If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Last edited by Synthack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.... ...

Synthack wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:53 am Not sure where to ask this.
Most production technique discussion are in the Sound Design section.

Firstly know your synth. The basic bass synth sound reminds me of the synth in Rush - Tom Sawyer (google that) which originally was made on an Oberheim OB-X.
Here's a random yt dude recreating that patch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuOU9CyWIh0

Then there's layering. Further down the track I definitely hear a real bass guitar playing the same thing, but the base player occasionally slaps as well. Dude can't help himself.

And I hear in this track a lot attention went into tiny little details that can be hard to hear.
So if you want to recreate this, it takes time. A lot of time. And possibly trial & error.

Also I think a crisp sound extending this deep is not possible when mastered to single-digit dB figures. First make it sound really good, worry about loudness later.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

The right kick sample will certainly get you half way there. Loop a section where the kick is in isolation and A/B reference with your sample library until you find something in the ball park.

Hmm, think i hear a TyrellN6 sound in there.
Its chorus is one of the better ones to get fat sound.

Last edited by Synthack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.... ...

Synthack wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:21 pm
I don't think it's just the kick.

Definitely a good start though!
Indeed, and I didn't say it was just the kick :) But if we're talking punchy low end, the right kick is vital, especially in a track like this where you have many overlapping elements. The kick needs to be the foundation that reinforces the bass line(s) :)

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”