Cubase 12 leaked on Steinberg's site

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Or was for sale until recently, don't know.

chk071 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:17 pm Ok, so that's the new thing. Unfortunately, there's no info about software using the existzing licensing scheme (eLicenser), and whether it will be updated to use the new thing.

I hope Wavelab 11 at least will be updated to the new system. I just bought an upgrade from 10 to 11 for Wavelab Elements (I always loved the software).
I have Absolute, and from reading through the rest of this thread, it sounds like if I update to Cubase 12 and want to use Absolute, I'll still have to use the dongle for that.
When Absolute has an update, then it should become part of the new system.

That would be my guess.
rsp
sound sculptist

In this video, I look at Steinberg's replacement for the venerable dongle, Steinberg Activation Manager. This is a huge step change for Steinberg in terms of their professional music software licencing, so I've spent a bit of time looking at it, and looking at some of the less standard situations you may want to licence your software in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebQ44VvbA9A
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

chk071 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:28 pm Meh... that really sounded differently in the statement I remember. So, I guess that stuff like Halion Orchestra will never be updated, and that I can wait until Wavelab Elements 12, until I can get rid of the dongle for that. Not so good.
I guess you are lucky. HSO seems to be the first library updated to the new scheme as it is used in Dorico

Oh... nice. :) Thanks for the info.

I hope Cubase 12 comes with a huge visual overhaul and smoother MIDI editing experience. It's looking quite dated compared to FL Studio and Studio One. Those feel so smooth and are easy on the eyes.

Any confirmed info on what is coming in Cubase 12 other than the new license system?

Last edited by Synthack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.... ...

Regarding the new licensing, I found a useful page with a list of the Steinberg software which uses the new licensing system, which will be updated whenever another software is using it. https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... -Licensing

The free Dorico SE 4 can already be activated using the new system, I just did so.

GMusic wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:24 am I hope Cubase 12 comes with a huge visual overhaul and smoother MIDI editing experience. It's looking quite dated compared to FL Studio and Studio One. Those feel so smooth and are easy on the eyes.

Any confirmed info on what is coming in Cubase 12 other than the new license system?
I quite like the recent Cubase look. I vaguely remember they went for a less 3D look a while back. I hope they never go that full route. Like the Fabfilter GUIs - I f**king hate those with a passion. It automatically stops me buying a plugin if it's so fugly I can't stand looking at it. There are one or two that I use but they're rare. There's no excuse for making a GUI that looks like it was drawn in primary school nowadays. :roll:

Just following the latest trend isn't necessarily a good idea. Certain aspects of GUI, workflow etc work, so don't change them just to be trendy. Actually I give extra brownie points to Steinberg for not changing like underpants. If it works, it works, leave it alone.

^^^ +1 I've just seen Logic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vaeORTaoSs
please no :o
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

kritikon wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:39 pm
GMusic wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:24 am I hope Cubase 12 comes with a huge visual overhaul and smoother MIDI editing experience. It's looking quite dated compared to FL Studio and Studio One. Those feel so smooth and are easy on the eyes.

I quite like the recent Cubase look. I vaguely remember they went for a less 3D look a while back. I hope they never go that full route. Like the Fabfilter GUIs - I f**king hate those with a passion. It automatically stops me buying a plugin if it's so fugly I can't stand looking at it. There are one or two that I use but they're rare. There's no excuse for making a GUI that looks like it was drawn in primary school nowadays. :roll:

Just following the latest trend isn't necessarily a good idea. Certain aspects of GUI, workflow etc work, so don't change them just to be trendy. Actually I give extra brownie points to Steinberg for not changing like underpants. If it works, it works, leave it alone.
True, it is less distracting to have bubbly 3-D graphics. My hope is moreso on the visual smoothness. If you edit Midi in Fl Studio or paint/adjust clips/audio and compare it to Cubase, Fl is definitely smoother feeling and visually more pleasing somehow, IMO. It’s not a deal breaker of course, and doesn’t necessarily need fixing, but improvement is always welcomed. :)

So, true to title of the topic - are there any leaks concerning actual NEW FEATURES of Cubase 12?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

kritikon wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:39 pm

The Fabfilter GUI's are some of the best in the business imo. I absolutely love them . And they are way more functional than anything i've used before.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

To each their own of course, but I bought Cubase cause it looks and works like Cubase, for them to change the UX at this stage would be a deal breaker for me.
Of course little GUI tweaks along the way are understandable.

I like Fabfilter's GUIs in theory, they look good, but in working with them they are not my favourites at all as I definitely do not find them intuitive.

rsp
sound sculptist

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”