Roland Cloud

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
JX-3P Roland Cloud

astralprojection wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:40 am bit worried what you said about the original filter not being the same in the SW version. considering a filter is like at least 30-40% of the sound of a synth; how you are able to tweak that filter is extremely important. and if the SW version doesnt go as high as the hardware, kinda feels a bit scary.
with this limitation, would you still recommend it as sounding true to the original?
Good question. I haven't had the hardware synth for about 25 years, so I can't really give any truly educated answers here :D Listening to some YouTube comparisons, the filter difference is only apparent in some patches (like the classic Classic Sweeper), but everyone can decide for themselves how important that is. I'm mostly interested in why there is such a difference in the first place, since we are "modeling" a 100% digital synth. And true to typical Roland (Cloud) style, there hasn't been a single comment or explanation about this.
Last edited by Captain on Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Examigan wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:14 pm
vulpes777 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:52 am
Examigan wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:37 am
Brian.McClelland wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:11 am
Chrisk-K wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:51 am
vulpes777 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:52 pm Sooo...JD-800 has been updated to version 1.0.1. Any idea where could I find the release notes?

I doubt they have updated the filter and the erratic behavior I had noticed with the TVA attack is still there.

Regards,

--
Marco
I'm wondering as well. Can't Roland issue update notes?
Hi, Marco and Chrisk-K! Brian from Roland Cloud here. Great question. The Roland Cloud JD-800 1.01 update primarily features improved patch data and bank file (.bin) handling. Now, the JD-800 correctly ignores incompatible patches and bank files. Thanks!
The Rename button's spelling was fixed, but the Dan Solaris bank still messes up the name field in the JD-800. Letters are written over each other in parts of it.

name field.jpg
That's because the actual bank name is so long it overlaps with the tuning information at the top right. I don't think much can be done besides renaming the bank to something more manageable like "Don Solaris".
Yep that’s what I did, but they didn’t notice it I guess.
Hey, friends! Brian from Roland Cloud here. We actually did update the Don Solaris pack the week that it came out. Don made an amendment to the sounds and we corrected the titling a few days after release. If you uninstall his collection and reinstall it from the Library in Roland Cloud Manager, it should reflect these changes. Thanks! 😊

Brian.McClelland wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:28 pm

Hi, Marco and Chrisk-K! Brian from Roland Cloud here. Great question. The Roland Cloud JD-800 1.01 update primarily features improved patch data and bank file (.bin) handling. Now, the JD-800 correctly ignores incompatible patches and bank files. Thanks!
The Rename button's spelling was fixed, but the Dan Solaris bank still messes up the name field in the JD-800. Letters are written over each other in parts of it.

name field.jpg
That's because the actual bank name is so long it overlaps with the tuning information at the top right. I don't think much can be done besides renaming the bank to something more manageable like "Don Solaris".
Hey, friends! Brian from Roland Cloud here. We actually did update the Don Solaris pack the week that it came out. Don made an amendment to the sounds and we corrected the titling a few days after release. If you uninstall his collection and reinstall it from the Library in Roland Cloud Manager, it should reflect these changes. Thanks! 😊
Hey Brian! Caine123 from KVR Forum here. why dont you guys add Sysex import? these plugins arent the cheapest either so it would be cool to have more user friendly controls/options. Thanks!
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

name field.jpg
Hi Brian, that's good to hear; however, the bank isn't listed as an updatable asset in RCM and if I do an uninstall/reinstall, the name in the JD800 patch list does not change. Do I need to manually remove the old bank data for the update to succeed?*

Either way, if this has indeed been updated, it would be well worth a minor version number change, which I see it has been done in the past for a few other patch banks, because if you hadn't tell us we'd have no way to know about the update.

Also, this is why you REALLY need to implement release notes:

>Don made an amendment to the sounds

If I had been using any of those patches in a project, I would have liked to know in advance if there's any chance they could sound different after an update.

*EDIT: Nope, even after a clean redownload the bank name is still the same and the version is stuck at 1.0.0.

Regards,

--
Marco

Caine123 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:50 pm

name field.jpg
Hey Brian! Caine123 from KVR Forum here. why dont you guys add Sysex import? these plugins arent the cheapest either so it would be cool to have more user friendly controls/options. Thanks!
Hi, Caine123 from KVR Forum! :hihi: I see what you did there.

Yes, the SYSEX question. There have been a number of requests for the implementation of SYSEX integration with the JD-800. At this time, I do not have SYSEX integration on the roadmap to my knowledge. The reason that I was given for this is because the JD-800 VST does not exactly match the parameters of the original unit, so any data from an original unit could not be accurately interpreted by the VST the way something with 1:1 parameters could. The D-50 VST was unique in its 1:1 parameter, and did allow for the integration of SYSEX data, but not every modern version of these classic instruments can. I will add your request to our weekly list, as we are tracking demand for these features for future versions. Thanks!

Hey, friends! Brian from Roland Cloud here. Just a quick note.

This week, we've released the UK Invasion Sound Pack by designer Matt Thibideau for the Jupiter-8 Model Expansion for Zenology Pro.

From January 13th to January 27th, Test Drive the Jupiter-8 Model Expansion and the Jupiter-8 UK Invasion Model Expansion Sound Pack. Simply open Roland Cloud Manager and install the Jupiter-8 Model Expansion and "UK Invasion" from your library. Make sure you have Zenology installed.*

Go pure pop with Jupiter-8 UK Invasion from sound designer Matt Thibideau, a rich patch collection for the Jupiter-8 Model Expansion for Zenology and compatible ZEN-Core hardware.

Check it out today. Thanks! 😊

https://www.rolandcloud.com/news/new-ju ... on-sound-p

Brian.McClelland wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:03 pm
Caine123 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:50 pm

name field.jpg
Hi, Caine123 from KVR Forum! :hihi: I see what you did there.

Yes, the SYSEX question. There have been a number of requests for the implementation of SYSEX integration with the JD-800. At this time, I do not have SYSEX integration on the roadmap to my knowledge. The reason that I was given for this is because the JD-800 VST does not exactly match the parameters of the original unit, so any data from an original unit could not be accurately interpreted by the VST the way something with 1:1 parameters could. The D-50 VST was unique in its 1:1 parameter, and did allow for the integration of SYSEX data, but not every modern version of these classic instruments can. I will add your request to our weekly list, as we are tracking demand for these features for future versions. Thanks!
Hey Brian! Hahaha cool, really cool you took it with humour ;).
Thx for replying, i was kinda thinking you dont read the feedbacks, im happy that you do! Thx for that and hope you huys can work out something. The jd800 is really one jewel and would love to have a full featured vst :). Thx guys
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Hi Brian, any news on getting reverb in the FX sections? There are a host of classic RV and SRV models and surely Roland still has the algorithms somewhere?

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:10 am Hi Brian, any news on getting reverb in the FX sections? There are a host of classic RV and SRV models and surely Roland still has the algorithms somewhere?
And I reiterate: there IS a reverb, buried in the mfx of the jd-800 expansion; so they do have ported a very decent reverb to Zenology already, just decided not to make it available to the core engine.

Also, speaking of eyebrows-raising shortcomings: a modern synthesizer without at least a basic arpeggiator, especially one that features sounds and expansions from old glories that DID have one, is, once again, a really baffling decision.

Also, while we're at it: the patch browser. I hate it with a passion.

-- as a matter of fact no, I don't, I kind of love it; what I DO hate is it that, on Windows (no idea about the Mac counterpart), it's modal to the plugin GUI AND the host, so if I'm auditioning patches and I want to tweak a parameter or, say, turn down the track gain a bit, I get the "No can do, chief!" sound from the OS and I need to close the browser window before I can do anything of the sort. Next patch, maybe it sounds barely audible and I want to hear it better...you guessed it: I have to close the browser window again. Hope you can see why this can quickly get frustrating.

This problem is not limited to Zenology, by the way*, and it's what I consider a terribile design decision that I hope to see fixed at some point.

*but at least the other plugins all have a simple patch menu in the main GUI, so in the end I only need to open the patch+category browser if I need to do some advanced filtering or I'm importing/exporting sounds.

Regards,

--
Marco

For sure one thing I would like to see on Zenology- improved patch browser.

But I would say the same thing for the Fantom...maybe not the browser, but the whole "scene" vs "single" mode is strange (maybe because I usually use Korg) with the way it works.

name field.jpg
Hi Brian from Roland Cloud,
This does not work. I uninstalled. Then I rebooted. Then I loaded the JD-800 to verify that it was uninstalled. Then I reinstalled (as you stated) and same old garbled version appeared.

So maybe you fixed it. But apparently it wasn't made available. Can you please verify and advise?

I can confirm that here. I even went into the folder and deleted the Solaris bank to make sure it was gone, loaded JD-800 to make it was not there anymore, then reinstalled it, but it has the same issue.

I noticed in RCM it still shows that bank as being v1.0.0, instead of maybe 1.0.1 (if it was updated).
The bank can be renamed manually of course, but I thought it was fixed. (?)

Captain wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:56 pm
astralprojection wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:40 am bit worried what you said about the original filter not being the same in the SW version. considering a filter is like at least 30-40% of the sound of a synth; how you are able to tweak that filter is extremely important. and if the SW version doesnt go as high as the hardware, kinda feels a bit scary.
with this limitation, would you still recommend it as sounding true to the original?
Good question. I haven't had the hardware synth for about 25 years, so I can't really give any truly educated answers here :D Listening to some YouTube comparisons, the filter difference is only apparent in some patches (like the classic Classic Sweeper), but everyone can decide for themselves how important that is. I'm mostly interested in why there is such a difference in the first place, since we are "modeling" a 100% digital synth. And true to typical Roland (Cloud) style, there hasn't been a single comment or explanation about this.
thanks! 25 years is a long time :D
well its not just modeling a digital synth, i think thats easy, its also modeling the dac of the synth; im pretty sure it had an analog output stage or correct me if im wrong. so that also plays a part in it all, to recreate this very specific roland LA digital sound, because digital can also have different sounds :)

If anyone really wants a real JD-800 I noticed that Steve Hillage's is on sale on Reverb
https://reverb.com/uk/item/39390336-ex- ... emory-card

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Quick question about the subscription. this was my first year and I found it quite interesting.
Got Ultimate presently and expire/renew soon (have to decide).

1. If I want to renew, do I need to choose my 2 lifetime key before renewal ? or at the renewal it increase to 4 the number of available lifetime key and I have another year before making my choice?
2. knowing lifetime key not apply for buying Zenology pro, if I buy it does it give me extra to subscribe to Core or even Pro ?
3. Is it possible to downgrade my subscription from Ultimate to Pro (or Core)
4. One of my 2 computer get old (13year) and have to change it this year. Is it easy to remove the application on that PC and installing in another one whitout hassles ?

Thank you for your answer

Return to “Instruments”