Is Omnisphere 2 still worth it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dark and Light Omnisphere Explorer - Omnisphere 2 Presets

agree,it's marketing,but we as users r not interested how much money developer make,but how their product will work for each of us,why to bet on it when can buy few top notch for less,especially since Vital was released as freeware not sure how many designers prefer to spend money instead of time creating experimental sounds ...
My suggestion is they targeting hollywood tv composers...
As designer freelancer myself it is absolutely pointless to me to spend such amount of money,just to discover that i can make same if not something better with few others.
I joke once that my car cost less - had old Golf i bought for 400 euro hahaha
Just saying...

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:16 pm I joke once that my car cost less - had old Golf i bought for 400 euro hahaha
Just saying...
But Omni won't break down on you like the Golf, you don't need to buy insurance, and the updates are free (until 3.0 arrives, whenever that might be). :)

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:16 pmMy suggestion is they targeting hollywood tv composers...
That's about 100 people, all of whom already own it :)

Media composers in general - sure. Most of them already have it too, mind.

I've increasingly thought it appeals to musicians though (as distinct from bedroom musicians - I mean the regularly gigging kind). The Sonic Extensions series seems to bear this out, an increased emphasis on live performance. Keyscape is incredibly popular with musos, I suspect it has introduced a lot to the Spectrasonics ecosystem.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Omnisphere isn't just a studio synth, it's built to be a performance synth (I wish other synths had SoundMatch and a Stack interface as easy as that).[1] It's incredibly popular in worship service which is a huge industry ($128 billion). Waves is trying to court that market segment.

If you're a gigging keyboardist it's a less expensive alternative to a keyboard workstation, and has way more patches. Keyscape is a no-brainer. For the hobbyist at home it's probably overkill, though it is capable of making sounds other synths can't simply because of the sound sources available (Tuvan Throat Singer's one of my favorites).

The FX are top-notch, Innerspace in particular. It's basically a twin convolution reverb you can mix between but they also supply a very large library of creative and useful IRs. Combine the FX with layers and you can get uniquely evolving sounds for days. Once you get the concept of the layering-style workflow it's pretty fast.

If you've seen the Sonic Extension videos you'll see most users are not sound designers. They are musicians who want a huge palette of usable sounds fast and the ability to tweak sounds in a musical way and Nexus isn't it. Spectrasonics kicked in two FX per Extension (in addition to the sound sources) for the sound designers who are definitely out there. Nothing else provides all of this with fewer hurdles. NI has been trying with Komplete instruments with custom UIs but the integration is nowhere near the level of Omnisphere's.

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvIyEwygFcs
2. https://www.waves.com/houses-of-worship

Omni is a big package.
if you want a smaller product, look at Unify from pluginguru.
It's about 80 Usd and if you buy some great libraries for unify, say 3 of them, it's an extra 50 + 90 + 50 , that is 80 + 190 =270 and it is still smaller than omnisphere if we count presets.
so you just think omni is expensive, but if you measure it per presets, you can agree it is not expensive.

I just really like the synth sound of Omnisphere, also the way it handles unison voicing. I have not been able to recreate that exact sound with other synths.. It just sounds great.. sample library aside.

this is an excellent summary and valuable insight. thank you @yellowmix.
yellowmix wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:11 pm Omnisphere isn't just a studio synth, it's built to be a performance synth (I wish other synths had SoundMatch and a Stack interface as easy as that).[1] It's incredibly popular in worship service which is a huge industry ($128 billion). Waves is trying to court that market segment.

If you're a gigging keyboardist it's a less expensive alternative to a keyboard workstation, and has way more patches. Keyscape is a no-brainer. For the hobbyist at home it's probably overkill, though it is capable of making sounds other synths can't simply because of the sound sources available (Tuvan Throat Singer's one of my favorites).

The FX are top-notch, Innerspace in particular. It's basically a twin convolution reverb you can mix between but they also supply a very large library of creative and useful IRs. Combine the FX with layers and you can get uniquely evolving sounds for days. Once you get the concept of the layering-style workflow it's pretty fast.

If you've seen the Sonic Extension videos you'll see most users are not sound designers. They are musicians who want a huge palette of usable sounds fast and the ability to tweak sounds in a musical way and Nexus isn't it. Spectrasonics kicked in two FX per Extension (in addition to the sound sources) for the sound designers who are definitely out there. Nothing else provides all of this with fewer hurdles. NI has been trying with Komplete instruments with custom UIs but the integration is nowhere near the level of Omnisphere's.

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvIyEwygFcs
2. https://www.waves.com/houses-of-worship

So is it settled finally?
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Two years later, still digging it. I remember thinking when v1 came out that it looks amazing but adding my own sample swould be necessary. I have only rarely added samples since i finally bought v2.. There really is a treasure in the library and the tools to manipulate it. i have years more fun ahead of me.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

jamcat wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:01 am So is it settled finally?
Finally!
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I have known Eric Persing since the Roland days--before Spectrasonics, Atmosphere, Omnisphere, and his other creations.

He has created a top-level electronic instrument that has stood the test of time and is used by many composers, both famous and unknown.

Is it expensive? Yes it is...but that it is relative. It costs a small fraction of the devices used to develop it, has an amazingly rich and varied library, and is fully programmable if you have the chops.

It is truly one-of-a-kind!

tony10000 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:53 pm I have known Eric Persing since the Roland days--before Spectrasonics, Atmosphere, Omnisphere, and his other creations.

He has created a top-level electronic instrument that has stood the test of time and is used by many composers, both famous and unknown.

Is it expensive? Yes it is...but that it is relative. It costs a small fraction of the devices used to develop it, has an amazingly rich and varied library, and is fully programmable if you have the chops.

It is truly one-of-a-kind!
Oh it really is good, it's deeper than first apparent too. I particularly like the effects in Omnisphere.

I have wavestate native, modwave native, pigments and Other fantastic VSTs but Omni is still awesome
Collector of VSTs

WilliamMenard wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:19 am In my opinion this is the most valuable plugin that I've ever tried. And Yes, still worth it. Always will be worth it
If anything, it's too cheap. At that price even amateurs can buy this secret weapon. Spectra should double, or even triple the price to keep the riffraf out and the profits up.

zerocrossing wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:38 pm
jamcat wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:01 am So is it settled finally?
Finally!
What did we decided?
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Return to “Instruments”