Vember Audio Shortcircuit is now open source!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Shortcircuit XT

syntonica wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:03 pm
wikter wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:05 pm
syntonica wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:37 pm There's PPC code
PPC Code in a only windows old code? great.
It was part way to being Macked. Or, Applified? Well, it looks like it was half-ported... Considering ARM sits somewhere between, I'm not sure if any of it is usable other than to be stripped out.
That was 2006... and it was C++

wikter wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:02 am
syntonica wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:03 pm
wikter wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:05 pm
syntonica wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:37 pm There's PPC code
PPC Code in a only windows old code? great.
It was part way to being Macked. Or, Applified? Well, it looks like it was half-ported... Considering ARM sits somewhere between, I'm not sure if any of it is usable other than to be stripped out.
That was 2006... and it was C++
Yes, indeed it was, complete with AltiVec extensions and probably some BigEndian byte-swapping I missed.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

MTorn wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:16 pmGrace is one I wish I'd be able to try
https://www.onesmallclue.com/index.html

Musical Gym wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:35 am
Ah, but I’m on a Mac, and this is Windows only. Unless I’m missing something?

MTorn wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:34 am
Musical Gym wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:35 am
Ah, but I’m on a Mac, and this is Windows only. Unless I’m missing something?
Isn't there something like Wine for Mac? But it won't work for Catalina and upwards.

Edit: But now enough of derailing this thread, which is supposed to be about Shortcircuit, the end-all-be-all sampler...

anyway yeah now that surge xt is out we are turning more attention to sc.

for those of you who asked what you can do. Here's three ideas

1. if you are a coder we have lots of work but i know many of you arent, and that's cool

2. we've had massive advances in the last fortnight already because folks who know sc have been sharing presets and helping test what works today

3. please be patient, but excited, but patient, but excited, but really, patient :). The SC code we got was in worse shape than the surge 1.6 code, and remember that took us 6 months to get to a runnable state. We hope 'in 2022' you can do stuff but our first milestone is just called 'darned thing runs' and that has a lot of work still.

4. and if you have internalized 1-3 and want to try some super janky alpha software, download a nightly, give it a whirl, and goto 3. Although you really may be better waiting a few weeks, and if you do this, we strongly recommend you join our discord which is a way better way to reach us.

:)

All very cool!
I’m afraid that all I’d be able to contribute would be would be feature requests, input on the GUI development, and maybe a list of features and workflows found in other samplers that I feel could be worth incorporating. But I suspect that it might be more annoying than helpful!

Nevertheless, how would I find you on Discord?

"be patient, but excited, but patient, but excited, but really, patient"

All in on number 3!

MTorn wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:38 am Nevertheless, how would I find you on Discord?
https://discord.gg/aFQDdMV

You can also find that link on the surge about page (and soon on the shortcircuit about page but not yet :) )

Still use SC2 to this day, one of the few that prefer it over sc1. A few requests that I would pay top dollar for.

1a. Timestretching

1b. Auto Slicing/Chopping e.g tx16wx

2a. Auditioning/autoload of wav/aiff samples in browser just like SC2 auditions sfz (it auto loads sfz idk why it was never programmed to do the same for .wav/aiff)

2b. Automap sample to region similar to tx16wx just set root key beforehand and your good to go!!

*3*. Scrolling through the browser via midi cc!! I am an old school VST guy(been around since massiva/ext) and I know of only 2 plugins that are capable of this. The now abandoned V-Sampler 3 and Geist 2. V-Sampler used program change and bank change messages to browse your personal library(16,384) while Geist 2 allows you to assign midi cc to up,down, previous folder, and enter folder (essentially unlimited). However the Geist 2 GUI needs to be opened at least once or it won't do anything (a bug that is consistent in multiple daws)

I'm super grateful that the source code was made available as it's something I literally have dreamed of. And i know I'm requesting a lot especially with that last request but having that workstation flow with a modernized SC2 would be a godsend. Where can I donate by the way?? I've bought loads of plugins over the years and they all fall short. Tx16wx would be great if it wasn't so darn cumbersome and I use Kontakt only for the libraries. You guys are awesome for this and i would love to test whatever improvements you all make

P.S. I'm totally willing to hire a freelance programmer to assist the team. Please pm and let me know if you all are interested.🙏🥺

A Dimension Pro style skin, and support for it's SFZ's, would be great. Supporting DecentSampler format, and continued REX support would both be wonderful, and considering the idea I posted at U-he (a touchscreen preset interface) would be cool:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=577424&p=8346689#p8346689

Cheers

I doubt we will make SCXT look like DPro - in general the idea is to make it much simpler skinning compared to Surge - so most likely only adjusting colors and fonts, with the layout being fixed, might be the way to go.

SFZ support sure. REX support considering it's closed source, and very likely not compatible with GPL3, probably not happening (but I'm not 100% sure about legal implications here).

Accessibility is high on our priority list, if you check out Surge XT you will find a lot of effort has been put into making the GUI accessible to screen readers.

Synth1 has the adjustable colors for background and fonts, practical, and fun to experiment with. Simplicity for SCXT makes perfect sense. The Surge accessibility
should be good news for many potential users. A pclinuxos packager, onkelho, has made an rpm for their repository, as yet unofficial, but it's already up on his own repository at

https://qua-it.org/XFCE/repo/apt/quait/ ... x86_64.rpm

Cheers

Surge also has RPM package that we supply. https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/re ... /releases/

pclinuxos is a bit different under the hood, compared to Suse and Fedora, hence the unique rpm build, but they probably got a nice headstart if they looked at your's 8)

Return to “Instruments”