Pigments 3.5 vs Dune 3.5

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

I think Dune with the filter closed most of the way sounds exceptional for software. Very warm and comforting and silky. Slowly bring the cut off fader up and all sorts of loveliness starts being introduced. Got lots of HW synths that don't sound anywhere near as good.

Had the Pigments demo but got distracted, it was ok. Would give it another bash.

Main issue with Pigment and a lot of other newer Arturia synths is the CPU load. So much bloat with all the effects and modulation going on.
The sample engine in Pigment is really well designed and can do sound design tricks very few other synths can do. Other than that I don't find it particularly inspiring.

I spent some time recently demoing both Pigments 3.5 and Dune 3.5. When it comes to sound quality, I’m actually surprised there is even a debate. Dune sounds bigger, punchier, fatter and better in every way when compared to Pigments. Pigments just sounds digital and somewhat thin to me while Dune has an analog vibe. The effects in Dune also seem to be higher quality. When it comes to UI, I think Pigments clearly wins, but it’s not like Dune is bad.

Pigments demo has been uninstalled and I’m going to be purchasing Dune.

I agree with you, but human tastes vary widely.
Some people actually love digital somewhat thin. Some don't even think it sounds digital and somewhat thin.

rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:27 pm I agree with you, but human tastes vary widely.
Some people actually love digital somewhat thin. Some don't even think it sounds digital and somewhat thin.

rsp
Absolutely. I was being a bit hyperbolic when I said that I was surprised there’s even a debate. I can see how some would like the sound of Pigments and it definitely has its place, specially in modern EDM styles or for SFX sounds.

zvenx wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:27 pm I agree with you, but human tastes vary widely.

rsp

Some ppl just make noises they like that fit the song and don't worry about thick/thin/analogue/digital or kvr.....

But they are very rare :hihi:

Yeah, you can do a LOT (!) more with Pigments. But if all you want is typical VA sounds (and some wavetable stuff), Dune will give better immediate results.

Pigments is also more fun, though. ;)

I see most of the ppl want all synths sound the same.

Introspective wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:41 am Yeah, you can do a LOT (!) more with Pigments. But if all you want is typical VA sounds (and some wavetable stuff), Dune will give better immediate results.

Pigments is also more fun, though. ;)
Just don't forget that you can do a lot more with Dune, too
Weapons of choice (subject to change):
Godin Redline, Kuassa, Fuse Audio, Audiority, Roland A-500pro, Dune, Dagger, TAL, Reaper for Rock & Synthwave pleasures; Viper and FL Studio for guilty EDM pleasures

Dencheg wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:38 am
Just don't forget that you can do a lot more with Dune, too
Pigments has a lot more synthesis options than Dune does... it is not even close!

AnX wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:35 am

rsp
Some ppl just make noises they like that fit the song and don't worry about thick/thin/analogue/digital or kvr.....
Not to mention that thickness has its own problems. Like, some of those times when I get a thick Moog bass sound going, record it into my DAW, then have to EQ half of that thickness out so it fits in the mix. :dog:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

zvenx wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:27 pm Human tastes vary widely....
And if humans taste too much,they can become very wide :wink:
No auto tune...

digitalboytn wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:50 am
zvenx wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:27 pm Human tastes vary widely....
And if humans taste too much,they can become very wide :wink:
Sounds like someone’s been hanging out at the Golden Corral :lol:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Is that a buffet ?
No auto tune...

digitalboytn wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:17 am Is that a buffet ?
All you can eat, baby! 8)

Return to “Instruments”