Improvements!

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So here is a crazy idea that is probably never going to happen: a u-he implementation of a Berna 3 like 1950s electronic music studio environment. :idea: The simplicity and modularity is so cool! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNuVitn4TGA

kodnin wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:23 pm So here is a crazy idea that is probably never going to happen: a u-he implementation of a Berna 3 like 1950s electronic music studio environment. :idea: The simplicity and modularity is so cool!
If you want that done, perhaps contact AudioThing. They're been making a series of plugins modeled on such devices (Things Motor, Wires, Gong).

Urs wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:53 pm Well, you know, the process of deliberations between those different options will be draining and mind boggling. Much like the inner fight of adding or not adding a knob to Hive. I don't think there's much else that keeps me awake at night as much as the thought process of balancing the feature set in ways as optimal as I could possibly figure it out.
Coming from a guy with mild cognitive issues, thank you for considering this.

I find the majority of plugins I use on a regular basis difficult to understand. Loads of functionality crammed into tiny spaces, difficult to read typeface, weird color schemes that serve no functional purpose, and visual designs that are "busy" or fail to establish a quick, glanceable hierarchy. When the knob design adds complexity (color, texture, shading, etc) and makes it difficult to quickly discern information...ugh.

Just my two cents :)

After a long time I was demoing Hive again, checking out the changes.
It looks nice now, colorful with the color-coded effects.

When comparing it to Retrologue 2, I noticed that the ensemble effect in R2 sounds a lot better than in Hive, more similar to the old machines whereas in Hive it sounds pretty similar to the regular chorus. It seems to have to do with the shimmer controls in R2. Maybe worth improving in Hive...

I also noticed that while the synth seems to recognize which GUI resolutions fit onto my screen (except for the two smallest ones, all others are grayed out in my case), which is cool, the synth always launches at 100%, which is among the grayed out ones, because it is bigger than my monitor.

But all in all it is a good synth now.

Btw, is it not possible to set the pulse width independently for main and sub oscillators?

e-crooner wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:03 pm I also noticed that while the synth seems to recognize which GUI resolutions fit onto my screen (except for the two smallest ones, all others are grayed out in my case), which is cool, the synth always launches at 100%, which is among the grayed out ones, because it is bigger than my monitor.
Then just change it in the preferences section. :wink:
That QA guy from planet u-he.

e-crooner wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:03 pm Btw, is it not possible to set the pulse width independently for main and sub oscillators?
No, that's part of the "less is more" approach where the sub oscillators are almost full oscillators, with the exception of secondary parameters such as pulse width or wavetable position being inherited from the main osc.

tasmaniandevil wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:34 am
e-crooner wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:03 pm I also noticed that while the synth seems to recognize which GUI resolutions fit onto my screen (except for the two smallest ones, all others are grayed out in my case), which is cool, the synth always launches at 100%, which is among the grayed out ones, because it is bigger than my monitor.
Then just change it in the preferences section. :wink:
Well, I just thought it makes no sense to select a default resolution the synth knows can't be displayed ;)

Urs wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:15 am
e-crooner wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:03 pm Btw, is it not possible to set the pulse width independently for main and sub oscillators?
No, that's part of the "less is more" approach where the sub oscillators are almost full oscillators, with the exception of secondary parameters such as pulse width or wavetable position being inherited from the main osc.
I see.
They are not really sub oscillators to begin with. Sub refers to the osc playing 1 or 2 octaves below the main osc, but in Hive the tune knob goes from -2 thru +2 octaves, with 12 o'clock being the same frequency as the main osc.
They are more like slave or secondary oscillators.

Just because sub oscillators in the past only played an octave or two below because they used a frequency divider, doesn't mean software implementation has to work in the same way or obey the same rules. :)

kodnin wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:55 am This must have been addressed already, but a standalone FX chain plugin extracted from Repro. :love:
Yes this please! I came here just to see if this had been requested or not! I'd pay for it as a separate plugin (or set of plugins) TBH. I mean if it were free with RePro that would be great, but if it needs to be a separate purchase to mitigate the development costs then fine!

Swiss company Braingines have been workin on using GPUs for VSTs. Now they have released beta versions. For now exclusively for Windows PC, nVidea GPU, VST format.

Is this something that has potential for future U-He products?

https://earlyaccess.gpu.audio/

Probably you are thinking about laptops, but on the desktop current 8+ core machines have an astonishing amount of CPU power.

rafa1981 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:13 pm Probably you are thinking about laptops, but on the desktop current 8+ core machines have an astonishing amount of CPU power.
Congratulations to you that you are happy with current CPU power.
It depends what you do and how you do it.
I personally am not at all impressed when I compare current benchmarks to my 10 year old computer.
Sure, you can make it work with todays computers, why wouldn't you?
But if you can have more processing power for music production by utilizing unused GPUs, I would be very happy about it.
I don't know wether it is possible and makes sense economically for the developer.
It could be worth taking a look into that.

There can be reasons not to develop synth and audio plugins with GPU support.
But I don't agree with the idea that we already have an abundance of CPU power. My computer is old, looking to upgrade. However, I have been researching how many instances of plugins you can use in various current Macs. It's more than what I got, of course. But it is far from abundant.
Also, more processing power means potential for more demanding softsynths and plugins. Audio rate modulation and tape saturation are examples.

I don't now about Mac, but a humble Ryzen 5800x is very hard to max out in practice on average usages, at 96KHz SR. It is probably me doing simple stuff on Win-Reaper. Who knows. I moved from a quad-core from 2010 and the difference is brutal.

I guess that you are aware that GPUs are not general purpose computing units but specialized ones, so running depending which type of algorithms on them is a big pesimization. Otherwise CPUs wouldn't exist. From U-he specially I don't think they have FFT/convolution intensive stuff so using GPUS for their plugins may make non sense.
Last edited by rafa1981 on Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rafa1981 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:31 pm I don't now about Mac, but a humble Ryzen 5800x is very hard to max out in practice on average usages, at 96KHz SR. It is probably me doing simple stuff on Win-Reaper. Who knows. I moved from a quad-core from 2010 and the difference is brutal.

I guess that you are aware that GPUs are not general purpose computing units but specialized ones, so running depending which type of algorithms on them is a big pesimization. Otherwise CPUs wouldn't exist. From U-he specially I don't think they have FFT/convolution intensive stuff so using GPS for their plugins may make non sense.
I have no idea which types of plugins can work on GPUs. That swiss company has made a reverb. So, apparently reverb is one of those.
i put the link here. Maybe Urs has already looked into it in the past or he does now, or he doesn't. The link is there.

I'd rather see them GPU cores work for me than not. ;)

Return to “u-he”