How important is the piano roll to you?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wuworld wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:38 pm
chk071 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:46 pm
thecontrolcentre wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:15 pm
wuworld wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:10 pm When making music, how important is the piano roll for you? Or maybe you don't use it.
It's important. How about you? Why do you care what others do?
OP is on a roll today, it seems.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=576023

viewtopic.php?f=102&t=576022

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=576021

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=576020
Why are you still replying in my threads?
Why not? I don't explicitely look who created the thread. I just noticed that you create a lot of threads asking for opinions, with a one liner opener.

I see nothing wrong with encouraging discussion. Isn't that what forums are for?

I'd say it's the most important thing. Unfortunately, DAW devs think exactly the opposite way.

I gave up, but if a dev wants a real 2022 piano roll update, then they know where to find me.

First come, first serve :hihi:

Erisian wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:47 pm I see nothing wrong with encouraging discussion. Isn't that what forums are for?
Which food is good?

chk071 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:54 pm
Erisian wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:47 pm I see nothing wrong with encouraging discussion. Isn't that what forums are for?
Which food is good?
Do you mean good as in tasty or good as in nutritious and how good constitutes good for the purpose of this discussion?

You got my point. :tu:

In regards of this thread, I wouldn't even know how to make music without the piano roll. Is there even a way? You can't seriously play in all of the instruments live, can you? I mean, you could, but... how? Timing will be bad. Arrangement will be a pain. I really can't imagine that. At least for electronic music.

Anyway, the OP is of course allowed to ask anything. It's just that, without further explanation, this and other opinion polls will be quite purposeless.

A couple of points:

1.When I moved from Logic (Win) to Live, discussion and ”culture” of composing songs by poking squeres by mouse to a canvas (so called piano roll) appeared stupid.
To me composing interface was keyboard or guitar strings/fretboard.
Poking dots with a mouse appeared a child’s interface. Clumsy and one-dimensional.
Suitable maybe just for the EDM.

2. Now, especially with the Live 11, piano roll editing (and even composing) makes more sense to me. Live 11 includes quite a nice piano roll, including e.g. multiple clips editing in one interface, and better editing tools. Today piano roll one additional tool, but not the major composing tool for me, but really great to have.

But still, composing for me is a sound thing, not a visual thing. So far no better sound making and developing interface has been made, than the music instrument, itself.
You can play and test harmonies, counterpoint, rhythms etc. much better.

Then the notes. I know, that many of the
”real” Classical music composers use mainly notes (paper and pencil, or notation programm), for making music.
Could that be comparable to the piano roll?
Well, not quite. The piano roll still has less informatuon than than a partiture.

One reason why I purchased the Cubase pro 11 was, that Live doesn’t have the notation connected to the piano roll, but Cubase (and Logic) has.

But I hate the Cubase interface, I haven’t learned to used it much.
The MuseScore is quite a good, you can convert the Live’s piano roll/MIDI to notes via that.

Keyboard/guitar + DAW Live/piano roll + notation is a pretty good combination.
And will be better in the future.

chk071 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:03 pm In regards of this thread, I wouldn't even know how to make music without the piano roll. Is there even a way? You can't seriously play in all of the instruments live, can you? I mean, you could, but... how? Timing will be bad. Arrangement will be a pain. I really can't imagine that. At least for electronic music.
Either play in live , print directly to audio or record midi either quantized or not
People are too obessed with how the notes look on the screen , it's just data and it doesn't matter if it represented as a number or a interactive horizontal line etc ...
Believe it or not , lot's of great elec.music stuff was made before paino rolls were even a thing.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

I know that. But, frankly, 99% of today's DAW features are for comfort, including the piano roll. No, I really wouldn't want to be without it. Up to the point where it's totally essential for me.

chk071 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:03 pm In regards of this thread, I wouldn't even know how to make music without the piano roll. Is there even a way? You can't seriously play in all of the instruments live, can you? I mean, you could, but... how? Timing will be bad. Arrangement will be a pain. I really can't imagine that. At least for electronic music.
While using the piano roll to create music is certainly valid given that you're using it and not just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks, you really should explore gaining proficiency on an instrument. There's a feedback loop that develops over time between your brain and what comes out of the instrument that opens up realms you might not otherwise experience. It's also fun and rewarding. It's definitely worth the time (and admittedly, mental pain). A good dose of OCD helps.

This is an interesting question, if for no other reason than I had never even imagined someone might not find the piano roll to be of the utmost importance. It's literally where the notes are.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Yes, but some just play and record, be it audio or MIDI. Especially for the purely acoustic people who solely record to audio files anyway, PRVs aren‘t important at all, but also for people who have had a long carrier of playing piano or synthesizers / workststion KBs live these can merely be some nice convenience sometimes they also don‘t have to rely on
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

jamcat wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:19 am This is an interesting question, if for no other reason than I had never even imagined someone might not find the piano roll to be of the utmost importance. It's literally where the notes are.
Well, if you're really hardcore there's usually a MIDI event list somewhere 8)

(Actually those can be quite powerful for doing microscopic timing / pitch-bend / velocity things, or cleaning up mysterious chaff emitted by controllers.)

To each their own. But I find it a challenge to have control over everything at my fingertips. Creating what I want.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”