. I hate unreliable software

flori89
KVRist
195 posts since 19 Aug, 2021

Post Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:08 am

antic604 wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:30 am
Frantz wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:31 pm
I really don't want to go but since it crashes at least once a session, I am thinking about heading for the door. :(
Were you able to identify which plugins you're using when it happens? I don't recall any crashes with current S1 v5 on Win10 and I use VSTs mostly, because S1's instruments & effects are pretty "meh" for what I do.
I had it my MBP 2012 > constant crashes. Now on the M1 Mac > constant crashes in Rozetta and Native. I'm trying to find what it is, but where do you even start? I have a lot of plugins and there isn't any indication of what could be the culprit. This also happens on tracks where I literally only have few audio tracks, so it must be a plugin just by existing, not because it's actively used.

I also had one track that I quite literally moved from Ableton to S1 because I decided to go with S1 after the trial.
Ableton > everything fine
S1 > same plugins, crashes at least once / hr

It doesn't matter too much to me, I'm just an amateur, but I wouldn't do serious work like this. This is definitely a Studio One problem, even though they deny it. Even if it's a plugin causing this, the reason is that S1 doesn't play nicely, otherwise other DAWs would have the same problem.

This are the times where I really wish for proper sandboxing like Bitwig does. If that's not on the development list, it should be.

User avatar
Frantz
KVRAF
5782 posts since 18 Jul, 2008 from New York

Post Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:56 am

antic604 wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:30 am
Frantz wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:31 pm
I really don't want to go but since it crashes at least once a session, I am thinking about heading for the door. :(
Were you able to identify which plugins you're using when it happens? I don't recall any crashes with current S1 v5 on Win10 and I use VSTs mostly, because S1's instruments & effects are pretty "meh" for what I do.
I am on Win 10 running the current version of S1. One reproducible plugin crash is running two instances of BFD3 so I limit myself to one BFD3 per song. Also if I keep S1 running over night it tends to crash.

The thing that has really pushed it over the edge is I got a MIDI controller called a Striso board (https://www.striso.org/) which produces a ton of controller data any time you record. Playing this MIDI back causes approximately 1 crash per hour. I think if I delete everything except notes and velocity, it would be much better but its a shame to lose all of this detail.

Trensharo
KVRist
186 posts since 29 Dec, 2019

Post Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:23 pm

flori89 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:24 pm
Trensharo wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:20 pm
flori89 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:47 am
inkwarp wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:02 pm
machine_spirit wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:00 am
Gadget Fiend wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:28 pm
Rather, it only stands to reason that a guitar manufacturer (Fender) will tailor the features of Studio One to its target audience: technologically unsophisticated guitar players.
Not sure why anyone more focused on electronic music would choose it over the alternatives. Well, Live DOES look like an abandoned apartment complex and Bitwig like a Halloween theme for Live...
I am "only focused on" electronic music. Studio One is ideal for mixing and mastering ( and soundtrack work).
Ableton is great for generating ideas but not so good for those tasks. These are more than enough for the music that I make.
Same. Here Timo is using S1 for making Hip Hop Beats, he is literally writing No. 1 Hip-Hop beats in S1 in Germany. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ13ouGkweo

It's a DAW, a tool. They pretty much do 90% the same, apart from session view that things that Ableton can do but S1 not is maybe 10% and vice versa.
You don't need much for hip hop. You can do that in pro tools.
You can pretty much do any type of music in any DAW, that’s the whole point. As for EDM, every DAW can make a 4/4 kick pattern in some capacity.
Yes. But certain genres are heavier on things like sound design, which does create situations where it isn't worth using some DAWs to produce them - because you're going to be doing everything on hard mode, which waste time and effort. Time is money.

You can EASILY use Pro Tools for Hip Hop. Hell, you can do that in Maschine or MPC Software. Those are sample-heavy genres, and this is why it's easy to produce it regardless of DAW.

For certain electronic music genres, this becomes less and less optimal and at that point it is worth going over to a DAW that has tooling more suitable for the production of that type of music. This is where DAWs like Ableton Live, Bitwig Studio, and FL Studio start looking far more attractive.

Now, for Mixing Hip Hop, I'd definitely choose Pro Tools over anything else (given the option). The Audio Engine in Pro Tools is as close to perfect as you will find on planet earth. No snake oil, there. Nothing is better, and whatever you do in Pro Tools, you can feel pretty confident that it will be faithfully rendered into the audio Pro Tools exports (no bad tails on fades, etc. like Cubase and Logic Pro, etc.). That is not the case for a lot of DAWs (though the extent to which that bothers each user can vary, and some people may not GAF at all).

I get your point. I just think your example is weak in terms of actually showcasing anything, because you chose one of the most basic genres to do so. Not that I'm trying to argue that Studio One is inoptimal for the production of any genre of music. I just don't see a point in showing someone producing Hip Hop in Studio One, when you can easily do this in ancient DAW revisions from a decade before Studio One even existed...

As fast as this acquisition is concerned. Why does anyone care? The DAW market is oversaturated, and it's not like you are at a loss for choices - even if the worst theoretical scenario ends up coming true.

I'm not beholden to any specific corporation, and I certainly don't' have any emotional affinity towards any software product (and, frankly, find that creepy AF). I don't even understand why anyone would care that much, unless they've invested [tens of] thousand in PreSonus hardware (which would be the last thing to go, anyways). I DO have an emotional affinity and loyalty to my bank account!

Studio One could stop existing tomorrow. I literally wouldn't even think twice about it, if I'd even bother to complete the first thought.

This is why I maintain proficiency in at least 2 DAWs, though. It lets me not care about this stuff.
I just do my job and if this happens I will react accordingly. I've already planned ahead, and I would lose almost nothing in terms of productivity in such a scenario.

User avatar
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
12783 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:07 pm

Frantz wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:31 pm
I really don't want to go but since it crashes at least once a session, I am thinking about heading for the door. :(
Mine crashes a couple of times a week but only when I am closing a project or, more rarely, when I am opening one. It hasn't crashed when I've actually been working since the first week I had it. Not even once. And I've finally worked out what makes it crash - it seems to be if you hit CTRL+S to save and then CTRL+W to close before it's finished saving. If you just hit CTRL+W and "Yes" (or "No") when it prompts you to save before closing, it's OK. So that's a crash I can avoid from now on.
Trensharo wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:23 pm
Yes. But certain genres are heavier on things like sound design, which does create situations where it isn't worth using some DAWs to produce them - because you're going to be doing everything on hard mode, which waste time and effort. Time is money.
I have no idea what you are talking about here. You can't do any music with having some sounds, so sound design matters for anything you do, whether you are doing sound design so you can sound as close to something else as you possibly can, copying sounds that are de rigeur for your chosen pidgeon hole (dance music genre) or trying to do something creative of your own.
For certain electronic music genres, this becomes less and less optimal and at that point it is worth going over to a DAW that has tooling more suitable for the production of that type of music. This is where DAWs like Ableton Live, Bitwig Studio, and FL Studio start looking far more attractive.
This is completely wrong. You can make EDM (because "electronic music" can mean anything, what you're talking about is very specifically dance music) just as well in Cubase as you can in Live or any other host application, probably better because Live's unique features are much more about performance (the clue is in the product's name) than about studio-style production. You might use the clip launcher/session view or whatever it's called to make an arrangement in Live in real time, where in Cubase you would create your pattern-sized clips and simply duplicate them along the timeline in whatever arrangement you choose. Both achieve the exact same result, it's just that one is more oriented towards real-time, the other is not.
The Audio Engine in Pro Tools is as close to perfect as you will find on planet earth. No snake oil, there. Nothing is better, and whatever you do in Pro Tools, you can feel pretty confident that it will be faithfully rendered into the audio Pro Tools exports (no bad tails on fades, etc. like Cubase and Logic Pro, etc.).
I have never experienced anything even remotely like that in any host I have used. Fruityloops, Orion, Bitwig, Cubase and Studio One all render out audio that is a perfect replication of what you hear as you work. In fact, I can't imagine how it would be otherwise, given that, AFAIK, they all use the same render engine for both tasks so they'd have to produce identical results.
NOVAkILL : Zenbook Duo, Core i7, 16GB RAM, Win10(64), Evo8 | Studio One | JP6K, Union, Hexeract, bx_oberhausen, Odyssey, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, Invader, Concept, GR-8, Thorn, Equator, Olga, VG Iron | Uno Pro, Uno, Rocket.

fairlyclose
KVRAF
1977 posts since 4 Jul, 2019

Post Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:54 pm

Whilst I want to sell my Studio One license that isnt because it is not a good DAW - as BONES and many others point out, most all the DAWS are great and it really just depends on how the design suits you. But having Reaper, and Bitwig (and FL) as well, S1 is the one that has to go. (FL would go too if I could sell it)
Reaper covers audio editing better than S1 - Reaper being more flexible for setting up editing with keystrokes and actions. But I like S1 automation better than Reapers although Gatekeeper has helped me get around Reapers limitations. Bitwig is not good for audio editing but better again than both for automation and generative music. Even here tho, there are now sufficient interesting generative midi VSTs that any DAW can offer more possibilities than a lifetime cold explore. Again it is personal preferences for workflow and individual specifics that determine the utility.
DAWs are at the stage where you cant justify claims that "DAW X is shit" as they are all good. Most one can do is claim that "DAW X doesnt suit me"
In matters of taste there can be no disagreement

Fraggle
KVRist
108 posts since 29 May, 2013 from Durham

Post Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:51 am

Left 1 year ago
never regretted it

It crashed ridiculously often - I troubleshooted it for years, and it wasn't buggy Plug ins.
Also between 2006 and 2010 I found Max for live stuff in Ableton was ridiculously unstable, so it has not just been Studio One that has been like that.

NO. It wasn't my set up, I checked those things too.

Conclusion - if something doesn't work for you , stop using it
Zen

Serhii Kot
KVRist
131 posts since 19 May, 2017

Post Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:09 am

Fraggle wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:51 am
Left 1 year ago
never regretted it

It crashed ridiculously often - I troubleshooted it for years, and it wasn't buggy Plug ins.
Also between 2006 and 2010 I found Max for live stuff in Ableton was ridiculously unstable, so it has not just been Studio One that has been like that.

NO. It wasn't my set up, I checked those things too.

Conclusion - if something doesn't work for you , stop using it
And what is your main DAW now?

wuworld
KVRist

Topic Starter

193 posts since 7 Nov, 2009 from DC

Post Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:33 am

Trensharo wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:23 pm
flori89 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:24 pm
Trensharo wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:20 pm
flori89 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:47 am
inkwarp wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:02 pm
machine_spirit wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:00 am

Not sure why anyone more focused on electronic music would choose it over the alternatives. Well, Live DOES look like an abandoned apartment complex and Bitwig like a Halloween theme for Live...
I am "only focused on" electronic music. Studio One is ideal for mixing and mastering ( and soundtrack work).
Ableton is great for generating ideas but not so good for those tasks. These are more than enough for the music that I make.
Same. Here Timo is using S1 for making Hip Hop Beats, he is literally writing No. 1 Hip-Hop beats in S1 in Germany. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ13ouGkweo

It's a DAW, a tool. They pretty much do 90% the same, apart from session view that things that Ableton can do but S1 not is maybe 10% and vice versa.
You don't need much for hip hop. You can do that in pro tools.
You can pretty much do any type of music in any DAW, that’s the whole point. As for EDM, every DAW can make a 4/4 kick pattern in some capacity.
Yes. But certain genres are heavier on things like sound design, which does create situations where it isn't worth using some DAWs to produce them - because you're going to be doing everything on hard mode, which waste time and effort. Time is money.

You can EASILY use Pro Tools for Hip Hop. Hell, you can do that in Maschine or MPC Software. Those are sample-heavy genres, and this is why it's easy to produce it regardless of DAW.

For certain electronic music genres, this becomes less and less optimal and at that point it is worth going over to a DAW that has tooling more suitable for the production of that type of music. This is where DAWs like Ableton Live, Bitwig Studio, and FL Studio start looking far more attractive.

Now, for Mixing Hip Hop, I'd definitely choose Pro Tools over anything else (given the option). The Audio Engine in Pro Tools is as close to perfect as you will find on planet earth. No snake oil, there. Nothing is better, and whatever you do in Pro Tools, you can feel pretty confident that it will be faithfully rendered into the audio Pro Tools exports (no bad tails on fades, etc. like Cubase and Logic Pro, etc.). That is not the case for a lot of DAWs (though the extent to which that bothers each user can vary, and some people may not GAF at all).

I get your point. I just think your example is weak in terms of actually showcasing anything, because you chose one of the most basic genres to do so. Not that I'm trying to argue that Studio One is inoptimal for the production of any genre of music. I just don't see a point in showing someone producing Hip Hop in Studio One, when you can easily do this in ancient DAW revisions from a decade before Studio One even existed...

As fast as this acquisition is concerned. Why does anyone care? The DAW market is oversaturated, and it's not like you are at a loss for choices - even if the worst theoretical scenario ends up coming true.

I'm not beholden to any specific corporation, and I certainly don't' have any emotional affinity towards any software product (and, frankly, find that creepy AF). I don't even understand why anyone would care that much, unless they've invested [tens of] thousand in PreSonus hardware (which would be the last thing to go, anyways). I DO have an emotional affinity and loyalty to my bank account!

Studio One could stop existing tomorrow. I literally wouldn't even think twice about it, if I'd even bother to complete the first thought.

This is why I maintain proficiency in at least 2 DAWs, though. It lets me not care about this stuff.
I just do my job and if this happens I will react accordingly. I've already planned ahead, and I would lose almost nothing in terms of productivity in such a scenario.
Huh?

Dark Lights
Banned
194 posts since 25 Apr, 2021

Post Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:58 am

Staying until FL still has its pattern nature. Once they move to a more traditional way, the switch is inevitable.

User avatar
inkwarp
KVRian
888 posts since 16 Jan, 2012 from UK

Post Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:19 am

wuworld wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:33 am
Trensharo wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:23 pm
flori89 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:24 pm
Trensharo wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:20 pm
flori89 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:47 am
inkwarp wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:02 pm

I am "only focused on" electronic music. Studio One is ideal for mixing and mastering ( and soundtrack work).
Ableton is great for generating ideas but not so good for those tasks. These are more than enough for the music that I make.
Same. Here Timo is using S1 for making Hip Hop Beats, he is literally writing No. 1 Hip-Hop beats in S1 in Germany. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ13ouGkweo

It's a DAW, a tool. They pretty much do 90% the same, apart from session view that things that Ableton can do but S1 not is maybe 10% and vice versa.
You don't need much for hip hop. You can do that in pro tools.
You can pretty much do any type of music in any DAW, that’s the whole point. As for EDM, every DAW can make a 4/4 kick pattern in some capacity.
Yes. But certain genres are heavier on things like sound design, which does create situations where it isn't worth using some DAWs to produce them - because you're going to be doing everything on hard mode, which waste time and effort. Time is money.

You can EASILY use Pro Tools for Hip Hop. Hell, you can do that in Maschine or MPC Software. Those are sample-heavy genres, and this is why it's easy to produce it regardless of DAW.

For certain electronic music genres, this becomes less and less optimal and at that point it is worth going over to a DAW that has tooling more suitable for the production of that type of music. This is where DAWs like Ableton Live, Bitwig Studio, and FL Studio start looking far more attractive.

Now, for Mixing Hip Hop, I'd definitely choose Pro Tools over anything else (given the option). The Audio Engine in Pro Tools is as close to perfect as you will find on planet earth. No snake oil, there. Nothing is better, and whatever you do in Pro Tools, you can feel pretty confident that it will be faithfully rendered into the audio Pro Tools exports (no bad tails on fades, etc. like Cubase and Logic Pro, etc.). That is not the case for a lot of DAWs (though the extent to which that bothers each user can vary, and some people may not GAF at all).

I get your point. I just think your example is weak in terms of actually showcasing anything, because you chose one of the most basic genres to do so. Not that I'm trying to argue that Studio One is inoptimal for the production of any genre of music. I just don't see a point in showing someone producing Hip Hop in Studio One, when you can easily do this in ancient DAW revisions from a decade before Studio One even existed...

As fast as this acquisition is concerned. Why does anyone care? The DAW market is oversaturated, and it's not like you are at a loss for choices - even if the worst theoretical scenario ends up coming true.

I'm not beholden to any specific corporation, and I certainly don't' have any emotional affinity towards any software product (and, frankly, find that creepy AF). I don't even understand why anyone would care that much, unless they've invested [tens of] thousand in PreSonus hardware (which would be the last thing to go, anyways). I DO have an emotional affinity and loyalty to my bank account!

Studio One could stop existing tomorrow. I literally wouldn't even think twice about it, if I'd even bother to complete the first thought.

This is why I maintain proficiency in at least 2 DAWs, though. It lets me not care about this stuff.
I just do my job and if this happens I will react accordingly. I've already planned ahead, and I would lose almost nothing in terms of productivity in such a scenario.
Huh?
lol.
My sentiments exactly.
Someone's fallen out of their pram...

Fraggle
KVRist
108 posts since 29 May, 2013 from Durham

Post Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:09 am

Frantz wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:31 pm
I really don't want to go but since it crashes at least once a session, I am thinking about heading for the door. :(
Yes - that was why I left - I persevered for 2 years , but stability is the most important factor in a DAW , in any software.
Zen

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”