DrivenByMoss: Bitwig extension for many hardware controllers (version 23.2.1)

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Maschine

This doesn't work.
I am talking about this expression which is per-note

This expression works when the controller is used with the ROLI Seaboard script

Apheo wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:27 pm This doesn't work.
I am talking about this expression which is per-note

This expression works when the controller is used with the ROLI Seaboard script
I did some research on this but still do not fully understand this and how to solve it. Will see if I can get an MPE controller.

Is it possible to peak into other controller scripts? The ROLI Seaboard Rise and Grand can control this expression.

Hi, with flexi when i map parameter device, it doesn't match bitwig knobs:
Device set parmeter 1 = 1 st bitwig device knob
Device set parameter 2 = 3rd bitwig device knob
Device set parameter 3 = 4th bitwig device knob
etc.

mattaudio wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:06 pm Hi, with flexi when i map parameter device, it doesn't match bitwig knobs:
Device set parmeter 1 = 1 st bitwig device knob
Device set parameter 2 = 3rd bitwig device knob
Device set parameter 3 = 4th bitwig device knob
etc.
I cannot replicate this. Please check again your Generic Flexi mapping as well as the Bitwig device mapping you did test with.

You're right, it was a misconfiguration in the controller utility software, sorry about that, i should have double check.

Hey all,

There are a couple of endless encoders on my hardware synthesiser (Modal Cobalt8X) that send out MIDI values between 0 and 40 as opposed to 0-127, which means that when I'm mapping them to parameters I'm only getting access to a third of the values.

Is there anyway to address this in Flexi such as setting a value range / multiplier etc or is this something I'd need to write myself? Flexi allows me to get everything else I want without writing something myself, but this seems to be the only thing I'm missing.

Thanks
Marc

shaboogen wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:51 am Hey all,

There are a couple of endless encoders on my hardware synthesiser (Modal Cobalt8X) that send out MIDI values between 0 and 40 as opposed to 0-127, which means that when I'm mapping them to parameters I'm only getting access to a third of the values.

Is there anyway to address this in Flexi such as setting a value range / multiplier etc or is this something I'd need to write myself? Flexi allows me to get everything else I want without writing something myself, but this seems to be the only thing I'm missing.

Thanks
Marc
No, there are no math functions. But also if you could multiply it with e.g. 3, you could not reach all values.

Hi! Bitwig does not auto-detect Ableton Push after the installation acc. to the manual, and when adding the controller manually there's no Ableton in the Vendor list. What am I missing?

uxu5 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:30 pm Hi! Bitwig does not auto-detect Ableton Push after the installation acc. to the manual, and when adding the controller manually there's no Ableton in the Vendor list. What am I missing?
If it is not showing up in the list you placed the DrivenByMoss.extension in the wrong directory. Please check.

moss wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:04 pm I am not aware of such an issue. What is your OS? Are there any exceptions in the JavaScript console? What do you mean by "crash", does it get unresponsive?
Is there any specific plugin on the audio track?
Yes it gets unresponsive (leds are still lit, the command have effect on the daw, but the push state in not upgrading), sometimes if I wait a bit I can get the hand back on it, but most of the time I have to restart the push, or even unplug it (and it makes bitwig crash from time to time). And there is no plugin on the audio track generally.

I did not think about looking in the console, I will do it next time it happens and let you. My music production machine is still on 7, maybe I should consider an upgrade ^^

I am using the push extensively lastly for a project with a friend, and I have noticed some other strange/undesired behaviours. I don't know if you are aware about them, but here is what comes to my mind:
  • when deleting another device than the last one from a track, the push then consider the track as empty, and I need to select another track and come back to it to be able to see the devices on the track
  • in session view, pressing duplicate, then a clip, and releasing duplicate will duplicate the clip on the next slot (which is good) erasing the clip it contains if it was not empty (which is annoying, particularly because it can't be undone)
  • only the midi from channel 1 are displayed in the sequencers. it is fine most of the time because bitwig redirect by default all the input to chan 1, but I am using a mpe controller and can't modify what I played because I need 16 channels.
  • pressing track two times allows to select the return tracks. But the push gets unresponsive for few seconds every time when I do it (most often by mistake)
  • browsing the presets is slow even when preview is off (don't know why bitwig is still loading the preset, that is missing all the point of turning preview off haha)
  • selecting multi notes in sequencer could be easier by long pressing them in the same time instead of holding select
  • when pressing new clip, overdub should imo be turned off by default (to avoid editing the clip when we continue by mistake to play after the clip ends)
  • it would be great to be able to browse and add samples in session view
Anyway, most of those issues are very minor and are far from being deal breakers, and it is really awesome to be able to jam without the computer. I could not thank you enough to dedicate your time and energy to make it possible!

hi sir I found a strange thing that happend on the fire controller after updating to Bitwig 4.1.2. I added a 4th track with a vst and the colored lights that normally mark a scale all went white so all the pads were white when they should have had the root notes pink. I deleted the track restarted bitwig etc and it finally went back to normal.

Hello everyone, I'm trying to implement a certain function using a generic midi controller (the faderfox EC4). No luck for now. If anyone could help that would be amazing.

I would like to have the EC4 buttons midi trigger the insertion of certain devices on a track. So basically by pressing button X, device A would be instantly loaded on the current selected track, pressing button Y, device B would appear etc.

I've installed the DrivenByMoss files, loaded the EC4 using Generic Flexi, and came short of finding a way to implement that.

I've also came across the insertBitwigDevice () function in the API documentation. So it must be possible somehow, but I'm not sure where to start. I could write a custom script, but any guidance as to where I could get hold of starting script file to edit from would help.
And obviously if it's possible with the Generic Flexi, even better. Thank you

banermattou wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:57 pm Yes it gets unresponsive (leds are still lit, the command have effect on the daw, but the push state in not upgrading), sometimes if I wait a bit I can get the hand back on it, but most of the time I have to restart the push, or even unplug it (and it makes bitwig crash from time to time). And there is no plugin on the audio track generally.
I did not think about looking in the console, I will do it next time it happens and let you. My music production machine is still on 7, maybe I should consider an upgrade
This could really be the issue but also faulty USB cable or problematic USB hub.
banermattou wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:57 pm when deleting another device than the last one from a track, the push then consider the track as empty, and I need to select another track and come back to it to be able to see the devices on the track
Yes, a long standing Bitwig bug.
banermattou wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:57 pm in session view, pressing duplicate, then a clip, and releasing duplicate will duplicate the clip on the next slot (which is good) erasing the clip it contains if it was not empty (which is annoying, particularly because it can't be undone)
I could not reproduce that. Can you please give some exact steps?
banermattou wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:57 pm only the midi from channel 1 are displayed in the sequencers. it is fine most of the time because bitwig redirect by default all the input to chan 1, but I am using a mpe controller and can't modify what I played because I need 16 channels.
Uh, that's a tough one. Not sure if there is a solution for that since these sequencers are not designed to support MPE data.
banermattou wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:57 pm pressing track two times allows to select the return tracks. But the push gets unresponsive for few seconds every time when I do it (most often by mistake)
How many tracks do you have when this happens? Any specific plugins involved?
banermattou wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:57 pm browsing the presets is slow even when preview is off (don't know why bitwig is still loading the preset, that is missing all the point of turning preview off haha)
I am afraid that one is for Bitwig. But you can switch off this preloading in the browser in case you have not noticed.
banermattou wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:57 pm selecting multi notes in sequencer could be easier by long pressing them in the same time instead of holding select
That is problematic since this is used for the length change of the note.
banermattou wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:57 pm when pressing new clip, overdub should imo be turned off by default (to avoid editing the clip when we continue by mistake to play after the clip ends)
I have no info when the clip ends (and the API is not real time).
banermattou wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:57 pm it would be great to be able to browse and add samples in session view
You already can:
1) Keep the browse button pressed
2) Press the pad into which you want to load the sample
3) Use the cursor left/right keys to select the Samples tab in the browser.

melodyz wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:23 pm hi sir I found a strange thing that happend on the fire controller after updating to Bitwig 4.1.2. I added a 4th track with a vst and the colored lights that normally mark a scale all went white so all the pads were white when they should have had the root notes pink. I deleted the track restarted bitwig etc and it finally went back to normal.
Could it be that the track color was white? Somehow to related to the new color palette feature?

Return to “Controller Scripting”