About CLAP

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Music Engineer wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:27 pmsadly, the juce people have already more or less rejected supporting lv2
That's not true: https://github.com/juce-framework/JUCE/ ... -914228048

No reason that after this they couldn't also add CLAP, we'll see.

I have more questions than answers at this point. There have been almost no details whatsoever given about this "new format". I'm not wanting to be negative in any way, but I do want to know how it goes about solving the problems inherent in cross platform compilation, as mentioned mentioned here:

https://gist.github.com/abique/4c1b9b40 ... 2a7c760db4

I know you were involved, @baconpaul, amongst others. Please expound on this.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

It there are bounties for open source, it would be nice to try to get someone that has experience adding formats on JUCE to make an external port before the official JUCE team does. If I were a 20-ager I'd probably give it a try myself.

As soon as there is a branch of JUCE with Clap and Reaper gets on board my humble MixMaxtrix plugin will be dropping VST3 binaries.

As a matter of fact I'm not providing LV2 binaries because MixMaxtrix has so many parameters that the TTL files are extremely big.

Also, LV2 has been an open format that has never caught on outside of Linux. What will CLAP bring to the table that improves upon this?

Also, what buy-in has there been (if any) from the JUCE team?

Very curious.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Sounds like a few companies have got in bed together and are planning a take over... :o

My guess is, my host will never get the clap :hihi:

AnX wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:45 pm My guess is, my host will never get the clap :hihi:
Since I use Bitwig, my host will!! :hihi:

DRMR wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:31 pm
Music Engineer wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:27 pmsadly, the juce people have already more or less rejected supporting lv2
That's not true: https://github.com/juce-framework/JUCE/ ... -914228048

No reason that after this they couldn't also add CLAP, we'll see.
wow, that's great news! they apparently have changed their mind! nice. so many good news today! :hyper: so i can stay on the mainline and don't need to switch to the 3rd party fork. yes, let's hope for clap support, too
My website: rs-met.com, My presences on: YouTube, GitHub, Facebook

even more important could be to get roli on board and also oli larkin from iplug. many small to mid-sized plugin vendors use juce (me included)
ROLI don't own JUCE anymore. You'd need to look to PACE who've owned it for the past 18 months or so.

Unless this new format provides clear developmental improvements, other than just being Open Source, I don't see any chance of adoption by groups that actually matter.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
This is awesome! I'm definitely planning to have first-class CLAP support in our Meadowlark DAW project! :D

I'll be sending you an email soon ;)

Meadolark DAW GitHub repo: https://github.com/MeadowlarkDAW/Meadowlark (https://github.com/MeadowlarkDAW/Meadowlark)

Developers want to write once and be able to compile for all architectures, OSes, etc. JUCE is the defacto standard and over all king in this realm. Without JUCE buy-in, a new format will just muddy up the waters for development and be another thing that users will think they want developers to support, and developers will hate it for that reason. If this format doesn't solve more than the Steinberg licensing problem, it's not likely to help anyone. For an open source format, it is incredibly closed to outside view. The Github has no information published.

Brilliant 👏

Finally :) Backed by u-he and Bitwig it already can get some traction and those seem also quite the right devs to talk to about changes or improvements, unlike the usual suspects. Let's see who jumps on in a forseeable time and how it evolves.

I just hope this new format will help, not hinder Linux audio.....

AngusHewlett wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:03 pm
even more important could be to get roli on board and also oli larkin from iplug. many small to mid-sized plugin vendors use juce (me included)
ROLI don't own JUCE anymore. You'd need to look to PACE who've owned it for the past 18 months or so.
And IMO, PACE is the worst and the poster child of corporate greed and corruption.
That kills it. (JUCE that is. Hopefully they won't latch on to CLAP.)
audiojunkie wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:25 pm I just hope this new format will help, not hinder Linux audio.....
Yep. I'm actually hopeful this will eventually make Linux the dominate OS for music.

Return to “u-he”