Ableton Live 11

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Live

EnochLight wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:02 pm
thecontrolcentre wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:39 pm What is so difficult about installing your VSTs to one folder? All my vst2s are in sub folders inside a VST folder, my VST3s are all in my VST3 folder. I have hundreds of plugins installed and only IK give you no option to change the default folder. I move them to my VST folder after installation. Live allows for 2 locations for VST2 & 2 locations for VST3. That's more than enough imho.
If you’re installing all of your plugins for the very first time - all at once - that certainly is an option. But if you’ve been collecting plugins for a decade+ and have then installed in various default folders, then it’s more of a problem. In virtually any other DAW it’s easy to address, but in Live… not so much.
I have been collecting plugins for decades and worked out that installing everything to their default folders as a bad idea many, many years ago. Most have the option to install to a custom folder. If users can't be bothered to change the install path then they're just causing themselves problems further down the road.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:12 am I have been collecting plugins for decades and worked out that installing everything to their default folders as a bad idea many, many years ago. Most have the option to install to a custom folder. If users can't be bothered to change the install path then they're just causing themselves problems further down the road.
I still have yet to see a reasonable explanation why Ableton is literally one of the only major DAW that don’t allow multiple plugin folder paths. The fact that you feel the onus is 100% on the user to prepare just makes my point even more.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:02 pm
thecontrolcentre wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:39 pm What is so difficult about installing your VSTs to one folder? All my vst2s are in sub folders inside a VST folder, my VST3s are all in my VST3 folder. I have hundreds of plugins installed and only IK give you no option to change the default folder. I move them to my VST folder after installation. Live allows for 2 locations for VST2 & 2 locations for VST3. That's more than enough imho.
If you’re installing all of your plugins for the very first time - all at once - that certainly is an option. But if you’ve been collecting plugins for a decade+ and have then installed in various default folders, then it’s more of a problem. In virtually any other DAW it’s easy to address, but in Live… not so much.
So you're wanting more than two locations.. I haver to admit this is just whack to me. I've set up PCs and never had any issue with locations, just use a single VST folder, maybe two so you can disable one for things like iLok, or possibly unstable plug ins, that's it. On Mac it's down to two default OS level locations and a third location if you want in preferences.

It's all good I guess, but it would drive me nuts having more than two locations for VSTs, manufacturers on Mac OS instal in either the core directory or user directory, mostly core. Way too messy having multiple locations for VSTs, if anything went wrong crashing wise it would drive me nuts, far more nuts than a DAW not allowing multiple VST locations because the plug in developers just go hog wild on Windows... :?

machinesworking wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:39 am So you're wanting more than two locations..
Correct!
machinesworking wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:39 am I have to admit this is just whack to me. I've set up PCs and never had any issue with locations, just use a single VST folder, maybe two so you can disable one for things like iLok, or possibly unstable plug ins, that's it. On Mac it's down to two default OS level locations and a third location if you want in preferences.

It's all good I guess, but it would drive me nuts having more than two locations for VSTs, manufacturers on Mac OS instal in either the core directory or user directory, mostly core. Way too messy having multiple locations for VSTs, if anything went wrong crashing wise it would drive me nuts, far more nuts than a DAW not allowing multiple VST locations because the plug in developers just go hog wild on Windows... :?
What's wack to me is that Ableton is literally one of the only DAW that I can think of that doesn't allow multiple folder locations. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ And yeah, if I had a disk drive failure and found myself reinstalling everything (instead of just restoring using a cloned drive - which is the more likely scenario for me), I'd certainly be sure to re-install all of my plugins into 1 single folder just for Ableton. I just spent a little time doing the shortcut solution, and that's working fine for now. If Ableton kills that "feature" as was alluded to in an earlier post in this thread, I guess I'll have to resort to Symlinks.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

I guess the location limit simply appeals to their sense of order. Mine as well. As many people has said, Live is much easier once you bend to its will. Err... Adapt to its methods and stop worrying about how other DAWs do it.

jonljacobi wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:38 am I guess the location limit simply appeals to their sense of order. Mine as well. As many people has said, Live is much easier once you bend to its will. Err... Adapt to its methods and stop worrying about how other DAWs do it.
that's pretty much true of everything and a good way to go really if someone just wants to get on w/it and be productive.

jonljacobi wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:38 am As many people has said, Live is much easier once you bend to its will. Err... Adapt to its methods and stop worrying about how other DAWs do it.
LOL! True, true. Oddly enough, this is the attitude I had with Propellerhead (err.. Reason Studios) Reason until recently. I ended up going all-in with Ableton Live after a buggy Reason 12 launch (I still can't effectively use it on my admittedly older computer anymore), and my external hardware ecosystem is Akai's MPC and Force, which integrate extremely well with Ableton Live. But, I digress... I'm good now. :party: :tu:

EnochLight wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:25 pmI'm good now. :party: :tu:
Are you? :?
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

sQeetz wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:28 pm Are you? :?
Are you..? :?:

EnochLight wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:33 pm Are you..? :?:
I actually am, thanks :)

How kind of you. No need to be loud, though

sQeetz wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:25 pm I actually am, thanks :)

How kind of you. No need to be loud, though
Good to hear. Not being loud - the bold italics only highlight my confusion as to why you'd ask the question to begin with. :hihi:
Last edited by EnochLight on Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Last edited by sQeetz on Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

what? It's all good

sQeetz wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:23 pm what? It's all good
:tu: :hug:

EnochLight wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:31 pm
sQeetz wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:23 pm what? It's all good
:tu: :hug:
I don't have a clue what happened, but
You're the best :hug:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”