About CLAP

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:14 pm All in due time, since as Urs said, the spec is not yet ABI stable.

At any rate, you can expect something that is not a hundreds of files monstrosity that VST3SDK is.
OK. Cool. I'll go with that. I understand you don't want to start without being sure you won't have to break the ABI. Just tell me how it will improve development on linux.....aside from the fact that it does't require hundreds of files. ;-)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

abique and/or Urs are more qualified to answer that one. I'm Windows4life. :P

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:46 pm abique and/or Urs are more qualified to answer that one. I'm Windows4life. :P
What a shame! You'd be an ideal fit for Linux! :wink:
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Nah not really a shame. Works for me (TM) :P

DRMR wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:12 pm Other than polyphonic automation and host-managed multi-threading, what does CLAP offer over existing liberally licensed, cross-platform and extendible formats like LV2?
I don't know much about LV2. And I looked at it very carefully, twice or thrice. Maybe that is the point.

(anyhow, there are very specific answers to this question that I'm not comfortable to post - firstly because I think that LV2 is absolutely a viable option which I highly regard, secondly because I wasn't the one who ported our plug-ins to LV2 and then decided to abandon the idea - which I think may have been one of the contributing factors that brought CLAP into existence.)

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:52 pm Nah not really a shame. Works for me (TM) :P
:hihi: :D :tu:

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:29 pm Yeah true, FL is also a good candidate for adoption, since they already wrap any non-FL plugin formats anyways.
Same with DP, MAS was advanced enough back in the day to where it still beats VST when people use the native format like the VEP plug in.

It's a huge mistake not to develop MIDI plug in capabilities into CLAP, at least MIDI out from instruments, it's always been the most annoying thing as an end user about AU.

What I'm wondering is why a completely new format (again) and not build upon/extend LV2, since it already seems to have gained at least a little bit more poularity lately (support in Reaper, upcoming in JUCE )?

rafa1981 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:43 pm It there are bounties for open source, it would be nice to try to get someone that has experience adding formats on JUCE to make an external port before the official JUCE team does.
This has happened. Several JUCE based open source synthesizer plug-ins have been ported to CLAP, almost literally overnite (I have to check chat protocols, but I do think I went to bed with one ported and woke up to yet another ported). I don't know how "ready for public" that knowledge is, and if the people behind this plan any releases. I just know it works, and that's all that matters to me at this moment.

The JUCE team itself expressed no apparent desire to deal with CLAP, but as it has been so easy to get basic support going, we're confident there'll be some header-only drop in available one day or another. Maybe we'll add one to the CLAP helper library.

The iPlug2 team on the other hand is very supportive to the cause.

Urs wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:54 pm
DRMR wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:12 pm Other than polyphonic automation and host-managed multi-threading, what does CLAP offer over existing liberally licensed, cross-platform and extendible formats like LV2?
I don't know much about LV2. And I looked at it very carefully, twice or thrice. Maybe that is the point.

(anyhow, there are very specific answers to this question that I'm not comfortable to post - firstly because I think that LV2 is absolutely a viable option which I highly regard, secondly because I wasn't the one who ported our plug-ins to LV2 and then decided to abandon the idea - which I think may have been one of the contributing factors that brought CLAP into existence.)
Interesting! So......... Uhe's development team's aborted attempt at porting to LV2 was a contributing factor in bringing about the existance of CLAP. The format name also seems to indicate that it is much easier than LV2. 8)

machinesworking wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:58 pmIt's a huge mistake not to develop MIDI plug in capabilities into CLAP, at least MIDI out from instruments, it's always been the most annoying thing as an end user about AU.
CLAP plug-ins can offer any number of MIDI input or output ports. They can process MIDI even if they don't process any audio at all.

(this is so obvious to me, I simply forgot to mention it)

And IMO, PACE is the worst and the poster child of corporate greed and corruption.
That kills it. (JUCE that is. Hopefully they won't latch on to CLAP.)
I'm no fan either, but the JUCE devs who I'm friends with are certainly happier there than in the previous place. And both JUCE and its dev team seem to be well looked after. Which is nice to see.

Just as Steinberg makes it's first attempt to kill VST2, a new plugin protocol arrives. :lol:

I really like the fast plug-in scanning feature. I hope this pushes Steinberg to innovate faster with VST3/4.
If you plan on purchasing your first Universal Audio hardware, you can get a free additional plugin. Just send a PM.

wangeroge wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:38 pm Just as Steinberg makes it's first attempt to kill VST2, a new plugin protocol arrives. :lol:
Maybe not a coincidence...

zvenx wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:50 pm I am of course curious where this will end up.

I am not a developer, but as an end user married till death to Cubendo (for now anyway) and who beta tests for quite a few companies, my first second and third thoughts are: "Great, just what the world needs yet another plugin format or DAW".
I would be shocked if Steinberg, Logic or ProTools would ever adopt it.

Maybe years from now I will be a convert.
Time will tell.
rsp
Probably never for these three DAWs. Live will take their sweet time, Studio One would probably be willing if there was enough adoption.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

Return to “u-he”