Which DAW GIANTS have folded and not recovered ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

lessera wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:52 am On the topic of Reason, I have a feeling that if this topic is posted again in a couple of years... :scared:
I tend to agree with this. In the beginning, they were a true innovator, they refused to be limited by the industry standard API games that Steinberg controls.

Then business types took over from the creative visionaries, and they started making "data driven decisions" to "increase revenue, monthly active users, etc..." by implementing things users were demanding, like VST support. At which point they were like the 30th best VST host on the market, and nobody cared. I really doubt their business is growing at this point, and they are only a small market share loss away from "making a data driven decision" to drop the DAW completely and focus on the VST plugin + make it subscription only, because "the numbers" say that is the most profitable course of action.

Steve Bolivar wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:45 am Opcode Systems and their DAW Studio Vision
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opcode_Systems
In the last millennium we had four big ones. Vision is the one assassinated by Gibson. The other three are Logic, Digital Performer and Cubase. All three strong and alive… Cakewalk was rescued in the last minute from being assassinated as well…

Can you believe there is only ~ three years between the release of these two:

:o :o :o

So yeah, there's that...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

SAW studio? :D
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Nope, the final version of the afore-mentioned Opcode Vision ("VisionDSP 4.1"), which may in hindsight put its demise in a different light.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Logic Pro for PC :angry:
And lets not forget the mysterious viewtopic.php?t=114170 :hihi:

Winstontaneous wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:39 am Not mega-huge, but: AudioMulch was remarkably innovative and pretty influential in its time, then has all but faded away without a 64-bit version.
Well , it took almost a decade for 2.0 to be released .
And now we're 13+ years since 2.0 , wow time flies !
I believe the 64 b. version will come sooner or later .
Latest news from ross was in 2019 that the beta was going to be released for pc and mac .
I assume apple's move to arm made messed that up .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

matrixo9 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:46 am
cryophonik wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:42 am Not as well known as the current big DAWs, but Cakewalk’s Project5 was pretty popular before Cakewalk discontinued it back in 2009 :( They also had a less well known basic DAW called Kinetic that they ditched around the same time, IIRC
I guess then you could put Steinberg's attempt at garageband sequel in that bracket .

I'm just really interested in this because a lot of people see the end of the road for reason
But I think someone would grab it like they did with acid or cakewalk if that were to happen
That's true, somebody probably would and hopefully they'd put the features in it people have been asking for for over a decade.

I did actually think today that Reason looks like it's on a decline a bit. Still lots of die hard fans but after this really buggy Reason 12 release and the failing to deliver on their roadmap and still over a month after their October schedule people are still waiting for these new Smart Browser and Combinator buttons etc and the even earlier 12 release bugs from September haven't been fixed. Think a lot of people are losing patience with Reason Studio's as a company but we'll see.

Muzys and Energy XT. And at one point Tracktion was taken off the market by Mackie.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:43 pm Muzys and Energy XT. And at one point Tracktion was taken off the market by Mackie.
Wasnt muzys a free computer music thing?

Energy xt is still for sale

https://www.energy-xt.com/

EnergyXT is 32-bit only

matrixo9 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:27 pm Wasnt muzys a free computer music thing?
There was a free limited version with Computer Music, but there was also a commercial version of Muzys. IIRC it was sold to someone then it disappeared

cryophonik wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:42 am
mumpcake wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:25 am
cryophonik wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:42 am Not as well known as the current big DAWs, but Cakewalk’s Project5 was pretty popular before Cakewalk discontinued it back in 2009 :( They also had a less well known basic DAW called Kinetic that they ditched around the same time, IIRC
Kinetic would make a great app for tablets. It was a quick tool for making tight grooves. Probably a stretch to call it a DAW though.
True, as I recall it wasn’t for recording audio, but they did eventually add VST support just before CW abandoned it, right? I bought it when they offered it to Sonar owners for something ridiculous like $10 and thought it was cool for sketching out ideas, but never really ended up using it. Yeah, it would be cool to have on a tablet!
I actually created a track using Kinetic exclusively.
https://www.soundclick.com/music/songIn ... ID=1570464

I don't think I would do that again though. It's kind of a pain to arrange things that way.
Even if the piano player can't play, keep the party going.
http://www.soundclick.com/mumpcake
https://mumpfucious.wordpress.com/

Bars & Pipes

:-(
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

v1o wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:43 pm Muzys and Energy XT. And at one point Tracktion was taken off the market by Mackie.
Myzys is now essentially Mulab ( same coder )
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”