Software Synths VS. Digital Hardware Synths.

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Jerome63
KVRer
14 posts since 7 Mar, 2009

Post Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:08 am

Digital hardware provide a form of control the computer doesn't... yet software is very very convenient... I think it just depends how much you like the synth and what connection you have with it...

chaocrator
KVRist
59 posts since 8 Sep, 2015

Post Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:06 pm

pixel85 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:54 am I'm yet to see a midi controller with let's say 30 or more knobs/faders, positioned on the panel like in a good synth (instead of an awful grid 8x8) with sections and labels for ad(h)sr, filters, oscillators etc... which are automatically connected to matched parameters in a synth (cut off parameter = cut off knob), every time I switch instrument channel in DAW. Assigning those parameters manually, adding labels manually - this is not fun, it's simply tedious and it's killing my workflow.
i did exactly that for my Blofeld, which is obviously not software :hihi:
just because menu diving is tedious as well.

btw, anyone knows modern MIDI controllers with actually 30 or more knobs/faders?
except for Launch Control XL.
because my old trusted Remote Zero SL and Bitstream 3x won't last forever.

pixel85
KVRAF
1657 posts since 11 Apr, 2008

Post Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:17 pm

chaocrator wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:06 pm
pixel85 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:54 am I'm yet to see a midi controller with let's say 30 or more knobs/faders, positioned on the panel like in a good synth (instead of an awful grid 8x8) with sections and labels for ad(h)sr, filters, oscillators etc... which are automatically connected to matched parameters in a synth (cut off parameter = cut off knob), every time I switch instrument channel in DAW. Assigning those parameters manually, adding labels manually - this is not fun, it's simply tedious and it's killing my workflow.
i did exactly that for my Blofeld, which is obviously not software :hihi:
just because menu diving is tedious as well.

btw, anyone knows modern MIDI controllers with actually 30 or more knobs/faders?
except for Launch Control XL.
because my old trusted Remote Zero SL and Bitstream 3x won't last forever.
I cringe every time I see the Blofeld keyboard version with this huge empty panel :D If they were working on Blofeld 88 key version I would suggest to put only 1 knob and 2 buttons left/right (or up/down) ;) like in my JV1080 which I hate to program exactly for that reason. I will never understand why they limited the UI of this synth so much.
Beware! The software discussed in this topic has unacceptable aliasing at -386dBTP but it can be fixed by changing the sample rate to 12Bit

chaocrator
KVRist
59 posts since 8 Sep, 2015

Post Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:32 pm

mine unit is desktop.
i guess they did not want to develop two versions of UI
(that would increase costs — and it was highly undesirable at that moment)

pixel85
KVRAF
1657 posts since 11 Apr, 2008

Post Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:45 am

That's the "classic" reasoning while making keyboard version of desktop/rack synth. But I'm pretty sure that they lost plenty of sales because of how keyboard version is inconvenient to use.
For me, it was enough to see how it looks to completely lost interest in it. If they would make Blofeld with Cobalt/Argon interface, it would be another story. Although those synths aren't WYSIWYG either, but very close.
Beware! The software discussed in this topic has unacceptable aliasing at -386dBTP but it can be fixed by changing the sample rate to 12Bit

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”